Sample E-M5 Video

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by Amin Sabet, May 9, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I took a video of my son's 1st grade school play today using the E-M5 and Pana Leica 25/1.4 handheld. The IBIS worked really well IMO:

<object width="1280" height="720"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/y0IVsGPvCgk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/y0IVsGPvCgk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1280" height="720" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

• Like Like x 3
  2. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Jane
    Looks like it worked very well indeed! Cute kids too!

• Like Like x 1
  3. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    I'm amazed that this was shot handheld. The IBIS is awesome!

4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Interesting ... it kind of has the same look as when I use the stabilization features of iMovie.

5. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    The quality is good. It's a pity Olympus still doesn't know about the existence of PAL and SECAM countries.

6. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    Nice, Amin. But I find Olympus' video is not supported on iMovie - I am sure there are work-arounds, but nicer not to have extra steps (and potential degradation)...

7. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I use a EPM1 and OMD so I'm not sure if this will work on other Olympus cameras -

I iMove does not support MTS files natively so you need to convert them first. Try this program - iMovie MTS solution: How to Convert MTS to iMovie

Check this link too https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3284554?start=0&tstart=0

But you can switch the movie format to .MOV and the OMD uses .MOV format out of the box.

If ingesting MTS files into FCPX you have to download the entire card structure then use the import from camera feature.

8. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Cute! I don't hear any clicking in the video. Is that because its too loud in the video for the mic to pick up the sound?

9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    You need to download iMovie 6 HD which is a free download from Apple. You may need Quicktime 7 also, this is also a free download from Apple.
    You can have both versions of iMovie and Quicktime on your computer at the same time. Be sure to read the "READ ME" document, as these will be placed in different folders that you would normally expect.
    Once downloaded, be sure to do a software up-date.

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I haven't heard any clicking yet at all!

11. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Amin shot his video with an E-M5 and E-M5 video IS supported in iMovie. Indeed, E-M5 video will even play on a 10 year old Mac right out of the camera. That's because the E-M5 records video as a .mov file which is Apple Quicktime friendly.

The only Oly's that are not supported on iMovie are the E-PM1, E-PL3 and E-P3 because they record video as an mts file. But there inexpensive programs like Clipwrap to rewrap mts files into .mov files without loss of quality.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    M4/3, you are absolutely correct, in iMovie 8 use "import movie" in FILE; in iMovie 6HD, you can drag it in to the "clip" pane.

13. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Really? That's great news! Not to derail the thread but is there a fix or cause for the clicking?

14. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick

I'm in THAT category (no experience with OM-D)

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Some others do hear clicking, so it doesn't seem like there has been a true fix. However, a number of people haven't heard the clicking yet or hear it less, so maybe they have made some kind of improvement.

16. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    This is not true. iMovie fully supports AVCHD video from the E-P3 and its siblings. The moment you insert the memory card into your Mac, iMovie asks you to import video clips into its library.

17. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    You're right. I was thinking about the 1080p (progressive) mts files that some Panny and Sony camcorders generate. iMovie can't deal with them directly Import/Edit TM900 1080p AVCHD files to iMovie