'Samsung Considering Android Based Camera'..?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by RT_Panther, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    It could be interesting. The problem I see is that most android camera applications don't give users much control, especially when it comes to jpeq quality settings. My Samsung galaxy nexus would have much better results if the JPEG compression was lowered.

2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    You're assuming the current crop of apps. If android, or some other app driven OS, were to land on cameras (of all types), I think we'd see apps focused at photographers.

The problem will be how much access manufacturers will give up to 3rd party apps. And probably battery life and cpu power.

3. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    I think it would be great to be able to open up the camera's OS and re-work the menus, etc. With an open OS like android, hacks like the Panasonic firmware hacks would be a lot easier. Anything that is controlled by software would, theoretically, be adjustable.

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    But, the problem with making it more "open" is that users and Samsung will have lots of headaches. I could just see it now, with customers who call in to Samsung who have "bricked" their cameras, LOL, trying to "root" them.

The nice thing about this is that a decent app could be used to later go into and view and manipulate the pictures, as long as the screen size was decent enough. But then, my guess would be that most of the camera would be used through a touch screen.

Interesting times ahead.

5. YouDidntDidYou

YouDidntDidYou Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    Teesside
    future camera apps, possibilities endless

If you had google goggles app on your camera it would recognise, tag and sort your photos for you, also apps like eyeem and instagram would become more popular, you could developing gaming apps involving photos and photo taking, you could use audio functions to recognise bird songs etc, you could store and tick off lists of photos you need to get at an event.......................................

6. jff1625

jff1625 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    London
    This is the sort of direction Ricoh should be thinking in. An iPhone or Android adapter for GXR would be awesome. Then you could use proper lenses and sensors on your phone.