Samsung introduces NX100 - dPreview

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by JoepLX3, Sep 14, 2010.

1. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Samsung NX100 Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Samsung has announced the addition of the NX100 to its NX series of mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. It features the same 14.6Mp sensor and 3.0" OLED screen as the NX10, which are built into a flat, 'compact camera style' body. It also offers the i-Function feature that allows the use of the focus ring to control various camera functions when using compatible lenses. To complement this feature the company has launched two lenses with i-Fn buttons - the 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED kit zoom and 20mm F2.8 pancake lens. There is also an electronic viewfinder, flashgun and GPS unit to accompany the NX 100. We've had a pre-production NX100 for a little while, so have produced a quick hands-on preview.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Oh that's a disappointingly non-retro look they have there.
    If anything it reminds me of old Canon powershot compact digitals ... but bigger.

3. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Yeah, although I am a Samsung fan, I don't like the looks of this one either.
    - I am probably going for the Pentax K-r, but won't wait untill all reviews are up, dpreview seem to be busy with so many camera announcements lately
    - But I will continue to be curious to see how Samsung will catch up and as they like even take over - to be continued...

4. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    From reading the dpreview article it seems that the Samsung lens mount is a proprietary one? If so, that's a HUGE fail for them. The appeal of µ 4/3 to me is the ability to use the Lumix lenses on my e-pl1 without the need for an apapter. And now that Voigtländer and Zeiss are offering µ 4/3 mount lenses that makes it even more appealing!

Though I am jealous of the GPS module. I wish that Olympus offered one of those.

5. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Aren't most of you pictures (with timestamp) telling you themselves where it was taking?

6. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I had a quick play with one today at Jessops. Feels solid and well built. The lens in particular had a good feel to it. I was quite tempted, but already having an e-p1 and a G1 thought it might be a bit of a rash purchase... They offered me one for £348, which is pretty cheap by UK standards. No stabilization in body or lens was a point against. The AMOLED screen is fantastic - I have an EX1/TL500 with an AMOLED screen, and you have to see one to realise how good they are.
    I bought the EX1/TL500 as soon as it came out and it's a great little camera... BUT Samsungs customer support is not good - you go all around the houses on the website to no avail, and the phone support is just as bad. The software on the EX1 could be a lot better... But it's a keeper.

Any NX100 users here?

Any comments?

All the best,

Colin