1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Samsung S4 Zoom - hit or miss?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by robbie36, Jun 12, 2013.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Not a desperately serious thread on the new Galaxy S4 zoom. To me this is one of the most interesting camera launches of the year (although I probably wont buy one.)

It is probably the first real marriage of a top smart phone with a decent P&S camera. Yes I know there was the Nokia Pureview but noone is seriously going to use a symbian phone - the Galaxy S4 is just about the most popular smartphone on the planet.

The camera specs are pretty impressive
    10x optical zoom
    f3.5-6.3 (Leica slow)
    16 mp camera

It is also priced to sell. The phone is actually 20% cheaper than the old Galaxy camera and priced at about the same as a Galaxy S4.

Here is a review of the camera phone (in Russian)

Обзор Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom (SM-C101): Ñамый мощный камерофон / Hi-Tech@Mail.ru

There is a lot to like about the camera - zoom by twisting the lens, removable battery, swappable SD card and all the Samsung Android goodies and features.

So do you think it is going to be a 'hit' or a 'miss' - in that most people are not interested. Personally I am torn. If pressed I think I would go with a 'miss'. I think many people are quite happy that their smartphone camera is photographically challenged. That they are quite happy when they take a snap to say it is 'only a smartphone shot'. Perhaps they dont want a better camera because it places pressure to get a better shot.

2. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

I like the idea, I dislike the implementation.

I've been wanting something like this for a while, but I expected it to be more compact like with folded optics. Look at the Panasonic FT/TS cameras or the olympus tough cameras (excluding the tg-1), they have a small unobstructive lens in the corner... now do that with my phone and I'll be "content" with the image quality that comes out of the camera.

3. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I could see buying something like this for my wife because she generally leaves her camera at home and stores her phone in her purse. For me, too big to use as a phone, not good enough as a stand alone camera.

4. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

It s a bit of a miss as some of the phone specs could be a little better, specifically the fact it lacks a 720p display when many phones in that screen size offers it. On the camera size the sensor, while better(at least large) than say the S4, or Lumia 920 series, it still a bit lacking. I personally, wish Samsung gave it a say a 4x zoom, while giving it the EX1 sensor(to cut costs), or at the very least a 1/2'' sensor. If not at the very least make the aperture start at f2.5 and end at 5.6, you can even look at say Sony, or Panasonic and see how they have done it. On the positive side it at least has IS, and some pretty solid software options to improve IQ.

I personally think it is a miss photographic and phone wise, though it has the potentially to be a hit. But, consumer wise, it could be a hit, since the Galaxy brand is pretty well recognized and respected, and the specs(10x zoom, 16mp, 4.3in screen and very good software) to the average consumer sounds more than good.

5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Certainly a miss with photo enthusiasts, imo, but may have a chance with broader consumers. While I agree that a shorter, faster, flush-mount lens would be better, I think the zoom is the hook for average consumer.

This S4 Zoom may not be a hit, but it may kick off "advanced" phone-cam hybrid class that could have some staying power.

6. txbkst

txbkst Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    I love it! I had the Galaxy Camera, and I would have kept it except that the battery was not so great, and it was sort of big for what it was. If they can improve the camera and battery life then it is a winner with me. The one thing that keeps me from really really using a "proper" camera is that I hate having to upload the photo to my computer to edit and email, post, etc. I love being able to do it all from the camera.

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    This pretty well sums it up for me as well. My current phone (Galaxy S3) is right on the edge of "too big" to carry in a pocket all the time.

8. A mobile phone is something that should be small enough that you hardly notice you are carrying it, which this clearly isn't.