1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Same old bag question...

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Dalton, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Okay...I have a lot of bags but...I want a smallish nice bag to carry either my GX-1 or my G5 and two lenses (maybe a 75mm and a 12mm or similar combinations). One of the lenses will be mounted on the camera. I will also want perhaps a small pocket for my iPad connector and an extra battery.

I am like many of you in that in addition to function and utility, I like my bags to have some style. I am willing to spend a bit more to get a nicer bag.

So...who out there has the best bag to meet these desires?

Dan

2. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    A domke f5xb will do you great (not sure if it fits an iPad--you wanted to bring the connector but where are you gonna put that iPad?)

Another one's a crumpled haven. You can put it inside any of your existing (or lusted) stylish bags and still protect your gear.

The bags bags bags thread has a wide array of photos of diff bags, you might want to check that out (cant post the link, sorry im using my mobile)

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

3. bobraynard

bobraynard Mu-43 Rookie

May 27, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Bob Raynard
  4. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Good idea but, larger than desired...

I actually do have the 5 and 7 Think Tanks. At times i carry the iPad in my 7. When I want to hike up to a waterfall and leave the iPad in my car, I want to use a smaller bag than the 7. For that reason, I often keep my iPad in a separate bag and put it in my trunk while I leave my car and go on a hike.

Dan

5. Dc5e

Dc5e Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2012
    The Retrospective 5 is a nice bag with loads of pockets. It's a pretty small bag though, but it should fit what you want just fine. I was able to fit a GF2 (sometimes mounted with one of my pancakes), G3, 7.5mm, 14mm, 20mm, and 45mm for a month long trip.

6. Alan_N

Alan_N Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    Alan
    I have the Retropective 5 and fits all my gear in, (altough if I buy any more then it won't as I am looking to get a longer lens.) It isa great little bag. The way I pack it I have the viewfinder and 20mm lens in one section with another lens on top the middle section sometimes carries another lens then my GF1 with a lens and the third section has my flash gun. There is a small inside pocket on each side, in the one with the lens I keep the body cap, pinwide and lens hood for the 20mm the other side my remote and 2 spare batteries pocket at front memory cards and a few other slim bits like lens cloth and other pockets on the front and back. The one at the back I can fit my sony e-reader in. The front pocket holds the rain cover and still has a bit of space in it.

Bag is very well made and I highly recomend it :thumbup:

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Billingham Hadley.

Gordon

8. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    +1... I got a Billingham Hadley Pro and Small. I think the small will fit your needs. The two pockets at front can fit your ipad accessories or even the 12mm if you want. Inside the bag, you can fit your camera with lens + 2-3 lens depending on their size. Can also fit the ipad mini. It fits the ipad too but a bit tight.

9. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Thanks for the help so far.

I appreciate all of the recommendations so far. We have a great group on this site and I am grateful for help on a question that has been asked previously.

Dan

10. rolling green

rolling green Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2012
    city of chi
    I just picked up an artisan artist acam-1100 also known as the Evans Walker. Should fit your needs perfectly

11. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Will you also be carrying your iPad?

12. scott0487

scott0487 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2012
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Scott
    I have a Domke F-803 (waxwear), which I love but found a little too tight to pull things out quickly and easily when I fill it. So, I recently went in a non-camera bag direction and bought an LL Bean sunwashed canvas messenger bag that is perfect (Sunwashed Canvas Messenger Bag: Shoulder Bags | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean). I put an insert in it from another camera bag I had, and it holds everything I need. It was on sale for $50 something. Is good looking, has a flap and zippered main compartment, a separate zippered pocket, a couple side pockets and a back compartment that can hold a tablet. I have bought many bags trying to find the right one for me, and this works great.

Scott

13. Kiwicasper

Kiwicasper New to Mu-43

Jan 5, 2013
    Does anyone have the billingham digital? Would that fit?

14. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I think a Domke F9 would be just about perfect. I use an F10 and it snugly fits a GH2 and three largeish primes, so the slightly smaller F9 should be just about right for a GX1/G5 and two primes. The front pocket is a good size for a spare battery/cable/lens cloth or filter.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1697934344&stc=1&d=1301449314.

DOMKE F-9 JD SMALL SHOULDER BAG/BLACK

A word of warning - people are personal with bags. Whenever these questions get asked on a forum, most of these responses are along the lines of 'this is what I have and I love it so this is what you have', regardless of whether the needs are the same. A lot of the bags mentioned so far are fantastic, but much bigger than necessary for what you've said you want to carry. Proceed with caution :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  15. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Dan, you have the TT Retrospective 5 and 7, so what do these 2 bags can't do and you are looking another one? Interested to know more. Thanks.

16. m43er

m43er Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2011
    Kata just came out with a smallish messenger bag that can accommodate an iPad - Kata Nimble.

My gripe - bit too tall for my needs but may fit yours.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_MzGtO8xgU]Kata Nimble 3 DLN3 Camera Bag - YouTube[/ame]

17. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    I don't know if it is small enough, but the Domke F-803 can be pretty stylish in the rugged wear version.

18. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    My favorite bag with my EM-5 is the Billingham 107. Fits my EM-5, Panny 12-35, Panny 35-100 fl-600 and various bits and bobs very comfortably. Very nice to carry also.

Doc

19. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Domke 831. very nice for a small kit and looks very cool.