1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Samsung Technology

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, Sep 27, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    There's some very interesting technology that Samsung is introducing in their NX1: http://www.imaging-resource.com/new...x1-redefine-pro-performance-quantum-leap-tech.

What grabbed me was something that I've wanted for years in Olympus lenses and Samsung is doing just that, being able to set the focus range (limiter) of a lens to anything that you want (scroll down to about half way). And Olympus has sort of proved that they can do this, with the new Capture software where you can do focus stacking, so the ability is clearly there, but not implemented.

2. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I've said for quite some time that Samsung is serious about the Camera business, a well built quality digital camera is a major showcase for modern technology. It can really show what a manufacturer is capable of in a variety fields, and they aren't going to stop pushing until we take them as seriously and they do themselves.

3. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Yes, both Panasonic and Olympus have been pretty darn lame about implementing a variety of features that should be easily possible with their focus by wire lenses. Focus stacking and limiters are good examples.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    If there's one thing Samsung is good at, it is taking the tech spec numbers and making them much, much bigger. And the NX1's tech specs are without a doubt very high. They may not be the first or the most innovative on the block, but pushing the limits of technical possibility (once they've been shown the right direction) is something Samsung excels at.

So the question is, as with most of Samsung's products - on paper this thing is fabulous. But what happens in the real world? What does the codec actually look like and how well does it grade? How fast does it actually focus? Is the camera actually nice to use day to day, in real life situations? And of course the nasty catch with ILC systems: is the rest of the system going to hold up?

I think the answers to all of those questions are not yet clear. But IF it really does deliver? :eek:

5. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Samsung's problem is that the badge on the camera says "Samsung", with a little known or used mount, and virtually 0 second hand market.

If they jumped into M43, I'd take them very seriously as an option for my next body, not to mention lenses.

Z...

6. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Forget the badge.... the technology in the NX1 is first rate. About the only thing that I can see 'missing' from the NX1 that I would like to have is IBIS - the EM1 has ruined me!
    The BSI sensor is a first of it's kind and should yield a dramatic increase in dynamic range, tonal range and noise improvements across the board.
    The electronic focus limiter is a fantastic idea - something I've wanted on the m43 platform for a while. I still don't understand why Panasonic with their DFD depth from defocus have not managed to implement a digital focus limiter based on this information...
    The only other manufacturer who provided something like this was Sony in the A99.

In an era where people obsess over shallowness of DOF and noise levels at insanely high ISO's, these are the types of features that camera manufacturers need to start adding to help with the keeper rate.

Make or break for Samsung for many photographers and videographers will be the glass front - Samsung have very quickly established a range of glass covering wide to telephoto. Much of their glass is very cheap to buy and looking at reviews, quite good to boot - very much built in the same vein as the Oly 45 1.8. Cheap but optically of high quality.
    Where Samsung will hurt is in the availability of 'S' grade fast primes for 35mm, nifty 50 and 85mm portrait lenses... particularly lenses optimized for both video and photography. If you shoot zooms though - Samsung's 'S' series of zooms have you covered.

7. I'm a bit more cautious regarding the possible technical improvements to the new Samsung sensor. Switching to BSI didn't seem to achieve a whole lot to the RX100 MkII vs the MkI, although the new Samsung sensor does seem to have a whole series of new design and manufacturing tricks up it's sleeve. Even if it does yield some big new numbers I want to know whether it still retains similar characteristics to the existing 20mp chip and isn't just a big soulless bucket for catching light.

On the lens front, Samsung could do with a few more prime lenses that have up-to-date focusing systems like the 45mm f1.8 rather than the current unit-focusing designs of the current pancakes, even if it does result in larger lenses. Optically the current prime lenses are great and tiny. They perform well above their pricetag (the three below cost me about $400 for a mix of new and second-hand), but the pricetag means that the material quality isn't amazing.

IMG_7029_zpse46dcc78.

The last set of rumours had 11-24mm f2.8, 24mm f1.4, and a 16-80mm f4 lenses being available in 2015, but at the moment I'm most intrigued to see how the NX300's successor will turn out.

8. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Imaging resource compared the rx100 against the mk ii variant http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/sony/rx100/vs/sony/rx100-ii/
    They found at least a stop increase in noise reduction, detail retention, dynamic range at higher ISO.

The Samsung equivalent has many other things going for it besides the BSI tech - based on (what is currently) the smallest fabrication size, use of more energy efficient materials, newer design approaches etc... I would expect big improvements over the NX300 (for example). Likely to be the best performing APS-C by a mile if only from a pure sensor perspective on DXOmark and shooting lines against a wall. Extrapolating further, at lower ISO's this may well have better dynamic range than the best Sony' sensors available.

If you like your telelphoto's .... the 85mm F1.4 is supposedly Oly 75mm beating too! :)
    http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/03/24/review-samsung-85mm-f1-4-nx/#.VCs_LfldXTo

• Like Like x 1