Saggy baggy zooms

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by moccaman, May 6, 2012.

1. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Hey guys, I have a dilemna I want to throw out there to see if anyone else has experienced it and sorted it.

Last night I set up with my 45-200 to do some moon shots, it was huge and bright as, perfect weather for it.

Problem is the camera was almost vertical on the tripod and the lens would drop back to 150 within a few seconds of zooming it right out to 200! Was so frustrating, I wanted to tape the damn thing in place at 200!

The mechanism is obviously too loose, its very smooth, but this is going to be an issue as I like to take sky shots.

Anyone experienced this?? Any way to adjust the lens zoom so its a little tighter??
  2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    A wide rubber band or a piece of tape will do the trick. There's no adjustment that I know of.

3. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Rubber band will be less invasive, will try that :)

Its interesting, looking at the images most are at 189mm, thats where it sagged to. Also the images are not great, it was a full moon so I was shooting at 5.6 up to F8, and around 1/250 to 1/640 sec at ISO100, focus was difficult even on my Velbonn Maxi-M tripod, need to borrow a real heavy tripod to try again, when I compare the shots to my 14-140 shots at full zoom (admittedly a half moon at the time) the 14-140 has much more detail and colour rendition, something I did not expect.
  4. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Yup, right said Fred. You could use a wood screw, but I don't think it'll help with the resale value of the lens.
  5. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Isn't there an invention that helps against sagging? I hear they come in many different sizes depending on the size of the lens.
  6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
  7. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    A quick cheap way for the occasional use heavy duty tripod. Get a used surveyors tripod for around $30-$60 (or less if you know where to find a local surveyor), and manfrotto makes an insert you can use to mount a tripod head to. Or you can saw out a couple wood disks to fill the surveyor head with the approriate screw underneath. fiberglass and wood tripods with deep ground spikes will have less wobble than an aluminium leg set which may have affected the longer focal length. Just walking around I find can mess with my aluminum legs on long teles past 150mm or so, depending on if I'm using a release cable. You can also try to sandbag the legs to reduce vibration on your current tripod, yeah, try that first it's even cheaper.
  8. EddyKilowatt

EddyKilowatt New to Mu-43

Jun 21, 2011
    Naw... it's a lil' blue pill. You have to check the bottle for the dosage though.
  9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    A camera repair guy/gal can realign (back to factory specs) the sucker and tighten up the zoom. (It's not cheap.)

10. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I Have Sag as Well

My Oly 75 300 slides out when its around my neck and I'm walking around. I just fiddled with it and did see that it can absolutely not go either direction unless the zoom ring turns. This is good news to me as just a small piece of tape can fix the problem. :smile: