Samples of my PEN E-PL2 photography; Dramatic Tone art filter

Triumphsteve

New to Mu-43
Greetings. I have been using Olympus DSLR and PEN cameras for awhile now, and I am always amazed at the magic these cameras can provide. Lately, I have been testing my micro four thirds PENS (E-P2 and E-PL2) to try and replicate results similar to what my my E-3 and E-5 can show, and I find the PEN cameras to be superb alternatives to carrying around the heavy DSLR equipment.

The following gallery of PEN images were made with the new E-PL2 and the new generation Zuiko 14-42mm II zoom lens. Where I have provided an illustration of the Dramatic Tone art filter, I have first posted a normal image made with the i-Enhance shooting mode, followed by the Dramatic Tone art filter shot. Most of the time, I find the mode of the Dramatic Tone result to be very interesting and ethereal. My E-PL2 photographs were made primarily of items for sale at the Raleigh Flea Market in North Carolina, and I have included a few motorcycle images of my Triumph Truxton. Please take a look and feel free to give any feedback, criticisms, etc.

Steve Brantley Photography | SmugMug

My general photo web site is here: Steve Brantley Photography | SmugMug and I have other examples of PEN E-P2 images, Olympus E-5 images, and many other subjects. Most all images were originally shot in RAW at an ISO range of 100-200, Aperture priority, single center focus point, image stabilization turned on, and processed with Capture One software.

JustShootMe

Mu-43 Regular
Good stuff Steve , I am considering purchasing an EPL2 just for the dramatic tone filter. Is the camera faster processing the art filters than the other Pen's ?

isabel95

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Your images are compelling me to look harder at the e-pl2!

I really don't need it. I didn't need my e-pl1 either, but I love it.

That dramatic art filter does make for stunning images!

I think I would probably go nuts switching back and forth between the e-pl1 and the 3-pl2 since the buttons on the back are so different.

I would park different lenses on each camera.

I'd love to hear from people who use the e-pl1 and e-pl2 interchangeably.

Isabel

Greetings. I have been using Olympus DSLR and PEN cameras for awhile now, and I am always amazed at the magic these cameras can provide. Lately, I have been testing my micro four thirds PENS (E-P2 and E-PL2) to try and replicate results similar to what my my E-3 and E-5 can show, and I find the PEN cameras to be superb alternatives to carrying around the heavy DSLR equipment.

The following gallery of PEN images were made with the new E-PL2 and the new generation Zuiko 14-42mm II zoom lens. Where I have provided an illustration of the Dramatic Tone art filter, I have first posted a normal image made with the i-Enhance shooting mode, followed by the Dramatic Tone art filter shot. Most of the time, I find the mode of the Dramatic Tone result to be very interesting and ethereal. My E-PL2 photographs were made primarily of items for sale at the Raleigh Flea Market in North Carolina, and I have included a few motorcycle images of my Triumph Truxton. Please take a look and feel free to give any feedback, criticisms, etc.

Steve Brantley Photography | SmugMug

My general photo web site is here: Steve Brantley Photography | SmugMug and I have other examples of PEN E-P2 images, Olympus E-5 images, and many other subjects. Most all images were originally shot in RAW at an ISO range of 100-200, Aperture priority, single center focus point, image stabilization turned on, and processed with Capture One software.

andyw

Mu-43 Veteran
Very nice dramatic tone images (all are great!!) Have you any tips for using this filter like the best lighting etc.

Ta!

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Good stuff Steve , I am considering purchasing an EPL2 just for the dramatic tone filter. Is the camera faster processing the art filters than the other Pen's ?

If I were you, I'd wait a bit for the next Olympus Viewer 2 update. Last time, upon e-p2 & e-pl1 release, the 2 new art filters (cross process and diorama) of those cameras were made available to e-p1 users through the raw processing software at no charge. Of course, you can only apply those effects in post-processing on raw files, but it's still really handy.

So maybe if you intend to only shoot a small number of filtered image the wait would be worth it.

As a stop gap, you can create a close enough effect with any layers aware post processing software like photoshop©®. Copy the image in 2 layers, turn the background one to b&w the way you like it (better if contrasted - in wet lab terms, I'd say 3.5 grade filter), and lower the transparency of foreground (colour) layer between 20% and 50% according to your taste in whatever fusion mode happens to work for you. Can't be more precise because I don't use Photoshop, and it's more an art you need to experience with than a perfect science experiment anyway.

Result should be something like this :

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6RmYrkneQctbYNC2D-Te9Q?feat=embedwebsite">
moulinex.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"288" width="288" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">De <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/manuel.viet0/OLYMPUSEP1?feat=embedwebsite">OLYMPUS E-P1</a></td></tr></table>

or this :

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/wnGWwgk5woRmRPfv-wkX-g?feat=embedwebsite">
pitr-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"255" width="288" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">De <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/manuel.viet0/OLYMPUSEP1?feat=embedwebsite">OLYMPUS E-P1</a></td></tr></table>

Cheers,

Latest threads

Top Bottom