Samsung Series 9 Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bokeaji, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
  2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I'm curious as to how it compares to the earlier A850 PLS model..I had my eyes on that one for a while but chickened out.

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm curious about the new PLS tech as well, but on paper it doesn't stand out from the Dell U27. It is somewhat cheaper, but UltraSharps include the nice stand, quality matte screens instead of glossy trash, etc. Apparently this screen is supposed to be "semi-gloss", like my Samsung TV. Not sure I want to do design work on that. Even our Cintiqs catch too much glare under office lighting here.

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Interesting dimensions. The specifications section says "Screen Size 27 inches wide" and Dimenions 25.4" x 15.8" x 0.9". I wonder how they manage to squeeze that 27" wide screen into a 25.4" frame. :confused:

Yes, I realize it's really 27" diagonal. I just find it amusing no one at Samsung or their ad agency caught it.

5. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
    This is serious competition for the Apple and Dell 27" displays. I use the Dell and am very happy with it, however the screen is backlit LCD whereas the new Samsung is LED - as is the Apple.

6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    LED makes no difference except for power consumption and slimmer bezels.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    actually, it (or any LED backlit monitor) also cannot currently support wide gamut montiors. The U2711, CCFL still, is a wide gamut display.

Though, I'm not sure if the really high end stuff can do wide gamut LED backed (like Eizo and the top NECs)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I thought they fixed that problem ; I was wrong. This Samsung is a 72% AdobeRGB display, ie sRGB. Disappointing.