Samsung s3 replace my olympus+pl25

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by fransglans, Oct 8, 2012.

1. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus

This photo was taken early this morning with my cellphone. I love the galaxy s3 and sometimes I do ask my self why im grabbing for my ep-3 when im outside in good photo light.

• Like Like x 2
  2. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    That's a question best left to the philosophy of photography forum.

3. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    I use my iPhone 4S so much, I don't bother with my E-P1 as much. There are still many things it can't do, but since most of my images are for the web only, it works great.

It's amazing to me how well these "phones" work.

BTW, there's an app called 645pro, not sure if it's available for Android. It can shoot uncompressed Tiffs that can be processed on your computer. Took one o the images and enlarge it to 11x14 with no problem. Depending on the shot, I think I can take it to 16x20 easily. The file was 24 mb.

4. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    How's the s3 for speed and control compared to something with buttons?
    I have a Galaxy S2 but it drives me nuts every time I try to do anything other than a quick snap...and the lens is permanently coated in grease!
    That picture is excellent btw, and a friend of mine posted a really impressive set of late night bar shots from an S3.
    I'm surprised how much they've moved even in one generation.

5. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    The shutter lag on s3 is really fast, its the fastest phone I had. They were alot of missed situations with my old iphone 3gs.
    But the s3 misses a dedicated release button and thats a shame. Iphone got the volyme button for this purpuse.

Indoor lowlight shoots with the s3 is a big no no... Way too much noise for my taste.
    I use the case mate smooth emerge case and this one helps the camera lens to stay protected and clean.

And yes, for all the forum police, maybe this thread was put in the wrong place. Im sorry. Also sorry for my bad english:)

6. This reminds me of a comparison that Luminous Landscapes made a few years ago >>> Kidding

7. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Interresting reading, thanx penguin

8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi..Very nice pic but it all depends on what u wanna do with ur pics ? keep them for years to come or just delete after few weeks or months or till u upgrade to next phone model? It also depends upon what are u shooting ? Just random stuff for FB etc ..all camera phones are good enough these days with very minor differences . I will never replace EPL3 with a camera phone. Its just like replacing a 1000cc Bike with a bicycle :wink:.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

9. fransglans

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Thank you and all others for the nice words. Ok. I agree. Replacing is the wrong word. Sorry. Hard to do any nice "bokeh with short fov shots" with my cellp. But for a lot of situations when my ep3 is left at home im more than pleased with this s3. Im collecting nice pics and every year i do a fat photobook in blurb. The more kids i get the fatter this book gets:)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lol , Yes I agree u cant carry EP3 everywhere. But I think we might get a slimmer MFT camera with fixed lens and built in SIM card slot soon .
    Cheers

11. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

If all you need is a bicycle, why would you buy a 1000cc bike?

The cameraphones of today can produce image quality that was difficult to attain 5 years ago with a p&s. If that's all you need, that's all you need.

12. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    And like someone else has said on this site - the best camera you have is the one you actually have with you !

13. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    That's pretty good. Very exciting how good the phones are getting.
    I guess the main reason for cameras is for long range zoom and low light.

14. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    Check out what the iPhone camera can do.

iPhone 4S.

Shutter speeds since iPhone 4S are instantaneous. You can also do really advanced exposures using 3rd party apps.

I will always own a camera system, but my phone can do this in a pinch.

15. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    But...but, where's the purple haze? I mean B&W purple haze.

16. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Well if your phone takes better pictures then my camera, I quit. I'll believe it when the pros start carrying just a phone, until then I'm gonna blame the owner not the equipment.