Samsung NX1 - tech's 800 pound gorilla enters the pro-enthusiast race

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
A slightly longer than average register distance doesn't mean that the Samsung NX system will have bigger lenses than any other similar mirrorless system. The gap between the sensor and shutter and the lens mount is all free space, so where it is advantageous to sit the lens closer to the sensor it is simply a matter of having the rear lens element protrude further back.

This is borne out when you compare their lens line-up to Sony and Fujifilm, and in actual fact Samsung has an even broader range of compact prime lenses than Micro 4/3 when you consider that they have 10mm f3.5 fisheye, 16mm f2.4, 20mm f2.8, and 30mm f2 lenses which are all pancakes, and a 45mm f1.8 which weighs the same as the Olympus 45mm. I have no hands-on experience with the 10mm and the 16mm, but each of the 20mm, 30mm, and 45mm are optically better lenses overall than the roughly equivalent 14mm f2.5, 20mm f1.7, and 45mm f1.8 Micro 4/3 lenses. The Samsung 45mm f1.8 is as sharp a lens as I have used across any system, and the 20mm and 30mm pancakes have none of the vignetting issues and not nearly the same purple fringing issues of the two Panasonic pancakes and less native distortion which is impressive considering that they are required to resolve on a larger and higher resolution (20mp) sensor.

HI NIc

thanks for sharing your experience, I always believed that the longer register distance of NX system brings better quality in the corners, but I guess (I've no knowledge in lens design) register distance is just one factor, by "optimising" rear element, this could also be done for a more compact system. and thanks for pointing out those excellent NX compact primes, I have always wanted my "next" purchase to be an Samsung but so far it has only been m43:smile:

Real Name
Nic
HI NIc

thanks for sharing your experience, I always believed that the longer register distance of NX system brings better quality in the corners, but I guess (I've no knowledge in lens design) register distance is just one factor, by "optimising" rear element, this could also be done for a more compact system. and thanks for pointing out those excellent NX compact primes, I have always wanted my "next" purchase to be an Samsung but so far it has only been m43:smile:

I certainly can't can't question the value for money I have gotten out of the NX system so far. These three lenses below cost approx $400 all up, with the 45mm being purchased new and the 20mm and 30mm second hand.

IMG_7029_zpse46dcc78.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Of course the NX1 and the two 'S' zooms are in a totally different price category!

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
Samsung needs to come up with a better name for their lenses than "Samsung Lens" ;)

How about Samsungor or Samsungon or Samsungit or ... :D

Real Name
Nic
It is a very plain name indeed. Their rebadged Pentax DSLR lenses were labelled Schnieder Kreuzsomethingorother but they got the heave-ho when Samsung went solo with the NX system.

Latest threads

Top Bottom