1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sad. Mooning over the new Fuji pro

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RichA, Apr 4, 2012.

1. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Yes, it appears to be a very nice camera. Maybe the first from Fuji that isn't a functional disaster. But it's $1700 for the body so don't expect a GF5 to be a replica of it or the old L1. The L1 is worshipped in some quarters because of its apparent quality and style advantage over the Olympus gear of the time. But I used it. It was not comfortable, it was like holding a brick. The E-1 (which was still around) egonomics put it to shame, as did the body quality of the E-1. The GF5 will likely be another plastic cheapy like the GF3. The GX1 is what you want if you need some quality, much like the old GF1. As for a built-in EVF...I'm afraid with Panasonic you are stuck with the very nice GH2.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Rich, I feel your pain. I also really want a rangefinder shaped body with a built-in viewfinder from m4/3. It seems we're just not ever going to get one.

3. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    But the GF3/5 is supposed to be panny's most affordable, simplest, and most beginner-friendly m43 camera, why compare it to the x-pro1/gx1?

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    G3 gas a built in VF. Not just the GH series.

5. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    I think that is a good point, some of the writers out there are not considering what Panasonic has done to that class. Since the GF1, they've taken the class down a couple notches, aiming to make a smaller, less complicated body. So the gripe would really be against the GX1 for perhaps lacking things its class should have, like an EVF. What Panasonic has done in-effect is to split a class, taking the original GF1 and turning it into the GF3 and GX1.

6. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I feel your pain but we have to consider a few things.

1. As mentioned, comparing GF3/5 vs the X-Pro 1 is not a fair comparison. A consumer oriented camera vs. an enthusiast niche camera will yield different designs.

2. I think that with the hype around the X-Pro 1 and NEX-7 will probably force Panny into making a left side VF brick camera. I don't know what it would be called though (GX2?)

That being said, I would kill for an X-Pro 1 style body with a m4/3 mount.

• Like Like x 2
  7. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I wouldn't kill, but I'd happily maim someone or something if Panny or Olympus does a RF style m43 camera with a EVF.

8. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Hmmmm

I certainly do not agree with your statement above.

The Fuji S4/5 were very highly rated cameras that only failed to catch on due to the badging and the fact they were in fact Nikons withtweaking by Fuji so in no way functional disasters (quite a few studio photographers still use the S5 Pro due to its great IQ).

The X100 is not a functional disaster and this has been proved by the sales that have exceeded expectation - yes it does have some idiosynchrasies but so does any new camera, it was and is not a functional disaster and many of the firmware updates have resolved many of the "issues".

Unfortunately, we live in a world where many photographers expect a camera to be all things to all people and they buy either because they want the latest fad, or they think it will make them a better photographer.

I have an X100 and as with my previous cameras I have taken the time to understand it and use it for what it is to me, a superb well made high quality wide angle lens camera that is totally silent in operation and produces images of a very high quality at all ISO's up to and including 3200ISO - not many others can do that - Fuji does!

If interested, you can view some of my X100 images here:
    571 Photography

• Like Like x 3
  9. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    +1

10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
  11. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

We're not going to get a Rolleiflex TLR shaped body from m4/3 either. Pass the Prozac. :rolleyes:

12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    But we got the same basic function with the EPL3 and now EM5 flip up screen. Even if the screen is behind the body rather than on top of it, you still hold the camera down by your belly and look down at it to frame. And you still see the whole frame in something reasonably close to real time. To hit the rangefinder sweet spot I think you need a viewfinder in the upper left but you really kind of need SOME sort of viewing system (whether OVF or some type of really complicated EVF) that allows you to see beyond the framelines in the viewfinder. I don't think THAT's gonna happen with m43, so at that point you're kind of down to the aesthetics rather than function.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :rolleyes:

-Ray

13. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    I should have qualified the statement

I owned the S5, I was a really great (Nikon) camera with a Fuji sensor. I was speaking about their latest fiascos, the X100, X10 and that superzoom (can't remember it's number but it has the same faulty sensor as the X10). The X100 is buggy to the Moon and they all have lame AF. It looks like (preliminary) the pro is a very good camera, has reasonably affordable lenses and in the scheme of things, the body isn't that expensive.

14. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Lets face it, avante garde camera design died in the 1990s

Ever seen one of those Rollei 35mm bodies that looks like a medium format film body, but smaller? Beautiful!