1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Samsung mulling partnership with Oly?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, Jan 12, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Samsung at CES | Photo Rumors

That might not be a bad idea. The Sammy system has not really taken off, and they almost seem to be considering alternatives.

They could put some real marketing and R&D muscle behind Oly. I'd welcome that in a heartbeat, if they stayed committed to m43!

2. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    The most disappointing part of the interview is that Olympus felt it has a complete line of M4/3 zoom lenses and will continue to focus its effort on developing more prime lenses for the system. Sounds like we can only count on the Panny fast zooms in the near future...

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, I snickered at that comment myself. :) But he is right in a way though... the zooms have all the focal lengths covered, but the primes do not even have half a range covered yet. What's the point in stopping at 45mm with the primes? Telephoto primes I think are far more necessary at this moment than fast zooms. When the telephoto primes are made, then we will have one complete set of fast lenses from wide to long. THEN we can worry about fast zooms so people can have a choice between fast primes or fast zooms...
    Finish what you started first before you walk away and start something completely different.

I for one am comforted to hear that they are concentrating on completing their single focal length lens line-up.

5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Hm... Samsung gets no love in the photo world. The TL500 was a fine camera that everyone ignored. Remember, Samsung and Pentax had a very tight relationship for a while. Samsung deserves much of the credit for providing the know how that moved Pentax from the film into the digital age.

Now if Samsung were to buy Olympus outright and run it as a subsidiary... That's another thing altogether. Samsung might just be the white knight that Olympus needs.

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I want my 100mm f/2 please. Olympus, make it happen!

7. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Olympus just needs to source sensors elsewhere. Their cameras and lenses are very good. IBIS works and their metering and colors are excellent.

8. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
  9. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Still viable to me, it's just people are too caught up with damn graphs and numbers. I guarantee if Olympus goes down, collectors are going to swoop in and proclaim how Olympus was ahead of their time, blah blah.

10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    who's going to make them though? You'll need to pay Sony a lot of money for them to FAB m43 sized sensors I'd gather. Samsung might, but I have not been impressed with what they've done. Canon unlikely since they have a new process for something close in size (or maybe that can fit as a multi-aspect sensor...)

I wish oly and panasonic could work together a bit more on that department. Though, had they had some joint venture, I'm sure it would have taken a beating from this oly debacle.

11. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's what sucks. The image difference between APS-C and M43 are negligible. The difference is that 43 sensor producers are pretty much nil. Maybe they should hit these guys up. They made the Nikon 1 sensor.

Aptina Imaging - Home

12. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    They can just use an APS-C sensor and crop it.

13. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's what I'm saying. M43 is about portability, small lenses etc. Even better they use a bigger sensor. I'm sure they can engineer it to work.

14. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    Not much camera engineering will be happening at Olympus in the near future. TPG Capital is interested in taking over Olympus with other partners, and according to one of their sources said:

TPG would consider taking over the other less desirable parts of the firm to facilitate the deal. This could include the digital camera operations, which is in need of a major overhaul, including job cuts.

Not a good sign.

PS. I'm not looking for these articles, they just keep popping up on Yahoo News. :biggrin:

15. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I suppose you are right, but not being a professional photographer, my main concern is that any fast telephoto prime will be priced out of my range if the prices of the 4/3 Oly telephoto primes are any indication, whereas I am willing to put up with the price of the 45-200 SWD for a fast variable aperture zoom that satisfies most of my telephoto needs... Besides, having 3 prime lenses now already gives me a headache as to what gear to bring when I travel... 5 or more prime lenses will be disaster! :eek:

16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Good find. Thanks. I am sure this situation will be changing every day. It's a troubled firm with some promise, and there's going to be a lot of negotiation and also a lot of in-media posturing. Time will tell.

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Let me rephrase that for you...
    "The image difference between APS-C and M43 are negligible. The difference is that 43 sensor producers are pretty much Panasonic." :cool:

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, you're right there. :) In fact, my personal preference is generally towards standard primes and telephoto zooms. When I have a full choice from a mature system, that's what I choose.

Nonetheless, if you consider that 2 new fast zooms are going to be produced now from Panasonic, what if those lenses were primes, like say a 150mm and a 300mm (and maybe throw in a 100mm macro, lol). All of a sudden we'd already have a complete range of fast lenses covered from 12mm to 300mm, and we'd have something for everyone. Bird watchers could use the system, runway photographers, sports photographers (with blazing fast native CDAF!), journalists, hobbiests, everyone. Of course we'll still get there anyways, but now we have to wait longer for the long-reach lenses than if they had been produced first. Mind you, a 35-100mm f/2.8 is still a very good expansion into short-telephoto from the current longest 45mm prime.

Of course, if Panasonic is announcing that they'll be releasing these two fast primes in the wide to short telephoto range, and Olympus has stated a commitment to complete the prime lens lineup... then between the two companies this will work out very well. :) If Olympus' next step is indeed fast telephoto primes and Panasonic's bright X zooms come out soon, then the combined resources of the two companies together will give us our cake and let us eat it too. :)

Yay for divided concentrations rather than making redundant, repetitive products to compete with each other in the same system. =D I don't care so much who makes what, as long as I have the product I need for my system. Olympus stating a commitment to primes after Panasonic has shown off a couple bright zooms is a positive statement when you take into account all contributors to the system.

19. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I've been thinking about this, and have come to the same conclusion. The issue between APS-C and m43 is not sensor size, it's competition in sensors, and also accumulated R&D.

Canon and Sony, and some others here and there (Samsung, e.g.) have been in a sensor race, dumping in money, trying to beat each other.

Even though Panny was doing 43 sensor, it wasn't until m43 that Panny clearly got an interest for more than just their point and shoots. The total R&D dollars flowing into 43 sensor has to be far less than that for APS-C. Having said that, it's pretty amazing (and very telling about how close the sensor sizes are) that the GH2 sensor is pretty close to the best APS-C sensors, even though I have to think APS-C R&D is outpacing 43 sensor investment by, what? 2:1? 3:1?

The frustrating part is that, for whatever reason (not sure if it's Oly or Panny's fault) only Panny gets to use the best sensors. Look at Nikon, Fuji and Sony -- they all have access to the same sensor, yet they can do different things with that same sensor, in terms of filter arrays, co-processors, etc. I'll bet Oly could work wonders with the newer Panny sensors, so it's my guess that it's Panny who is reluctant to give them up, and that's a shame.

20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would have loved it if Kodak could have stayed in the game with Four-Thirds sensors! At the very least to offer us options.