1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

S... or T...

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by VinVin, Jan 30, 2015.

1. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    So... I've been feening for the X100 ever since it came out... and now after 3 iterations I seriously feel like I can't wait anymore, the desire, the need for the X100 is killing me... but I need some advice...

My cousin keeps telling me to get the X100s since the t is out and prices have dropped. At around 200 dollars difference I don't know if I would rather get the t or the s. If I get the s I can get 2 extra batteries, a leather case, and some other accessories... but if I get the t, it's the newest version and has wifi, faster af (apparently, though still not as fast as our oly's), a better hybrid vf amongst other minor upgrades over the s... so if it were you guys, what would you do? Get the x100s or get the x100t?

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'd get the S, if you can find a really good price. I keep an eye on those alluring cameras and typically I think the S is still rather overpriced given its age and the T being out.

EM10•GX1•EP1•GF3•9mmBCL•17mm2.8•30mm2.8

3. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    yeah... I find that the price difference isn't enough for me to go for something a year and a half older... but at the same time... the cheapest I have seen it at was 850usd... but given the weak canadian dollar and taxes and duties and all that It will probably end up roughly the same as if I were to buy it in Canada at current prices. The x100t at 1399.99 Cad and tax, where the x100s at 1159.99 CAD and tax...

It's really frustrating...

4. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Having owned the S twice and never used the T I can only speak to my experience with the former, but I'll speculate. With the prices I've seen the X100S go for used these days it would be easy to say its a no brainer. IQ should be the same between the two cameras as they share essentially the same sensor and same lens. However, think about how you intend to use the camera most:

1. If you plan on mostly taking photos of people the X100S doesn't have any face detect autofocus and I've found that the camera struggles to focus on faces since they tend to not have a lot of contrast. I don't know how well it works, but the X100T has face detection autofocus.

2. If you primarily shoot JPEGs, the X100T adds the Classic Chrome film simulation and has the ability to directly send JPEGS via WiFi to your smartphone for quick posting to social media or emailing to family and friends. You can do this on the X100S via an EyeFi card, but its a much less elegant solution.

3. If you plan on primarily using the OVF, i can only imagine the real-time parallax correction and superimposed mini-EVF patch showing the focus area would be extremely helpful for composition and focus. You get used to using the OVF on the X100S and working around its shortcomings, but there definitely are some.

4. The revised controls of the X100T would be my preference over the X100S - particularly the 1/3 stop aperture detents, the +/-3 stop exposure comp dial and the revised rear control dial and directional pad. The X100S is a bit fiddly to use at anything other than whole stop aperture and shutter speed increments and often +/-2 stops isn't quite enough for exposure compensation.

All that said, I still do really like my X100S though its always been a bit of a love/hate relationship. If I were buying today, I personally would go for the X100T, but that's because the technical improvements and handling would assist me in the way that I like to shoot.

5. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Thanks for the insight! So I'll go a bit into my preferences when it comes to shooting and also to answer some of your suggestions.

1. I love street photography, I photograph people, places, objects while walking around and I'm fairly indescriminate on the subject of the photo. Whatever catches my eye I shoot. My girl however is always asking me to take pictures for her that she can use as profile pictures or that she can later use to post on her instagram. Normally when she asks me to go on a shoot I bring my oly gear, all of it lol. As for when I go for myself I generally just use my 17mm 1.8 with the EP3 at this point.

2. I rarely shoot jpeg, mainly raw and do post processing. On the odd occasion I will shoot jpeg in black and white for a day.

3. One of the main selling points for me is the OVF, I have the VF-3 for the EP3 but I find that i don't like using it primarily because I don't like how it looks on the EP3 and I find that it's a hassle for me to use it also.

4. The revised controls are also one of the things that caught my eye, mind you i prefer the dials over the D-pad in a general sense but the customization of the controls really makes a difference to me.

My primary reason for wanting an X100 iteration is that I want something that stays in my favorite Focal Length, 35mm equiv. The second reason for wanting the X100 is that I find my VF-3 for the EP3 obtrusive, I prefer the built in OVF and the rangefinder style. I find I am tiring of bringing lenses and all that with me, I just want something simple. Also the APS-C is another factor for me as I lose a lot less in terms of DOF. At first I kept getting pulled in by the fact that supposedly the AF is much faster on the t than on the s, however I realized one thing... I normally shoot MF unless I am shooting for my girl... so technically the AF speed is an non-issue, that and seriously I have an Oly, fastest AF hahaa.

The X100 would be my toy, for my shooting, just a little bit of selfishness in my day to day. It's a camera I will have with me at all times, going to work, going out, vacation and so on... unless I go on dedicated shooting days with my friends or with my girl. I love my Oly, but being that if I'm using my 17mm 1.8 as well as my VF-3 my case cannot protect it as I move, meaning I have to change back to my 17 2.8 pancake and take off the VF-3 before I can put my case back on. Even though it would be hanging on my neck I feel that theres no protection there. I want to protect my investment as I can see that the X100 will be my best friend for a long time coming.

My cousin, who got the X100S at a pretty good deal is pretty much against my choosing of the t because of 1. price 2. the upgrades from the s to the t to him are too miniscule to warrant spending an extra 200 on. Though I understand that in the end it's a point of preference I feel that in a way I share some of his views. At the same time I have heard that compared to the t, the s is much quirkier and hunts a lot more in low light.

Being that it's an investment over 1000, I feel that I need to really think it through before i make the decision... at the same time it's great that I can get insight from people who have actually used the x100...

ugh... decisions are so hard to make!

6. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    If this is the case and you prefer the OVF over the EVF than without a doubt I would go with the X100T. Since the OVF is not showing you anything through the lens, its simply a window and cannot be used for MF. When you MF on the X100S, the viewfinder switches from the OVF to the EVF so you can focus and then switches back to the OVF. My understanding (again though I haven't used it) is that with the X100T the small EVF patch in the OVF can be used for MF without the entire viewfinder switching over to the EVF while you focus. To me that would be a pretty big deal if I preferred the OVF and wanted to MF a lot.

7. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I only have the original first edition, which I like, but I have handled the other versions in stores. I found the latest to be much more responsive and quick to use. If it's only a 200 dollar difference, I probably would go for the latest version.

• Like Like x 1
  8. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Update:

I have just found the t for 1299.99 and the s for 1049.99...

I went into a camera store yesterday and made a few inquiries.
    First question, how much is the M 240? (my father is planning to buy that for me within the next year as a fulfillment of his promise that if I got the job at the bank as a Financial Advisor he would buy me a Leica M body only, I would need to buy my own glass.)
    Second Question, how much are the Panasonic 25mm 1.4 and the Olympus 25mm 1.8? To which the sales asked me "For which camera?" and I told her it would be for the Oly EP3.
    Third Question, how much are the x100s and x100t respectively?

After asking too many questions and the sales being way too patient with me she told me that if I got the x100t it would be 1299.99 and tax but if I got the x100s which was 1049.99 and tax, she would give me both the x100s and the 25mm 1.8 for 1350 and tax. Which is essentially $100 off the oly 25mm...

Sadly they only had the x100s in black and I only want the silver. She said she'll give me a few days to think on it unless the s sells out. It is brand new unopened and she still has around 8 of them left.

Decisions Decisions...

Mind you I think the reason why I didn't jump on it is because I still want the t a tad bit more than the s... but 100 off the 25mm 1.8 is really enticing.

9. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    If u don't buy the T. You will always end up thinking what what glory you may have missed :) buy the latest when u buy and protect yourself from buyer remorse. Imo...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Mu-43 mobile app

10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    1) I wrote this up a while ago....still relevant.
    http://bestlightphoto.blogspot.com/2014/11/fuji-x100t-initial-impression.html

2) You are way over thinking things and it seems like you are grabbing at any "deal" that comes your way. Don't acquire gear for the sake of getting gear. Get gear that solves a problem.

3) If you are not going to do #2 - then wait until you get what you want, other wise you'll never be happy with what you get.

4) Of the X100 series cameras, the X100T is the best iteration of that style from Fuji. The 1/2 stop aperture settings from the ring and the beefed up OVF should be enough. If not, the AF should be. While it is not fast like an m43 camera, it certainly is way more decisive. When i used it, it did not hunt back and forth like the X100s or X-T1 did in similar shooting environments. More info in the link above.

• Like Like x 1
  11. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I won't deny those X100 models, from the first one on, have been super enticing. I'm pretty happy with my new EM10 though, and with the 17mm f2.8 it's still a very compact and capable kit. I know the glass isn't in the same league as the Fuji, but my pocketbook rests much more comfortably as it is.

12. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Gryphon, i've alwaya wanted the x100 lol but i just don't know if the s and t are a big enough difference for me to pay the extra amount. At the same time the deal for the 25 is nice too. If money was a non-issue, i would choose the t over the s for sure.

13. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    If you expect to be getting a Leica in the next year I'd forego the X100S/T and save your cash for a lens for the M240. Maybe just get the m43 lens to tide you over.

14. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Nevermind haha my girlfriend just told me I'm getting an x100t in the mail soon!

As for the leica, i'm so excited lol

15. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    LOL...I was going to say - please wait on the X100T. If you use them side by side, you'll see a big difference in performance of the 2, especially in AF and modifying exposure settings.

Guess you no longer need to worry about that issue. Enjoy the X100T.

16. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    Thanks haha i'm sure i will definitely enjoy it! I'm so excited!

• Like Like x 1
  17. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    And the point of this thread was what, exactly? Letting the world know you are getting an X100T, and an M?
    As money seems to be an issue, good luck with Leica M lenses. Ah well, maybe they also come in your mail ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    If you take some time to take a look through the thread you'll notice it was my asking what to choose. If i were to spend my money if the T is that much better that it warrants the 200+ dollar difference. However my girlfriend decided that she would buy it for me and thats why i'm getting it in the mail. In her words, the dilemma was making me obsessive about the differences so she decided to solve the problem for me.

It was however uncovered that i will be getting an M later on, but clearly if you read the thread you'll realize how unwarranted your accusation was.

Also, I never said money was an issue, the issue was whether the money was worth the product. I would hope to think that that's also how you decide on buying something too. To be a smart consumer is to be an informed consumer. Or is that not how it works with you?

Anyways, what's that saying about assumptions? Maybe I should just go buy the lenses before the body with the money you assume I do not have haha or maybe I should wait,
    cuz hey, maybe i will be getting lenses in the mail too. You jelly? [emoji6]

19. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    The S and the T have the same sensor and same lens. Biggest upgrades are the WiFi, Hybrid VF, better LCD screen, the 4-way dial instead of the rotary dial, the Classic Chrome simulation, 1/3 stop aperture ring, +/-3EV range and a command dial instead of the "nipple" pseudo dial. The T also has a slightly different button layout on the back. If any of these matter to you, then go with the T. If not, then save a few bucks. For me, the couple hundred dollars spent is worth it to go with the T. You can always pick up the accessories you want/need at a later date which is a lot easier than wishing you had gone for the T instead of the S at a later date.

• Like Like x 1
  20. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    I gotta say, I'm loving the X100T. I really appreciate all the constructive and helpful comments! Thank you everyone!

• Like Like x 1