1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Samsung shutting down camera division?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Cederic, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    A few rumours/stories around Samsung shutting down their camera division.

Sounds very strange to me. They're producing very good quality cameras, and while I can believe the returns aren't worth the cost of capital to Samsung it seems very odd to close them down rather than sell them off or devolve into a standalone company.

Good for m43, as it means more people seeking compact non-fixed-lens cameras will buy from Olympus and Panasonic instead, but less competition is also bad.

So on the whole I think it's a shame if it's true. I like having lots of cameras out there.

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Where have you seen these rumours?

3. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
  4. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Their ne camera is supposed to have awesome AF performance. A real mirrorless benchmark. Would be a shame if they fold it up now. They should pay metabones to develop an AF adapter for 3rd-party lenses. Their lens availability is holding the, back.

5. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Totally kicking myself at not picking up the nx500 for $400au last month, still if they're going down it might come up again as a deal :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I have no idea why people are constantly dismissing Samsung's lens availability.

They have a vastly better lens line-up than Sony does for E-Mount. Either APS-C or FF.

In fact, they have the very best lens line-up in terms of bang-for-buck, outside of 3rd party DSLR lenses. Their 30mm/f2 pancake is brilliant, and is only $200!

What lenses do people think that they are really missing? A supertele and a fast ultrawide - that's probably it. There was also a 300mm/f2.8 in development...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    That's usually it...limited in long FL and fast apertures.

8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Okay.

But all that said, they're still doing about as well as Fuji in that respect (better in some places, worse in others) and significantly better than Sony.

9. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
  10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I could see Nikon caring about the Sensor division, since it is a real threat to Sony. But Nikon knows how to make a killer camera if they want to. They don't need Samsung's tech for that. Although launching a camera with some lenses on the market would eliminate the biggest barrier to new system adoption. Imagine if they made a nice native full-speed AF adapter for Nikon to NX, too. The system would suddenly be the one to beat.

11. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

If that turns out to be true that's pretty interesting. I wonder if they would keep the NX mount live? I know the rumors have been for FF mirrorless, but I can't believe they would keep a crop sensor mirrorless off the table. The NX lenses are pretty good (I had 30mm pancake for a short time and it was excellent) and they could do an adapter with AF support for the current F mount lenses. I don't think the NX mount can support FF, so they would need to have another separate mount like sony E/FE. The total lack of used market, forum community, and 3rd party support pushed me to m43 a couple years ago. But since NX was my first camera I still hoped it would succeed as a mount. I sold it like 2 weeks ago and put the money toward an EM1 :2thumbs:.

12. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I am sure that Nikon is after the sensor tech. But Samsung's tech is in mirrorless. It is logical that Nikon is looking at the acquisition as a move for mirrorless. It also makes sense to stick with the NX mount, but that doesn't mean they would. Maybe they will mimic Sony, crop-sensor NX cameras and FF NX+ cameras.

13. tkbslc

Sony FE is actually the same mount as E. You can mount FF lenses on APS-C bodies and use them natively. FE just describes lenses that cover the FF sensor. I agree that I don't think NX could fit that. Honestly, FE doesn't really fit that well which is probably the reason fast lenses are more rare.

14. tkbslc

The real issue is whether we call it Samsikon or Nikung. :biggrin:

Nikon was an early entrant into mirrorless, though. Yeah, it is 1", but it is probably the best mirrorless system in terms of AF and overall camera speed and performance. They have the tech. If they wanted an APS-C system, I don't see what would stop them from doing it in house at any time. Again, unless they just want the mount and a shortcut to lens designs.

I still think Samsung's sensor division is the only thing they really have of value to any other major brand.

15. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I know. I shopped the Nikon 1 when I was looking to buy. I probably would have gone that direction if the price was not half-again Oly prices. I still feel like a V3 with a few lenses, including the 70-300, is a great choice. It's just too pricey.

I agree Nikon is after the sensor tech.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

Completely forgot that...oops

17. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The Camera Store in Calgary has announced that Samsung is leaving the Canadian market. There have been similar announcements in the Netherlands, Germany, etc.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  18. scott rawson

scott rawson Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2015
    west yorks
    Kirk tuck has posted about the demise...every reason to believe him..he did work with them for a while...check out the visualsciencelab

19. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Fast track to serious mirrorless offering. They don't need sensor tech, they have that covered. Out of the gate expect and adapter for Nikon lenses. They obviously own their AF IP so engineering an adapter should be simple for them.

Phase 2 would be to make cosmetic modifications to Nikon-ize the bodies and change the mount.

Here we thought there'd be one less mirrorless competitor in the market and instead we got a 2000 lb gorilla.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris