Samsung electronics and camera division merge

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by OzRay, Feb 25, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    http://www.samsung.com/us/aboutsams...rdoPeriod=ALL&from_dt=&to_dt=&search_keyword=

I've seen these things happen before and it's usually become a disaster. The mamangement from the more powerful division dictates which way things go, who gets the money and who gets cut back first when things get difficult.

The camera division will now be at the mercy of the electronics division and will likely have to beg for everything they want to do. Not an auspicious start to their new endevours in the small format camera market.

Cheers

Ray

2. et100

et100 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Chicago area - USA
    I agree... internal politics within a large company can have a strong influence on the output of a specific department. I think its also showing a diminishing of the "status" of the camera division within the Samsung organization.

Its going to be interesting to watch how the new layer of management will impact the innovation and risk taking that are often absent in large organizations.

3. Chow Monkey

Chow Monkey Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

It all depends how Samsung looks at imaging. Often older photographers want photography to be photography and prefer print. However the reality is all different. Photography and video are merging already. The oldfashioned photographer is becoming an ancient relic. Youngsters are making images all day using whatever tool they can use like cellphones, p&s or even webcams.. Is a whole new culture. And trust me. From this culture new talents will arise. Check flickr.com or deviantart.com and see how creative young people handle images using basic tools. I guess for them print is not even important anymore.. It's all about LCD, widescreen TV..

Samsung understands this evolution and it therefore makes sense to merge this all.. Panasonic and Sony are doing the same.. Modern Sony equipment is "Brava" optimized..

There will always be a market for people being good in oldfashioned photography. But check how many newspapers and magazines are in trouble. How much room is there for print do you think.. It's the digital era.. It's not about if you're either a photographer or cinematographer.. It's about content.. Where in the past you needed to have money for producing music you now just need a PC, software and midicontrollers.. You don't need dark rooms anymore.. Just a PC with imagingsoftware is enough.. For video it's the same.. So this whole evolution will drastically change the way we cope with images, vids and music.. Content is key..

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Therein lies the issue. Is Samsung dedicated to higher-level cameras, or just consumer Swiss Army knives? I don't think the old fashioned photographer is becoming a relic, it's just that they are just not as unique in this multiverse of imaging technology, nor do I think that they will die out any time soon.

There are certainly a lot of people who are entirely content with the imagery that they produce from their cell-phones and all they use that imagery for is Facebook and similar web envirnments. If that were the way of the future, then the camera manufacturers might as well close shop now and let Nokia, HTC et al take over the photographic world.

From the newspaper perspective, as I work for one, what has happened in the US especially (and in Australia to some extent) is that many papers are begining to rely on the amateur photographer with their Canon/Nikon DSLR for on the spot images, obtained for free of course. Also, many newspapers can get a significant number of images for a very low cost from sources such as Getty etc. But if your newspaper covers local news, as opposed to world news, the in-house photographer is still a valued asset.

But that's not the root cause of the problem with declining newspapers and magazines; it's that in many cases they have failed to keep up with what their core readership wants and so have become irrelevant. And the other thing that is killing many newspapers and magazines is that information is so widely available for free on the Internet. Blogs are having a significant effect on many newspapers, which fervently cling to their side of politics only, rather than providing balanced views on events and issues. Photographers (and other staff) are collateral damage in this instance.

Cheers

Ray

5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ray,

How right you are, if the electronics division have a more important agenda than the digital imaging divison and the men at the top are from electronics, this can lead to some serious falling out and project shelving.

I guess we can only hope that their digital imaging division are far enough down the line with products that it would not be viable to shelve them - if they launch and succeed then that buys credibility and continued progress, if they launch and are not a success that usually ends in redundancies and direction changes.

The clash of the titans and who makes the most profit from what - I suspect we know that due to who absorbed who!

6. Chow Monkey

Chow Monkey Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

No they won't die out. But the way the audience will consume content is and will change..

No, a cellphone can't replace a 1D MK IV. But often a cellphone can be enough to show creativity.. In the analog era we used rangefinders, dslr's and Polaroid. All serving its own purposes.. Why is suddenly the Holga so popular?? Not because it's a hightech cam able to shoot sports.. Maybe the cellphone is the digital Holga??

This will change. It's changing in the Netherlands already..

No, it's not collateral damage. It's a new way of creating and distributing content. And consumers want new ways to consume such content.. This looks like a big change but as a skilled photographer it's not difficult to adjust.. Don't see it as a threat but see it as a treat..