Samsung Roadmap and Prototypes Revealed

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, May 19, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    In this installment of "What the Competition is Doing", we'll take a look at Samsung's compact system camera strategy. All info below comes via the excellent coverage provided by 1001 Noisy Cameras.

According to EOS HD, Samsung is developing three lines of bodies analogous to Panasonic's G, GF, and GH lines. They already have G and GF equivalents but have yet to introduce their GH competitor.

The most interesting bit to surface is this photo of Samsung prototypes obtained by DigitalRev:

You can see that Samsung is mulling over a compact interchangeable lens body along the lines of the Fuji X100 in terms of controls as well as some interesting cube designs.

From those two sites, we also learned that Samsung is planning to introduce the following lenses this year:
    • 60mm f/2.8 Stabilized Macro
    • 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 video-optimized zoom
    • 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 video-optimized zoom
    • 85mm f/1.4 Portrait Lens
    • 16mm f/2.8 Wide Pancake

It's interesting that Sony and Samsung are showing us their planned releases, while Olympus and Panasonic remain coy.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    The Fuji X100-esque, but with interchangeable lenses, certainly looks interesting. Hard to tell if it has a built-in VF.
  3. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

Could the cubes be digital medium format cameras made affordable for the masses???? :whoo:
  4. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    That would be cool - although for all the proposed cameras, a lot depends on having very good glass. This is where I feel m4/3 has a solid current advantage: a reasonable range of lenses, ranging from very good to excellent.
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is a lens we STILL need in both Four-Thirds and Micro Four-Thirds, in AutoFocus form from Olympus or Panasonic (there's the Samyang/Vivitar version for Four-Thirds, but it's only manual focus).
  6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Define "affordable".... one already exists (relative to hassy) from Pentax.
  7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think when he said affordable to the masses, he meant less than $10,000.
  8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

645D is less than $10,000 USD (well right at). Given that MF digital remains a niche product (with limited market) and the cost of producing a large sensor, I am amazed that the Pentax is even at that price point. Any cheaper and I'd surmised its difficult to find reason to bring the product to market. I bet if you took the original price of the film 645N and adjust it for inflation, you wouldn't be much less that $10,000USD..
  9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    The cubes are interesting. They don't really look big enough to be MF. Maybe a FF mirrorless with an MF form factor?
  10. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

Much less. But I realize the cost of the sensor would make that a pipe dream, but a nice dream :cloud-9-039: all the same......
  11. sherlock

sherlock Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    I think people are looking too far into the cubes. They are likely just generic housings, used to test new sensors & software.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Could the cube be screwed to CCTV-like wall/roof mounting for surveilance ? :D
    Although using is another thing totally, the cube is kind of refreshing to see among the other more common forms, regardless of ergonomics or anything. :)

If the mount standard is still the same, I wonder what would more than half the space behind is used for. Hot-swappable multiple battery & memory card slot like in broadcast camera? :D