1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

s90/s95 for dummies?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by playak47, Jun 23, 2011.

1. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    I need to find my cousin a point and shoot camera. I have become pretty picky with photo quality now. But she only needs point and shoot with good quality without all the extra manual control goodies.

Originally I looked at Canon PowerShot SX210IS but when i looked at the picture on flickr I was not really impressed. I am sure someone can point me towards a good camera.

I dont mind getting the s90. It can be had in slightly used/mint condition for $250 US. Brand new is $350. But if there is easier to use camera with similar quality I will buy that instead.

All help is appreciated.

2. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Hmm I guess no one uses advanced point and shoot as their 2nd camera?

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    a friend of mine has the Panasonic LX3 and I think it takes wonderful photos. That should be around $250 on the used market now, I would think.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Check out the Olympus XZ-1. It is the size of the S95, has better quality than the G12, and the flash and accessory control of a PEN (including external flash, Electronic Viewfinder, and external microphone). It uses the same Trupic V image processor as the PENs, and includes an f/1.8 aperture Zuiko lens... not only the fastest lens on a point-and-shoot, but also the first point-and-shoot lens to carry the Zuiko name. This camera includes both the Live Control and Live Guide menu systems found on the PEN "Lite" cameras. The Live Control Menu will give easy-to-read, intuitive control, while the Live Guide will give really basic point-and-shoot control even for those who don't know what Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO is.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The S90 and S95 are great choices. There is no need to use any of the manual features, so it's as easy as putting the camera on "Auto" and snapping away.

6. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    I dont want to get too expensive with xz-1. S90 seems like a best choice in advanced cameras since its cheaper than other and looks just like regular point and shoot.

I guess there isnt any that compare with s90/s95 with quality which is cheaper right now. The price matters too because the camera will not be used to the full potential with all the controls either.