Safest way to clean sensor?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by battleaxe, Nov 25, 2012.

1. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I have done some searching on google and on here, but still a bit weary on this topic. Just to double check, cleaning the sensor on a m43 camera is the same as cleaning a DSLR sensor, correct. On my G2 I have some dust, and a light smudge on the sensor, so I want to know what is the best method, and/or products I can use to clean the sensor without doing any harm? Thanks.
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Wet vs dry is perhaps the most debated topic in digital photography, with compelling, but not convincing, arguments either way
  3. battleaxe

So what is a recommended dry kit, and wet kit?

Would I just be better off paying the small fee to have the local Samys Camera clean it for me?
  4. Vincen77o

Vincen77o Mu-43 Regular

Nov 3, 2012
    St. Albans, Herts
    If you can remove the dust with a light puffer type lens brush, that should be fine, but don't use a compressed air can. I attempted to clean my 5D sensor a couple of years back with a wet kit and it ended up worse than I started.
    Is the light smudge causing a problem? You can test this by doing a long exposure of a light coloured wall or sheet of paper with the lens closed to its smallest stop. This will highlight any marks on the sensor. Nearly every sensor will show up some marking with this test, it would only worry serious landscape togs though.
    If you're that concerned get it done professionally, if they damage the sensor they'll have to replace it.
  5. battleaxe

Well I maybe an issue the smudge, I was doing some long exposure shots last night of the stars and there was some haloing when shooting the moon, and what looked like a smudge mark too.

I think im going to buy a rocket air and sensor brush, but also(since I have never really cleaned it) have it cleaned by Samys. They did a great job with the refurb GF3 I bought from them, so I can't image the G2 being any different. Any suggestions on a cleaning kit and/or brush, beside the rocket air?
  6. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    I'd take it to someone who's done it many times. It's worth the nominal fee to just let a pro do it.
  7. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    You're not really cleaning the sensor. You're cleaning the glass over the sensor. Contrary to what many people think, that glass is tough. Tough as a lens or a filter. So I guess another way to think of it is how would you clean a lens or a filter?

Here's what I did with one of mine. The camera I did this to has become my go to camera.
  8. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    I'd try a lenspen after first gently blowing the dust off. As others have said you're actually cleaning glass, not the raw face of the sensor.