Samsung to supply Olympus sensors?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by flash, May 18, 2011.

1. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    4/3rumours has reported that a meeting has taken place in which Samsung has offered Olympus a 16mp 4/3 sensor. So now we have Olympus developing their own sensor and Olympus possibly buying sensors from Samsung. Could be either, both or none of these. Whatever it is, I hope it happens soon.

Gordon

(thanks to 43rumours.com)

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I like the idea of Olympus shopping around. It has been disappointing not to see the GH sensors in any Olympus cameras, and one of the statements from a Pana exec was to the effect of [paraphrasing] "Well, we are competitors, so we need not share everything".

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    With Kodak going downwards also, I wonder how difficult it would be for Olympus to get an exclusive sensor deal with Kodak....?

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I have no idea what would be best for Olympus, but I certainly hope they've shopped all possibilities. Sony certainly comes to mind.

5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I'd be shocked if Sony built a m43 sensor for olympus. It seems it'd be very much against their best interests. It certainly would be interesting if they did (and if they sold it to others instead of just olympus)

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Sony sells sensors to all their other competitors (eg, Nikon, Pentax), so why not Oly? Panasonic is a bigger competitor for them.

7. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    They give Samsung sensor rumor an FT4 which they say is 61-80% chance of the rumor being correct. Sort of like chance of rain I guess.

8. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    One may shop at Samsung's for sensors... but also for AMOLED screens, which make a whole difference when framing in sunlight.

Also, Samsung isn't crippled by quakes and power shortages, while still being a neighbour.

Did I read well that Panasonic's Japanese factory assembling the "made in Japan" G line was based--of all places--in Fukushima? :frown:

9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    true, I guess I meant in the sense of another format rather than reselling their APS-C (or tiny p&s). A whole new line for one guaranteed customer (that isn't themselves) seems odd.