'Samsung NX200 = Sooo Tempting'

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by RT_Panther, Nov 26, 2011.

1. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Concentrating on the primes I only see an equivalent missing in the µ4/3 lens line-up for the Samsung 85/1.4. All the others have some sort of a match.
    <table>
    <tr><td>Samsung &nbsp; &nbsp;</td><td>µ4/3</td></tr><tr><td>16/2.4</td><td>Oly 12/2</td></tr><tr><td>20/2.8</td><td>Panny 14/2.5</td></tr><tr><td>30/2</td><td>Panny 20/1.7</td></tr><tr><td>60/2.8</td><td>PL 45/2.8</td></tr><tr><td>85/1.4</td><td>:redface:</td></tr></table>
    So the only one we need for µ4/3 is a 60/1.4. While waiting for that, you can always pick up a Minolta MF 58/1.2 for $500 :eek::biggrin:. Not going to discuss the DOF issue here :wink:.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Just because of the available lenses, if I were choosing between Samsung & NEX, I'd REALLY have to give Samsung a good look....:smile:

3. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Actually, I'm always tempted to buy into Samsung NX.

Their prime lenses are every bit as good as the Panasonic ones, and I like Samsung's prices better.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    LoL I was considering getting a Samsung NX solely for the 85mm ƒ1.4..:redface:

5. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I think EOS 550D + EF 85/1.8 will offer better value for money :biggrin:

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    :happy-084:

7. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Discussing two dark sides here?! :biggrin: I'm more than a little tempted by the upcoming NEX-7 just to use my Minolta glass on but I'm afraid I will be disappointed by corner sharpness and annoyed by having to get used to different fields-of-view again.

8. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Choosing between Sony NEX and Samsung NX is very difficult. Sony doesn't offer much in terms of lenses while Samsung still doesn't have a good camera body (NX200 has some annoying quirks that make it only 'acceptable').

9. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    This system looks very promising. It seems to check a lot of the criteria for a good system. MU-43 needs to step up their game fast.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yup!
    This is why I called Samsung "the sleeper" in the other thread. If they (Samsung) can put all the pieces together, they'll be a formidable force in this market.....:smile:

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Wouldn't that go for any large company "if they can put all the pieces together"

The question always is -- what are the pieces?

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    There's a difference. Samsung had no photo knowledge. Sony got their knowledge through Minolta & Panasonic got theirs through Leica :smile:

13. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I find it really frustrating that Samsung actually has all the components in place to create a great camera, yet somehow they can not.

The new 20MP sensor is very good. The AMOLED screen used in all NX-series bodies is very good. The UI is very good. The lens selection is second only to Micro 4/3. But 50MB for the RAW file, horrendously slow writing times and poor JPEG engine which obliterates finer detail at ISO 400 and higher really make the NX200 less desirable than it could be.

14. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA

I would really question how much knowledge Panasonic obtained from Leica. The sensor technology, bodies and most of the lenses look to be Panasonic intellectual property. I would almost say it was the other way around with all of the Leica branded Panasonic bodies.

Also, Sony seemed to have a pretty strong camera division before Minolta?

15. Just the size of the raw file alone makes it hard to look at anything else the system offers, especially given that I'm hardly unhappy with what I currently have. Maybe if they bundle in a few Samsung external hard drives with every camera...

P. S. Didn't Samsung hang off Pentax's coat-tails for years?

16. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Yes. Pre-Minolta Sony created my favourite camera of all time - the venerable Sony R1. There were talks about creating a mirrorless successor to that camera, but alas those plans were put to rest when Sony acquired Konica-Minolta's imaging division. Otherwise we could have a true EVIL camera in as early as 2006!

17. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA

This makes me think that if Canon comes out with a well thought out mirrorless system, APS-C or larger, with strong native glass from the start, they could continue their market share domination. It seems like everyone else, outside of m4/3, has a hard time putting all the pieces together.

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Point taken with Panasonic - but I'll debate that upon their entrance into MFT, they had Olympus to learn from :smile:

19. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    That would make sense, if Olympus had released a Micro Four Thirds camera first. They didn't... (G1 was #1 MFT :wink:)