1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Samsung NX10 and NX100: what do you think?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by alxcoghe, Dec 19, 2010.

1. alxcoghe

alxcoghe New to Mu-43

Dec 15, 2010
    Mexico City
    I'm thinking to take one of these cameras. What do you thing of Samsung mirrorless system?

• Like Like x 1
  2. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I tried one of the NX10 in store and I wasn't impressed...

The reason I went the G2 over it:
    - The viewfinder I found worse in the NX10
    - Feature wise the pana/g2 appeals more to me, usability etc
    - I like the vari-angle LCD
    - The lens range is smaller already and I think Pan/Oly/Voigt will always grow faster with more companies involved..

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'm with joele.

I was in Korea looking for a camera, and could have got a screaming deal on the Samsungs, but, in particular, the lenses made me wary. Both in performance and in selection. The sensor performance seems to be so-so (about same as m43) from the reviews.

4. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    samsung sensor

I'd heard the NX cams use the same sensor as my Pentax K-7. That's the one that my G1 outperforms comfortably at higher ISOs, no contest in chroma noise at iso1000-2000.

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'm just going off the research I did when buying the camera earlier this year. Seemed the sensors were from the same generation, but since it's APSC it has a few advantages, but Pannys experience gives it others. IMHO, it nets out even

6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    The NX10 fits perfectly in my hand. If they sold for less, I would consider them. Since they don't, I don't see a reason to buy a Samsung NX over a Sony NEX.

7. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    IMO, it seems like there's no compelling reason to buy into NX. I think for most people there needs to be some compelling reason to buy into a system, especially one that's likely to be a second system. For example, I have some Nikon DSLR equipment and I was looking for something smaller and more discreet. I still wanted better IQ than most compacts can offer, and interchangeable lenses, and responsive performance etc. Essentially I wanted a DSLR that could be stuck in my jacket pocket. The options were mFT, NX10, and NEX(I don't think it was for sale yet, but I think it was a confirmed official line of gear). Nikon didn't seem to have anything on the way.

So, what did the available choices have to offer:

Leica - well sure it would have been great, but I can't afford an M9 and a lens. Or even just a lens, for that matter. I mean seriously, 10,000 USD for a body? If I had that much to spend I would have bought a D3x.

mFT - met the IQ and size requirements, system was decently large and expanding, plenty of smart and dumb adapters for FT and other lenses, price was affordable

NX - met the IQ and size requirements, system consisted of one body, two lenses with more promised and a dumb(not editorially speaking, I mean no linkages for AF, metering etc.) adapter for K-mount gear, priced about the same as mFT

NEX - met the IQ and size requirements, system consisted of two bodies and two lenses with more promised and some type of limited functionality adapter, priced similar to mFT

So when I looked at the mirrorless systems, mFT ticked off more checkboxes.

NX or NEX would have had to have been substantially less expensive, or had meaningfully better IQ, or a larger range of equipment. Something to have had some advantage over mFT.

But those systems didn't, and still don't, for me at least.

They aren't bad systems, I think, it's just that there doesn't seem to be any advantage to selecting them over mFT.

Which made buying into Micro Four-Thirds pretty straightforward. It started with an E-P1 kit for me(to test the water) and then by watching for sales/good deals here and there, I've expanded the system with a G1 body(new for $200,) a GF-1 body, mFT lenses and some FT lenses caught on sale, and an MMF-1.

One of the biggest problems I have with mFT now, is that some of the FT lenses that I have are really good, and now I'm thinking of selling some of my Nikon gear to buy an E-5 or other non Micro FT DSLR.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.