Same colour ? Yes and no !

Antonio Correia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have a problem and I hope someone can give me a hint about how to solve it.
This afternoon I made the two shots below. Both are in the same area and from the same ship. The surface was at the same light in both shots. Nothing big was in front of the areas I photographed and a few minutes separate one from the other.
Both have different tone colours. As I want to show more than these two photos at the same time I would like to adjust all - 4 or 5 - to the same basic colour.
How to do it ?

I think the problem resides in the white balance. I hope that tomorrow I can go to the same site and shoot with the right measured white balance.
But today, here are the two images.
Curiosity: Oly 5 MkII + Oly 40 150 f/2.8
i-bgBkv4n-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

i-f7QWmc8-L.jpg

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Ya looks like you shot both with ISO = Auto, so it would help to set your camera's WB to a setting for a serious of shots like this. Also noticed the top one was shot with a +0.7 exposure compensation. Not sure if that had any effect on the tone or not.

Did you shoot in RAW by any chance? If so you can open each photo in Olympus Viewer 3 and then set the WB for both photos to the same value then see if their tone looks closer or not.

Antonio Correia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thank you PakkyT.
I always shoot RAW files and nothing else.
Perhaps the exposure compensation might have influence on the result, indeed.
I do not have Olympus Viewer as I use LE CC and Photoshop CC. I am going to try to adjust the WB on both at the same time in ACR.
A few moments, please. :)

Antonio Correia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
PakkyT, obviously it worked. Why haven't I thought of that before ! Silly me !
The adjustment was done in ACR, imported to LRCC and Screen capture at last.
However, there os a slight difference in tone but I think it the compensation adjustment to blame. Easily corrected in LR !
The one on top had no exposure compensation.
Thank you for your help !
i-NTZQMFD-X2.png

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
They certainly look close enough to my eyes. Perhaps the bottom one is throwing your eyes off a bit since the bottom half of the bottom one has a darker color (newer paint, more in shadow) that may make your eyes think the upper part is different that the photo above it. On the other hand, it is paint on a ship and so it wouldn't be unusual for the color not to be completely uniform over the entire ship even on patches near each other.

Anyway, glad we worked it out for you.

Antonio Correia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Indeed PakkyT.
The ship looks newly painted however, the lower part seems to have been submerged as algae are visible.
i-pRMbxTt-XL.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom