Review Saal-Digital Photobooks

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Printing photos is in my opinion the end goal that most photography should strive for. Unfortunately wall space is limited and so photobooks provide a good alternative to bring your work into a shareable analog format. Visitors to my house can flick through a book at their own pace, intently looking for detail or just skimming through. If a place I have visited comes up in conversation I often show images by taking the appropriate book from my shelf.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Collection of photobooks on my shelf​

I’ve started printing books roughly at the same time I started getting seriously interested in photography around 2010. Since then I’ve used a number of printing services, although definitely not all that are available. As the question has come up before, I wanted to post a review of the printing service I’ve been using for the last few years, not only for books but also for wall prints on aluminium.

Saal-Digital is a German printing company, that, as far as I’m aware, also is available for all EU residents. I started using them a few years ago, because at the time they were the only company that offered a lay-flat binding. This binding makes sure that both pages lay exactly next to each other. Therefore, you can put pictures across two pages, which is particularly useful for big panoramas. Since I have started underwater photography it has also become very useful that Saal offers ICC printing profiles for softproofing in Photoshop and Lightroom.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The lay-flat Binding allows for big panoramas spread on two pages​

The software to do layouts is decent, although nothing special. It does the job and mostly does not get in the way. Occasionally I’ve created whole pages in Photoshop, because I couldn’t make the software do what I wanted, but it’s a minor niggle.

Books are available in sizes from 15x15 cm all the way to A3. Personally, I am particularly fond of the square formats as they lend themselves well to both portrait and landscape format shots. Printing quality is very high, which is another reason why I always return to Saal. On two occasions there have been problems with photobooks. Once my parents messed up the colour because of a badly calibrated screen. Even though it was not their fault, Saal sent my parents a Voucher that payed for a second book, as well as instructions on how to solve the problem. The second book had a big streak on one of the pages and once again Saal quickly sent a replacement. Their service is really top notch and usually delivery is very fast, although this may depend on your location.

In short, I can recommend Saal-Digital wholeheartedly, at least for Photobooks and Wall Prints.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've only tried the standard photobooks. While making books is a good exercise in deciding on your best photos, I also use them to tell the story of my trips, which means that I often use quite a lot of pages. I have some books that are 90 pages thick. So the XT lines or profession lines would be too thick, too expensive or both.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom