Samsung "The Frame"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tkbslc, Jul 17, 2017.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

frame-tv

Samsung has a new 4K TV that looks like matted gallery Art. It even has modes to display things like a triptych, collage, varied mat sizes, etc.

upload_2017-7-17_13-8-31.

Unfortunately it's not very cheap!

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    It's definitely nice looking. Probably the best way for manufacturers to differentiate themselves in an entirely commoditized market.

...but given that I haven't brought myself to purchase a TV of any sort, I am definitely not the target market for a 55" $2000 one...

3. tkbslc

I'm on year 8 with my $450 one, so I'm probably not either!

High quality 24x36 prints (55" 16:9 is 27" tall) are $30+ to have printed, so I guess think of it as pre-paid stack of huge prints?

I don't really want a TV in my living room anyway, so I would be more likely to spend maybe $400 on one that was just big enough to display 12x18 or so (about 25" 4:3 display should do it)

EDIT: What do you know, it actually exists: Memento Electronics 25" Smart Frame (Black) M25A013 B&H

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    They're at least several companies making 20"+ digital frames, but unfortunately they're all 16x9 aspect or wider.
    With 5:4 or 4:3 panels virtually extinct now, I've given up on the idea of a dedicated frame.
    Occasionally I'll let the screen saver on the HTPC run; I've got a few of my pics on there I've cropped to around 16x9.

5. tkbslc

That one I linked to in post #3 is a 25" 2:3 aspect ratio, which isn't as great for 4/3 users, but native aspect for every other mirrorless, DSLR and premium compact.

And with the triptych and variable matting sizes on the Samsung in the OP, I'm sure you could make 4:3 work well.

• Like Like x 1