Safari crashing on photo upload

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by WendyK, Sep 15, 2015.

1. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I am not sure exactly how long this has been happening because most of the time I use the BBCode method to add my images via Flickr to posts, but whenever I try to use the "Upload a Photo" button and the dialog box pops up to select an image, I get the "spinning beach ball" and Safari is completely frozen. Hitting the cancel button has no effect, and I have to Force Quit Safari using Activity Monitor.

I have a 2 year old iMac with lots of RAM running the latest version of OS X Yosemite, using Safari as my default browser. I tested and found the problem does NOT occur when I use Google Chrome, just Safari. Rebooting the iMac does not solve the problem. It occurs 100% of the time. I know I have uploaded photos successfully in the past (using the current Xenforo software), but in the last week or two I have been unable to upload anything without crashing Safari.

Is anyone else having this problem, or does anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Have you tried clearing the cache in Safari?

3. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    No, but I will do that and report back.

4. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Cleared all cache/cookies/history and the problem remains.

5. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    I'll try from my MacBook Pro later today when I get home.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    @WendyK@WendyK - Can you tell me whether this started before or after the server change last Wed morning?

7. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Unfortunately, I am not sure. It has only been within the past week or so that I've had photos I wanted to post here that were not in my Flickr feed. It is possible that it was happening before Wednesday.

8. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    I just uploaded this from my Retina 2012 MacBook Pro using the current version of Safari.

Attached Files:

9. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    hmmm...thanks, for testing Rick. I wonder if it's an iMac-specific thing, or just something specific to me.

10. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    Only thing I could suggest would be to Repair Disk Permissions using Disk Utility, and see if that fixes it.

11. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Good idea, it has been a while since I did that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Can't be an iMac specific thing. Definitely update Safari if it isn't the latest version.

If you are running any extensions, try disabling them one at a time to see if one of them is conflicting with the upload process.

13. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    OK, so repairing permissions didn't help, but I do have more information. When I tried another upload I looked closely in Activity Monitor at all the processes running and found that there was one quite a ways down in red titled "com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService (Not Responding)" it was taking up 99.8% of CPU and when I forced that process to quit, the frozen Safari dialog box disappeared and I had control of Safari again, though whenever I try again to upload the process reappears in red with (Not Responding).

I googled "com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService (Not Responding)" and am seeing similar complaints. I am wading through them to see if any solutions are offered.

• Like Like x 1
  14. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    Safari and Yosemite are latest versions. I globally turned off all Safari extensions and the problem remains.

15. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    Wendy,

Are you uploading from the built in drive, or a networked drive?

16. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    internal iMac hard drive

17. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    but it doesn't matter, because I never get that far - as soon as I touch that "upload a photo" button I can't go further

18. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
  19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I just tried changing a couple things in our forum software. Please let me know if that made any difference.