1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

(S)He who dies with the most toys, wins!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by flash, May 25, 2011.

1. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    There's a great thread going on here about getting over gear started by dixeyk.

https://www.mu-43.com/f35/i-dont-give-flyin-hoot-about-gear-anymore-12497/

Well, as nice as they all are, they're all completely deluded.:biggrin: Of course it's all about the gear. I love the stuff. New cameras, lenses, lights, filters. Getting new gear re-invigourates your photography. It opens new places to experiment and learn. It makes you feel good. (love a bit of retail therapy). An antique in my house id a camera that's 6 months old.:smile:

Buying new gear is like a gym membership. You've paid the money so you feel more obligated to go and get your value from it. It doesn't have to be expensive. 2nd hand lenses are super cheap. Filters cost next to nothing.

So lets celebrate the fine art of capitalism. Who's got new gear they're proud of?

Personally I'm having a fantastic month. I've sold all my Canon gear and gone quite berserk. This month alone I've ordered a GH-2 and 14-140. I've bought 2 Metz flashes for it, 6 mini tripod heads. I bought a Leica M9 and three lenses for it as well as a leather case and 5 batteries. I also picked up a Voitlander 25mm 0.95. And today, on impulse (due to dropping prices) I picked up a G2 body and a new bag for it. All of this is funded by my Canon sale, so I don't even have the guilt of over spending.

So who's with me/ What new gear are you proud to have picked up recently?

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Gordon, you do wedding photography w/ your m43 kit? I commend you on selling your canon gear... I just can't bring myself to do it, heh.

I'm saving up for some gear, but it's lighting =)

• Like Like x 1
  3. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    You young whippersnapper! You need to put some mirrors back for some self-reflection. ;-)

Or else share your toys...

Before I die!

(of envy)

• Like Like x 1
  4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I just put a bid in for an X100, if I don't get that I'm acquiring a 1DMKIV.

G

• Like Like x 1
  5. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    Yes. I have with the EP-2. But then the Canon was the main kit and m4/3 was fill in. With the GH-2 it will do all the zoom lens work and the M9 will handle primes etc. If I can (and have) shot weddings on Canon 10D's and even F1's then the GH-2 is a walk in the park.

I actually think that now I have gone from carrying 15-18kg of gear to less than 7kg I will increase my ability to get the shots rather than reduce it.

Lighting is gear. Welcome to the club :smile:

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Just got one of the books you recommend, Flash. Does that count....understanding exposure, oh and an E-P2 w/17mm and FL-14 all in black. Hoping to get it converted to IR. Last week I inherited a pentax spotmatic with a 55 1.7 super tak, and an om 75-150 f4.

• Like Like x 1
  7. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    It all counts. Anything that you get that enhances your joy of "the craft".

Gordon

8. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    Useful quote here
    ' the only difference between men and boys, is the amount they spend on their toys'

over on TP, a newbie to photography listed all the kit he head just bought (long list of quite good and expensive gear) and now wanted advice on how to use it all, as he had no real idea what things did or what type of photography he wanted to do...doh!

There are two basic rules to successful photography (and any hobby, pastime, sport etc)

Rule 1 - photographer (person) 80% - Camera(kit) 20%
    Rule 2 - there is NO rule 2, please re-read and understand rule 1

• Like Like x 1
  9. Indeed :smile:

My recent unplanned additions consist of a factory refurbed GH1 + 14-140mm. They were even nice enough to throw in a genuine spare battery which wasn't mentioned in the listing. Cheers!

I also just bought myself another Canon EF 50/1.8 II lens. This must be the third one that I have owned. The other times I bought them for a price I couldn't say no to, and then hardly used them and wound up selling them again. The reason for purchase is the same again, however I'm sure it will work out this time now that I get what primes are all about more than I previously did.

I justify these purchases with some additions to my bump list.

Panasonic FZ8: bought it, tried it, never really used it - already SOLD!
    Panasonic FT1: who am I kidding? I'm not extreme! - to be sold
    Olympus 4/3 70-300mm: have I ever used this? - to be sold
    Olympus E-510: One camera too many, really don't need three interchangable lens camera systems - to be sold

I don't want to talk about my Canon stuff or legacy lenses. Let's take this one step at a time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I was feeling a bit long in the tooth, so I just bought a $7 set of macro extension tubes so I can shoot macro.....

• Like Like x 1
  11. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I bought a UV filter...does that count?

• Like Like x 1
  12. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I am fighting every fiber in my body against the purchase of a Pentax K-5.
    Eventually, I will lose.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    winning isn't everything.:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  14. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    I had 11 cameras a few weeks ago, I'm now down to 4. Unfortunately there's this large amount of money sitting in my paypal account.

I'm down to
    Leica M9 + one lens - Zeiss 50mm f/2
    Fuji X100
    Panasonic GH2 + Ownuser grip + 7-14mm, 20mm and 45mm.
    Olympus E-PL2 + 14-150mm

I'm waiting for ??:-
    Panasonic G3, Panasonic 25mm f/1.4, Olympus 12mm f/2, Olympus 50mm f/1.8 and Olympus E-P3. Plus considering Sony A77, NEX-7.
    None actually announced yet of course bar one.

• Like Like x 1
  15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm getting some new lighting helps to use with my 5D. Some gels, an additional off camera flash.

I just got a PL45, but I'm really waiting for new Oly announcements. Hoping they'll deliver one more really good EPx body before they go belly-up, and maybe that Panny 25/1.4.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Lost on the X100 ... so now I'm torn between a G3 or a 1DMKIV ... if I get the G3 ... then I gotta get some lenses, as of right now I only have a GF1 w/ the 14mm and 20mm ... just don't want to make my fun camera into a serious camera ... not giving a hoot was easier ...

G

• Like Like x 1
  17. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Ahh...great is the temptation of a full PayPal account.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I have to chime in that I certainly think photography is more about the photographer than the gear, but with micro 4/3, how can you not resist messing around with all the fine toys you can pick up on eBay for next to nill.

I bought the Panasonic GH2 with the 14-140 lens specifically because with that lens you really don't need a lot of other options. But since doing so I've added two Pentax 110s, a Konica 40mm pancake, a Nikon 50mm 1.8, a Hexanon 200mm and a pair of 28s. I haven't spent more than $45 on any of them and some were a lot less.

Am I going to have some fun messing around with these and seeing which ones really work for me? You bet! Even if the final decision is that the 14-140 is what I'm going to be using most of the time, I haven't spent a fortune and all of these lenes are in perfect condtion. They can probably be resold for more than I paid for them including shipping.

When I was shooting film 35 years ago I could barely afford film let alone a bag full of fancy lenses. The three lenses I had then (and still have in addtion to all that other stuff) were all I had. Yes, I wanted longer, wider, faster lenses but could never justify it. Now I'm re-living my miss-spent youth and loving it.

Gotta go. I need to update my eBay watch list. Might be a Hexanon 300 f4.5 for a good price or maybe a Nikon 24mm, nah too much...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    My most recent purchase was a Metz 50 Flash and folding Custom Bracket with a LumiQuest diffuser.

P1030475-M. P1030479-M.

Also I picked up an Oly 9-18 zoom which I absolutely love!

1050491-M.

• Like Like x 1
  20. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I've been in acquisition mode. Started with the GH2 plus 14-140mm lens, then the 20mm pancake plus assorted filters. Then a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 lens and adapter. Then a Vivitar 55mm macro lens. Then a slew of accessories: camera bag, lens caps for the Vivitar, Gary Fong puffer, BlackRapid strap, 5-in-1 reflector, reversing ring, 72" tripod.

Waiting on the biggie to arrive this week (maybe today?): 100-300mm lens.

After that: looking at Metz flash ...

Then maybe I'll be done for a while. :tongue:

• Like Like x 1