Samsung NX10 launched on dpreview...

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Brian Mosley, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    "I went all the way to Seoul, and all I brought back was this lousy preview" :rofl:

dpreview launches Samsung NX10...

I think it looks like a promising start to competition for m4/3rds - if Samsung can knock off the rough edges described in the preview regarding multiple button presses to change any settings. It certainly looks nice - if they can bring out a couple more primes, a wide and a short telephoto for portraits... make the whole thing cheap as chips and make it easily available... Bob's your uncle!

I hope that Panasonic and Olympus can get an 11mm f2.8 and 40mm f1.4 out, or at least announced soon!

2. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i read the preview and the one question i have is will the camera operate without a lens, that is can it do whagt the ep-1 and gf1 do and allow operation with older lenses , if so thius developmentg alone would make me consider this camera for use with the
    v oightlandersx primes

if their 30 mm becomes a 43 mm

will my 15 heliar act like the fov of 21.5 with the new sensor??
    that would be really something
    any math whizs to come to the rescue?????????
  3. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    They've already announced a future Pentax K mount adapter - so that shouldn't be a problem.

I think it's a 1.5x multiplier.

4. Lex

Lex Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2009
    it doesn´t look too promising to me.
    it is quite big and heavy and with a decent zoom lens there won´t be very much difference to an entry level dslr, but for sure the price will make a huge difference. I really don´t like this psedo slr design, i love the desings of e-p1 and gf1. there are already very small dslrs which aren´t much bigger than the NX10.
    it has no ibis and we will see if the high iso performance will match with the great performance of todays m4/3 cameras.
    i hope that the prices will drop through the greater competition
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It's smaller than I thought it would be. Seems similar to a G1, at least from the top view.

Too bad there is no in-body IS. Combined with a 1.5x APS-C sensor, IBIS would have made this appeal even more to folks looking to adapt manual focus lenses.

Very ambitious move by Samsung! I expect there will be at least one more entry into this space in 2010, most likely from Sony.

:43: has a real advantage in lens selection, and I hope this motivates Olympus and Panasonic to capitalize on that by adding some sweet lenses this year!
  6. voyager

Dec 31, 2009
    It's really not the best looking camera I've ever seen.
  7. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    I think it looks like a G1/GH1 clone... Samsung must have used the same design focus group.

I would not at all be surprised if there's a Pen/GF1 clone in the works too. The larger grip cam suits the larger zoom lenses though, so makes sense I guess.

8. voyager

Dec 31, 2009
    I might be more inclined to buy that one instead. Honestly I can't stand the design of this.
  9. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    If I had to pick a camera built in Japan or Korea, Japan would win every time.

But Samsung is no lightweight. They build the best computer monitors IMHO.

Is it just me or does it look weird, kind of cheap?
  10. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    I've never understood the Japan vs Korea argument - I have no experience to suggest there's any difference, other than due to construction design.

Do you have personal experience of the difference? or stats you can point us towards?

I don't think it looks weird enough! quite conservative unfortunately.

11. voyager

Dec 31, 2009
    It's still ugly.
  12. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    LOL, pretty good samples by dpreview standards... I won't comment on IQ until I've had a play with some raw files.

13. Ranger 9

Ranger 9 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2009
    Great, just when it looked as if Micro Four Thirds might finally give us a viable cross-platform lens standard, the mavericks are all going to start rushing in and saying, "No, MY way is better!!"

I can't see the APS-C sensor size providing any significant advantage over µ4/3, but it probably won't hurt anything either.

My only real issue (other than the fact that I've already got an investment in µ4/3) is that everything I've ever bought with the Samsung name on it -- VCRs, TVs, etc. -- has looked great on paper and in terms of specs but has turned out to be kack. They just don't seem to "get" the notion of a clear, consistent user interface or the importance of minor details such as control labels that don't wear off. Of course, maybe this will be their breakthrough product where they get all the details right... but I've been burned thinking that before.
  14. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    One thing which impresses me about m4/3rds... A 2 lens kit would probably do me for a huge range of photography (allowing for three fast, legacy prime lenses which I already own) - the mZD 14-42 and Lumix 20mm f1.7 - it means I don't have to be overcommitted to the format.

15. chalkdust

chalkdust Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2009
    McKinney, Texas
    I prefer a larger sensor size to a smaller one, all else being comparable. The 4592X3056 of the nx10 is comparable to the 4000X3000 of my G1. So I would need to look at other details. I would absolutely need to have an adapter for my M mount lenses. Also I would need to know that the electronic view finder is as good as the G1. (By the way, I actually LIKE the EVF of the G1. I like the way it works; I like what it shows; I LOVE the 10X magnification for manual focus.) The nx10 would need a really good electronic view finder. Finally, it would need to be at least as ergonomic as the G1 for adapted lenses/manual control as the G1. - I have a lot of reading to do. I would not rule it out. But I like my G1 very much!
  16. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    I'm quite happy with 12Mp - plenty of scope to reduce noise and improve dynamic range before cramming more pixels into the frame.

Just imagine, if we could have 12Mp of image data with the sharp, distinct pixel level detail we see with ~5Mp foveon sensors - but with consistent colour quality up to, say ISO 3200 and hugely improved SNR... I'd rather see more movement in that direction for 4/3rds sensors.

I love the Pen form factor (could stand it to be a little larger if it were to include a built in high res EVF), and think that the lack of lens choice is not such a major strain now that we have the 20mm f1.7... just a couple more lenses (11mm f2.8 and 57mm f1.2 ballpark) would make it a superb system - and as I said above, I like the conservatism of that.

Just continue maturing the body - simplify, make it more powerful in terms of responsiveness and sensor quality and I'll be a very happy photographer!

17. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Why not? If it's the same sensor in the K-x, or anywhere close to it, that would be quite awesome. However, this is only half the equation. Samsung making lenses? If Pentax were behind it all, they might hold. But as of now, I'd be weary of buying it unless the K mount adapter allows for full AF.

With that said, it would then get large, and I'd rather have a Pentax K7 anyway. It is definitely interesting, and hopefully it will keep m43 on it's toes some. And yeah, I, too, am waiting for a 11/12+40/50 fast prime/pancake set to accompany my 20/1.7 =)
  18. bg2b

bg2b Mu-43 Regular

Dec 22, 2009
    Berkeley Heights, NJ
    A rep supposedly said it's the K20 sensor.