1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sad story about my E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by artsifrtsy, May 17, 2012.

1. artsifrtsy

artsifrtsy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Ozarks
    I was fortunate to receive my E-M5 in mid April. It's an amazing camera and I have been loving shooting it. I set out on a road trip last week and noticed a round dot in all my sky shots in the upper left. I cleaned every lens, it was still there. So I looked through my earlier shots with the camera and saw the dot had been there from the beginning, it was just more apparent in shots with a lot of sky. I was traveling by train so I knew I would need to find a camera store once we stopped in Denver. I went to see Tim at Mike's Camera in Denver. He cleaned the sensor for me, gave me a great deal in the grip and I headed back out only to see the dot was still there. I went back and we checked it on a sensor scope, there is a flaw in the glass filter covering the sensor. After trying to clean it for about 30 minutes it became clear that it wasn't dust.

I'm sending it back to B&H for a replacement as soon as I get home next week. I'm shooting it a lot on this trip, knowing I will have to crop the upper left in every shot. I fallen in love with this camera, and now I'm at the back of the list for a replacement. At least I hung onto my E-P2.

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That's a huge bummer. Hope you get your replacement E-M5 soon!

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Usually with a defective return they will put you back to the front of the list when a new one comes in... I hope you get your replacement soon!

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    With the miracles of Content Aware fill, you may not have to crop every shot...it's saved quite a few photographs plagued by pretty severe dust that were taken at locations I will not be re-visiting any time soon...

Still sucks though. Hope you don't have to wait too long!

5. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    Sorry to hear this, you really don't have to crop, you can clone stamp in photoshop, I hope you get your OMD back soon.... If only I could find a silver body, I would purchase it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tonyjuliano

tonyjuliano Mu-43 Regular

After having my Silver E-M5 for even just a short time, I would miss it dearly.

As previously stated, you usually get bumped up on the wait list for something like this.

Good luck.

7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ouch - hope they provide a replacement in a timely manner but as mentioned above, if you are using CS5 content aware fill or even the clone tool should prevent you having to crop images unless the dot is too large.

Good luck though and I am sure Olympus will do all they can to resolve it quickly.

8. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    sorry for the bad luck.... any pics of the bad shots?

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    That is a painful experience. Sorry.

G

10. artsifrtsy

artsifrtsy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Ozarks
    I'll post some pics once I get to a spot with decent wifi. I know I could edit in PS and will probably do that once I get home. I try to do as much as I can in camera, only because I work in PS everyday. Anyway, the rep who issued my RMA said I go to the back of the line. I'll call again once I get it sent off.

11. artsifrtsy

artsifrtsy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Ozarks
    I found some Images I had already uploaded to Photobucket

Upper left corner
    741f1512.

f920a8d7.

Honestly I never noticed it until I started shooting shots with lots of sky. Today I can see it faintly on the very first shot out of the camera.

12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I can see somewhat round darker spots on the two photos, but they seem to be on different locations.

IF you don't want to return the camera, it should be very easy to use the heal or clone tools in just about any photo editor or Lightroom. No need to crop it out.

It's definitely difficult to accept anything less than perfection when getting new gear though. So I totally understand. I got a camera one time with a dead pixel right in the smack center of image. I ended up just using the pixel re-mapping utility in the camera, instead of sending it back. One rare occasion I didn't send a camera back.

13. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you will get a new one soon. Can you post one of the images so we can see what you are dealing with?

added a few seconds later.....

I see the blotch now... bummer. Though images like the flowers backgrounds are an easy PS or even LR fix at least for the images you made you shouldn't have to crop.

Wishing you a speedy replacement.

14. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Cropped?

The second image is cropped, right? Otherwise there is something else going on. There is too big of a shift in position of the 'blotch'.

15. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    You might try dealing with Olympus America rather than B&H. I also had an issue with my EM5 that required a return, and they were very responsive. The Olympus NY facility received my camera yesterday, and they told me that I am on the top of the list for a replacement once they get cameras in. They expect to receive my particular kit (black w/ 14-42) on Monday and say they will ship immediately. The only slow down is that their pre-paid shipping is UPS ground, which took about a week from California to NY.

16. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    Why not deal with olympus directly maybe you'll get it quicker that way.

17. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    is there a spec of oil or dust on the sensor???

18. artsifrtsy

artsifrtsy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Ozarks
    The spot size differs by the lens used. It's almost a quarter inch across on my PL25. It's an easy clone - but I want it right. I will contact Olympus directly.

It's definitely not dust :(

19. artsifrtsy

artsifrtsy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Ozarks
    Here's a sky shot. Easily cloned but not acceptable for my new camera.
    5affa901.

20. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    Ok, I see it now... good thing you had an authorized dealer have a look at it first to back you up.