Samples of and thoughts on Olympus "Dramtic" picture mode

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mu43nik, Jul 31, 2014.

1. mu43nik

mu43nik Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2014
    Wokingham, England
    Nick
    I was wondering if anyone else had played with Olympus' "Dramatic" picture mode.
    Here are a "Natural" and "\Dramatic" version of the same view.
    I certainly like the effect but I am wondering if it could get a little clichéd.

14793508971_849b68ec81_b. maur-view-7222290 by flikrnik, on Flickr

14773633746_e0f29e9de8_b. maur-view-7222292 by flikrnik, on Flickr

Would be interested to see what others are doing with the function.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Seriously?:eek:

It's so 2012 ...

• Like Like x 1
  3. mu43nik

mu43nik Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2014
    Wokingham, England
    Nick
    I'm catching up

4. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I normally shoot RAW so I never bother with things like the Dramatic mode but I have tried it and shot in Dramatic when using RAW+JPEG. I always end up going for something different to the Dramatic JPEG when I process the RAW file, even if I start out trying to get a similar result only "better".

I think the problem for me is that when I try shooting a scene with that mode there's something in the scene which I want to dramatise but I don't want to dramatise the whole scene, just an element I want to highlight and that's often clouds which is what it would be if I had shot your scene. What I would like to do with your natural image is actually brighten the mid-tones a little to make things look sunnier and lower the highlights and bring out the structure of the clouds more, making them look more solid and substantial without adding too much darkness to them.

I hope you don't mind but I took your natural JPEG and did a quick process in Lightroom to see what I could do along those lines. It's a bit rough given that I started with a smaller than full size JPEG but it gives an idea of what I would have done to dramatise the clouds in this scene. It doesn't have the brooding quality that Dramatic mode adds to a lot of scenes but I think it is a more "dramatic" representation than your natural image, even if it is a very different sort of dramatic to dramatic mode.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. mu43nik

mu43nik Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2014
    Wokingham, England
    Nick
    Very nice David, thanks

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    It took me a LONG while to work out how to do this with GIMP.
    There seemed to be nothing simple setup to do this task, and Adobe Photoshop I find inordinately clunky in starting, and requires the other compootah which is 64-bit, rather than this old one which is my favourite.

Try art-filter-bracket with Vivid plus dramatic tone : overlay the two exact pixel-for-pixel results in GIMP/Photoshop and selectively blend as required.

• Like Like x 2
  7. mu43nik

mu43nik Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2014
    Wokingham, England
    Nick
    As a Gimp on Linux user that is a particularly helpful post.
    Many thanks Ulfric

8. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I eventually learnt how to do it in Lightroom. First you have to expose correctly so the clouds are highlights but don't clip. After that in Lightroom it's a combination of reducing your highlights and adding some clarity to them and often it helps to repeat those adjustments with a brush as well. I often reduce highlights to -100 in the Basic panel and then add a brush as well while not touching the Exposure slider or even increasing it. A Curves adjustment to the Highlight area can also help with some shots. The other thing that can help is a white balance adjustment, get the colour temperature "right" and clouds seem to bulk up in some shots. Once you start to get the trick of it it's actually pretty easy to get good clouds and it can even become addictive :) I spent several days going back through my Library having a second go at every shot I had which had good clouds in it. It was good practice and it certainly helped in learning how not to overdo it as much as it helped in learning how to do it.

I don't have Photoshop and I've never tried working with blends so your process sounds like a black art to me.

9. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    I've played around with the dramatic filter, and stopped using it for landscapes. Only got one or two successful shots that way.

But for abstracts it is a different story. When there is not anything one can reference to, it works better, I think.

Patrick K