1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sad Story

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by oldracer, Jun 23, 2012.

1. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    This was on CraigsList this morning.
    Lesson:
    • Use a bunch of small cards rather than one big one.
    • Rotate the cards through the camera(s) so each has a sampling of several days' photos.
    • Don't store all your cards in one place.

IMHO anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  2. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Using lots of smaller cards is also a good idea in case of card failure (rare, but it happens - I know someone who it happened to at a music festival last weekend). I use 8gb cards mainly but have a couple of 16gb cards for video.

Taking a picture of a card/piece of paper with your name, address, email and mobile phone number on it as the first photo on each card is another good tip in case your card is lost and then found by a good samaritan or stolen and recovered by police.

I was thinking of what to do if I went travelling and wanted to store photos - would probably transfer them from card to netbook fairly regularly but would still like a secondary backup - perhaps some kind of online storage service would be best for this?

3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Thoughts:

• A netbook or any single device that you carry with you has the risks of theft, loss, and device failure. In other words all your eggs in one basket unless you are also leaving the photos on the cards and carrying them in a separate place from the netbook.
    • I carry multiple cards that are numbers or lettered in sequence. Each night I swap the card(s) in the camera(s) for the next card(s) in sequence. This spreads the take across multiple cards. My wife and I swap cards so I carry some of hers and vice versa. If I were taking a very long trip, I would probably mail cards home periodically or, if possible, have CDROMs made and mail them home. If CDROMs I would still leave the photos on the cards I was carrying.
    • Online backup of large files will be problematical in many countries of the world. Getting CDROMs made is actually easier most places but not a certainty.
    • Photographing name & address is a great idea. I'll use it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I think the most important point is the last one. Don't store all of anything in one place. And of course backup. I think many small cards is actually a hazard, since there's a nontrivial chance of misplacing or accidentally overwriting the wrong one.

On the flip side, a friend of mine went up Washington state in the winter to photograph snowy owls, and managed to drop his CF card wallet with 2 days worth of images there. Searched all afternoon. Couldn't find it. Needless to say he was gutted.

Some weeks later, somebody e-mail him to say they'd found the wallet and cards, and wanted to know the address to send them to. Despite sitting out in the damp for over a month, he got all of his data back.

So good things do happen too, sometimes...

DH

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    On a recent trip, I backed my images up to a trio of 32GB thumb drives. Small, inexpensive, reliable, and compact.

• Like Like x 1
  6. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    I always have my MacAir, dump the 8g cards into it every night, back those files up to small hard drive and then backup the Air to another HD

• Like Like x 1
  7. retnull

retnull Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2010
    Backing up to an online file storage service, like Google Drive or Dropbox.com, is a good idea, if you have internet access while traveling

8. Ritualnet

Ritualnet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    UK - West Midlands
    Seem
    I just hope they get their pictures back.

Might be an idea to also make the 2nd picture a shot of a hand written note, explaining that a reward for the return of the memory card (at least), is available, if this is found/received. While I do hope for the best in mankind, I find monetary motivation to be a decider in these things.

Backing up online seems to be the best option. That and a ruddy great bear-trap inside your bike's bags. Come back to find you've gained a free hand!

9. MizOre

MizOre Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Never ever leave your most valuable things in a bike bag on your bike outside in the nicest of cities or towns. People seem to be oblivious sometimes to the law of averages catching up to them. Put anything that you absolutely can't afford to lose in a bag that you take with you at all times. If the city is dangerous, pull the memory card and stick it in your sock/bra/etc. depending on gender.

"I'll just leave it here and...." -- I know someone who has had two laptops stolen in Nicaragua based on that. He got one of them back by paying for it again. He and the guy he was with both left the truck.

If you've got things you don't want to lose, don't turn your back on them. Sounds like he thought he'd just be a minute in the bike store.

After that, you can find net cafes almost anywhere these days. Upload the photos, mail them, burn a CD, whatever.

10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I guess I must travel in the wrong places as I've never come across a place that would let me upload the 1.5-2GB/day of images I generate in a reasonable amount of time.

DH

11. MizOre

MizOre Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I haven't tried to test the local cybercafes for their maximum upload speed, just know that they're all over. B. Ask the local computer stores if they know anyone with bandwidth to spare. Edit files carefully and upload only a few things every time you stop. Burn CDs. Get stuff printed and mail the prints home. Find an expat with cable. Whatever.

First thing is to not leave small valuables on an obvious touring bicycle.

One thing about stealing from tourists (long distance bicyclists included) is that they often just leave rather than prosecute thieves if the thieves are caught. People ask me where I'm from, I tell them I live in Jinotega and my dog is Nicaraguan. Then I can tell them where I used to be from and who sold me the dog.

12. MizOre

MizOre Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Another similar story, with the camera's finder trying to get the guy to contact him.

[​IMG]

13. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    You don't happen to have something that will let you dump CF/SD directly to USB thumb drives do you? I dislike having to have a laptop for traveling sometimes.

14. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    +1. I would love a lighter/less valuable solution than carrying my ipad with card adapter (my travel backup solution). The ipad i have to carry around with my cameras, cant exactly leave it at the hotel as a backup nor does it fit into my pocket. Itd one of those things where if my cameras were stolen they would likely get the backups as well. :(

15. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I never recommend using smaller cards, the chances of human error increases exponentially the more you have to handle your storage, keep track of which ones have been used/formatted etc.

The key is don't be careless. It's way harder to lose a camera than just a card. I've lost several cards but never a camera. I've also accidentally formatted the wrong card too but I've never formatted the one I've been shooting with.

If you're traveling, the chances that you're carrying everything with you is very high, so there's little to no chance of not keeping everything in one place.

BTW, for backup when traveling, I use a Hyperdrive. 500gb in a package smaller than a 3.5 inch hard drive. This is more for the fact that my wife and I can fill that 500gb in a week of shooting.

16. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    I bought a Colorspace UDMA case and OTG adapter. I installed a 250gb drive in the Colorspace and carry an external 2.5" 250gb drive as well.

When we're travelling, the daily routine is to dump the cards from our cameras into the Colorspace, then back up the Colorspace to the external drive. If I'm feeling particularly paranoid I take the external drive with me when we shoot, so that a theft or disaster at the hotel doesn't mean a total loss.

When we get home, my wife and I can quickly import our photos from the drive or Colorspace. I find it quicker than juggling multiple memory cards (besides our normal spare per camera) or using a tablet as a drive.

17. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I typically carry six cards, two in the cameras and four in a carrier with four little snap-closed pockets. They are blank when I leave town and I never erase or format them while on a trip. Each gets used for a day, then the next is used in rotation, etc. So each card will end up with a few days' pictures on it from different segments of the trip. They are big enough that I don't worry too much about filling them. I do erase individual pictures when they are irretrievably useless when viewed in the LCD but I am not aggressive about it. Works for me, but we don't shoot anywhere near 500GB on a trip. For that I would need quite a few more cards..
    My wife carries some of my cards and vice-versa. The cards are in one of my pockets, not in the camera bag. That's about the best I can do to separate them, but it covers most potential loss situations.
    Do you still leave the photos on the cards for redundancy then?

18. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    No, I don't carry 500 gb worth of cards :).

19. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I've been thinking about the OTG adapter, and also the CloudFTP module. On a month long trip recently, a actual brought an extra bare 500gb drive to swap in if the first one got full. I prefer to carry the Hyperdrive with me, especially now that I shoot more video.

20. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    This has been a long concern for me.
    Usual pattern for our summer holiday ( Greenland, Patagonia, Iceland ) was 2 weeks hike carrying all our stuff and food, because we like to hike in area with no resupply available, so of course no electricity, then one week closer to civilization.
    So to keep the weight as low as possible, i was until now just using a new SD card when arriving in "civilized" area, and keeping all the previous ones on me.

This summer, as i wont have to carry all my gear , i was searching/looking for the past week about a more secure solution.
    Seems SD to Sd card copier are a thing from the past and they were not fast enough ?
    So i am still undecided between buying an hyperdrive or equivalent or just bring my Ipad.