1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Samsung 1TB SSD 850 EVO $369

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by snaimpally, Mar 23, 2015.

1. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  2. MadMan

MadMan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  3. Evan614

Evan614 Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2014
    BuckeyeState
    on ebay, on occasion, newegg has offered the 500GB Samsung EVO 850 version for $179

4. snaimpally

Dec 31, 2012
    The connection is that most of us use a hard drive to store and edit digital photos. Using an SSD makes archiving and editing much faster. This part of the forum is for hot deals that any mu-43 forum member might be interested. Look just a few posts below - there is a Nikon S1 deal, a Photo Shop Elements deal, a winbook deal, etc. Those are connected to mu-43 because they are things that mu-43 forum members might be interested in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Evan614

Evan614 Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2014
    BuckeyeState
    I will add that the "Other Discussions" section covers computer and related parts.
    Madman, It's not like we are posting deals on snow tires or barbie dolls.

6. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    It is the deal and big SDD is used by photogs way more often than snow tires.
    Throw in $20 USB 3.0 powered enclosure and you'll get great backup drive for trips.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    A word of warning about Samsung SSDs. I have two (one in PC and one in tablet), so this is not a bias thing, but I've been reading that the Samsung drives are having some issues with the drives slowly deteriorating in their read capacity, thus slowing down the overall system performance. There was apparently an update from Samsung, but that didn't fix the problem and no one knows if there's going to be anything further issued.

When I first got the two SSDs (an 830 and 840), I noticed a fairly impressive improvement on my PC, but no so much on my tablet, which isn't a powerhouse to begin with; however, I've noticed that the PC isn't performing as well as it did, for example, LR takes a lot longer to open and the tablet absolutely crawls when starting up. If I was looking at a new SSD at the moment, I think I'd consider something else.

8. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Did you run the fix from samsung for that? It's basically a re-writer for the disc. I just made doing it part of backing the drive up.

Also IIRC it doesn't affect the 850 EVO drives at all.

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I just let the drives update automatically and there's no tangible improvement in performance with the latest firmware.

10. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Yeah the firmware update does nothing much by itself, it's the portion of the utility where it then reads and rewrites the data that actually fixes performance. I just use diskfresh to do the same thing since it's less obnoxious.

11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
  12. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

The unique problem specific to those drives (to again note - not the drive in the deal in this thread) is degraded performance of data left in the same cell on the SSD for a long period of time, and samsung's 'fix' for it involves reading it from the original location and writing it to a new one (which they call 'conditioning' and is what takes all the time to apply in their update). Anything that does that will re-set the age of data in the particular cell it's in.

13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The only thing that concerns me is that the 830 and 840 have much the same problem, is the 850 immune?

14. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

IIRC it wasn't even an '830' or '840' issue, it was specifically with the low end EVO versions of their drives, and wasn't even an issue on the PRO versions of the same model numbers.

• Like Like x 1
  15. snaimpally

Dec 31, 2012
    Exactly! Unless you are shooting film and storing your photos in a shoe box, a fast SSD is useful for every photographer. In fact, I mentioned one of the benefits in my original post - 20 second boot up with Windows 7. That to me alone is worth the price of an SSD.

16. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Mine no longer does that, which is why I've been contemplating a different brand of SSD to see if the problem really is with the Samsung SSD.

17. ptan55

ptan55 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2011
    Amherst, NY
  18. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
  19. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I will just add that for regular 1-off photo editing, SSD makes almost no difference. The photo is read from the disk into RAM and the drive then no longer has any impact in performance. SSD benefit greatly for random disk activity, but not very much for sequential disk activity. Reading a file or saving a file is sequential disk activity. Batch output of a large set of RAW conversions is more likely to be CPU constrained.

20. MadMan

MadMan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2013
    OK, thanks for your reply. I question that SSDs are more than tangentially relevant to "editing" but I'm glad you're happy, and yes using an SSD is a joy, no dispute, I just find it more relevant to non-photography tasks.