1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Samsung Galaxy NX, an Android-powered mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by voltcontrol, Jun 13, 2013.

1. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    It was only a matter of time. I think it has a lot of potential, especially for things like journalism.

2. txbkst

txbkst Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    I think that looks pretty cool. I love the idea of having a truly connected camera.

3. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Sony is also well positioned to do something like this, given their experience with the Xperia. A NEX with Android would be nice. It's an area where the two companies have an advantage both over other camera makers and other cellphone makers.

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I thought that was what the iPhone was for. :tongue:

In all seriousness, that thing looks pretty insane, but convergence is definitely coming. I'll be watching how this platform shakes out. I love my Galaxy smartphone and tablet, but I'm not sure I'm ready for a phone running Android.

5. Looking at the design, it still appears to be a tablet device that has had a camera fitted around it, rather than a camera with tablet functionality built into it. I would be curious to see what kind of touch control arrangement/s are possible to implement on the rear screen and also how usable they are compared to hard controls.

6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Well it had to happen didnt it? Still I cant help thinking this is an 'answer' looking for a 'question'. Are photographers going to miss the controls more than they are going to gain from the smart device?

I look at all those widgets on the back of the screen and I wonder what this is going to do.

I see a clock, a calendar and a calculator and I think this might be just one more device to tell me the time and the 5 day weather forecast.

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    :wink::wink::wink:...

8. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I am not really a fan of the NEX interface, but do like the their DSLR/SLT interface(though I wish my A57 came with a touch screen a la Panasonic G2/GH2) & think Android could make the NEX interface much better to use/navigate.

Panasonic also has some advantage given that they do make some ruggedized Android tablets(think Galaxy Note 10.1 meets military spec build + durability) for the business/enterprise market here in North America and phones in Asia and a few other locals.

With Android cameras, like the Galaxy camera and the Nikon model do I have to be in the camera app to take pictures, or can a half press of the shutter button bring up the camera?

9. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    The real potential will come if they keep the bootloader unlocked, the camera drivers open source (just because android is open source the drivers may not) and if then if some android guru developers get onboard. The potential at that point becomes rather interesting. Unfortunately Samsung has been becoming less and less developer friendly with Android so we will see.

10. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    What advantage can this camera have compared to a GH3 or a EP5 with wifi built in? and please dont say, "to talk over the phone".

11. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Potentially, Emailing, editing, uploading, sending pics to social media, all in one device.

12. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    If Panasonic released one with Android and built in Phone capabilities, I wouldn't have to carry my GH3 and iPad with me everywhere. Just take pics and upload the JPEG to Facebook right away.

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    And to your local newspaper headquarters :smile:

14. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I'll say the fear of losing physical controls is certainly there. I think the screen could be smaller like a normal camera.

But for me personally, assuming API access is available to the camera, it could open up far better programming options for shooting. Don't like how the intervalometer works (or maybe we don't even have one.....), someone can build something to your liking. Need a better interface? or one geared more to your liking? Done. Someone mentioned in camera editing.. certainly would be awesome. But ideally, it could open up a better way of doing camera to tablet editing/on-site curating/etc. Or someone can built a better/customized tethered shooting system.

I'm sure there are plenty of other possibilities. But it hinges on two big things: manufacturer support, and critical mass to have these apps made.

15. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    The loss of physical controls would certainly be an issue for me. I generally use the EVF and with an EVF it is important to have tactile controls when shooting.

The advantage of this set up is that it would get rid of the need to carry a camera and an ipad/tablet when shooting. Still taking an ipad with me when shooting doesnt really both me and I cant help think that an ipad/tablet will be better than the Galaxy as a tablet and a more traditional layout for controls will make a better camera than the Galaxy.

The galaxy s4 zoom makes a lot more sense to me for the marriage of camera and phone.

16. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Except they do offer a developers edition of the Galaxy S4(same as a regular S4, but with a unlocked bootloader, and unsubsidized) for Verizon and a Nexus-ish edition for the S4, which is also bootloader unlocked and running stock Android. On a device like this, not really sure what root could really add, besides a faster, more battery efficient(at least on phone it would be not sure here) OS?

17. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    I used to kid around years ago and say " all I want is a camera that is a phone"....looks like it might happen now! I don't know if I would be onboard with this idea now, but it would be fun for instant uploads. I have an Asus tablet now, and seem to use my smart phone less and less for internet stuff, games, photos, etc...

18. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I'm a bit puzzled by this. I'd think that anyone doing up-to-the-minute reportage would have a (smart) phone on them, and some combination of camera software/wifi and phone app with tethering would take care of automatic emailing of jpegs. I mean the 12 people in the world who still have jobs in photo-journalism.

I actually wonder if, outside of the "neat" factor, they realized it is cheaper to use cheap old smart phone tech instead of proprietary. Easy to program, patch, etc. The hardware is out there for pennies (handset chips, LCD screens).

What would be interesting, is a camera dock. I keep looking at the picture and thinking, "if only the rear screen detached as a separate phone."

Maybe it's mostly about getting Instagram on the camera.