1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Salween River Ferry, cc welcome

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by the_traveler, May 16, 2013.

1. the_traveler

the_traveler Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    third class deck on a ferry on the Salween River, Myanmar going from Mawlamyine to Hpa An.

p1605191940-5.

2. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I'm trying to imagine seeing this photo without the notation you gave: "third class deck" to determine what I think of the content with and without that. Of course, it's an exercise in futility since I now know I'm looking at the third class passengers.

The foot silhouette on the right does a lot for the image. It metaphorically places them in their class underneath the members of upper classes. Good inclusion since it seems arbitrary but carries meaning.
    The darkness of the image also puts them below and separate from the upper class onlooker (including us) . Separate and apart and below .

The inclusion of the their food does same. It is simple, doesn't seem like much for a family that size and underscores their likely impoverished living conditions.

It all seems to work and is an example of how a title or small bit of exposition works with the elements in the image in enhancing our understanding of a photograph.