1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

RX100 vs LX7 vs LX5 & Fuji RX10, Canon

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by moccaman, Feb 2, 2013.

1. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Now that the LX7 and RX100 have been out a while, what are peoples thoughts on using these new models, and comparing to the old and very good LX5?

I want to clear out all my old/odd gear, my G2 and all my lenses are the main kit, but I want to replace all the old pocket cams and other photography junk lying around with one great point and shoot. I can get the LX7 for $325.00 which is pretty good, LX5 not much cheaper, RX100 is a lot more at $567.00. Fuji is $360.00

User comments? :)

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    There are users of those cameras here at mu-43, but also visit the sister site, seriouscompacts.com. You want to hear from Ray (here or at SC) who has used I think all the cameras you mentioned.

My two cents: Sony RX100 is the most powerful IQ/size combination, but the least most enjoyable to use. Its the one I still have, purely for size.

LX series have the lowest IQ of the bunch, but at low ISO (iso 400 and below) still have solid IQ and are very enjoyable to use, and are still quite compact. Cheap, too.

The Fuji is a love/not-love thing. Some people really, really love it, but its a unique camera. You will either bond with it or not. It has solid IQ, but is the least compact of the lot. I woudl say the Sony's high ISO is likely cleaner than the Fuji, but the Fuji has a bett lens. The X20 (soon to be out) will likely be even better, and the used street prices of the X10 will likely drop because of the X20.

I can only give you data. I can't suggest one for you, as I don't really know what's most important for you, but if you want cheaper, smaller and shoot only in good light, the LX7 is a good choice. If you need higher ISO, and want a gorgeous "shooter" camera, the X10 might be it, but try it before you commit. If size and IQ are the two key things, and price and useability are not important, then its the RX100.

Hope that helps.

3. The RX 100 is the only genuine pocket camera in your list. Something like the X10 is big enough that I'd leave the smaller sensor alone and get a G1X instead. The LX7 is in the middle ground for size but similarly I'm not sure if I want to drop down to that sized sensor. I did always love the handling and controls of the LX cameras however, but by the time I was interested in buying the compact market had moved on.

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yup, the RX100 has the best sensor among compacts, by a little over the Fuji X10 and a lot over everyone else. But as noted, it's interface is a pretty serious weak point - it'll get the job done but most folks who like to take control of the camera don't find it much fun to shoot with. I really didn't like it, but I'm probably a more extreme case than most with some particular wants that it just doesn't meet. By shoving such a large sensor into such a small space with a lens of pretty good range, the lens is quite compromised, both in terms of necessary software correction (which never really bothered me) and slow apertures as you move up the zoom range. In low light, the RX100 is the best of the lot with a reasonably fast f1.8 lens and very good IQ up through ISO 3200 and remarkably useful even at 6400. But as you move through the zoom range, the max aperture gets smaller and is only f4.9 at the 112mm long end.

The LX7 has a garden variety sensor that's really only pretty good through ISO 800 and sort of useable at 1600. But the lens is very fast and quite sharp, starting at f1.4 at the 24mm wide end and still f2.3 at the 90mm long end. So you can do a lot with it in low light, even with its only OK sensor. The LX7 is the most enjoyable small camera I've ever shot with. There's almost nothing or doesn't do well, with a feature set that just doesn't quit. The LX5 was my favorite small camera until the LX7 came along, but the LX7's lens and controls are a notable step up.

The best compromise between the IQ of the RX100 and the lens end interface of the LX7 may be the Fuji X10 and the recently announced X20 should be even better. It's IQ isn't far behind the Sony - about a stop or stop and a half, it's lens isn't that far behind the LX7 - f2.0 to f2.8, and it's interface and controls trail only the LX7 IMHO.

I have the LX7 and love it, but I don't ask it to do much heavy lifting, since I have other higher end cameras. If a compact was going to be my only camera, I'd likely go for the X10 or wait a month or two and see how the X20 looks. Or if you just want to set a camera to AUTO and snap away without much interaction, then I might pick the RX100 - my wife has my old one and she uses it that way and loves it.

Edit - or, as Nic mentioned, the G1X if you don't mind something a little larger and if you don't need it to be a speed demon...

-Ray

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I had the RX100 for a while but couldn't grow to love it. Felt no connection at all and ended up giving it to my brother. The X10 and LX7 are both cameras I know I could love despite having weaker sensors than the RX100. I've owned several LX/D-LUX cameras and felt the connection to all of them, and the X10 was basically designed straight out of my dreams.

6. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    Though all the cameras mentioned here are great, they all lack in the zoom department. Is there any good compact (RX100) with higher zoom than 5x?

7. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

LX7 for me

I can only vouch for the LX7, I've not used any of the other cameras mentioned, but I extremely happy about this camera. I'm never one to worry about noise and pixel peeping, because in my pro life I started with extremely lousy digital cameras, and have only seen them get better. Now I'm retired I just love using the LX7. Recently I took only the LX7, on a three week Europe trip. Once or twice I would have used my 45-200 panasonic lens on my G1 if I had it in my bag. (Crikey! - I didn't even take a camera bag). No just my LX7, and it served me well.
    Cheers
    DUD

P1000422.
    Toledo, Spain - October 2012.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I think the key here is that Sony needs to let someone else have a go with the RX100 sensor (because it's standout feature i.e. tiny size, is also it's biggest drawback).

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    If you want something as small as the RX100 with higher zoom than 5x, you're gonna get a tiny sensor, very slow lens, or both. You'll also sacrifice RAW (I can't go there) and are unlikely to find manual controls. Cameras like the Panasonic DMC-ZS15/TZ25 and Sony DSC-HX10V are good examples of this category.

Word up, Nic.

10. Darthpnoy88

Darthpnoy88 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    California
    Honestly when it comes to advanced compact cameras you can't really go wrong with any of them whether if it's a RX100, LX7/5, Fuji X10 and Canon S100/110. Best suggestion is go try all of them in your local camera shop get a good feel for them and see which one works best for you.

11. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Thanks guys, its interesting to gather opinions, and I will certainly go over to the compact forum to check out some of the discussions there too.

I started with an old GF1 body when getting back into photography, I added the 20mm, oly 45, and 14-45 and used it on a decent holiday where I got some amazingly good photos, comes back to the old adage of the equipment not being the sole reason for a good shot. I lucked out on a bargain G2 body and picked up a mint 45-200 and sold off the old GF1, the G2 is everything I want in a compact slr style body, just brilliant with features, if I could have the latest sensor and electronics in the G2 it would be perfect. Adding a 14-140 lens to the G2 has really made it as an everything camera, yes the lens is heavy compared to the others, but its a great lens, and I got it at a steal.

The idea of a GX1 body has crossed my mind a few times, sensible choice maybe seeing as I have lots of lenses and intend on adding the 100-300 eventually to my set. The GX1 with the 20mm lens would be a lovely 'almost' pocketable camera and one I would already know and understand. Macro is something I really do need in the compact though as its used for work pics as well.

It would seem the LX7 is still hovering around the top of my list based on my experience with the pana gear so far.

12. calieng

calieng Mu-43 Regular

Dec 20, 2011
    I have the RX100.

It's a great little camera!

I never use it.

Once you get into the OM-D or other nice m4/3 camera you will likely not want to use a compact. My iPhone is my backup when I do not have the OM-D or E-PL5 with me. That's not to say that the compacts aren't much better than a phone camera but I would always take a better camera whenever the photos matter. My venture into compact cameras has always resulted in dust gathering objects for me at least. Should have just put the money into more lenses in hindsight.

13. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I also have the RX100 and love it, I like the user interface and find it a very easy to use camera with great IQ and it's pocket sized too.
    I've not used the others but can certainly recommend the RX100.

Paul

14. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Why not the Lx3? Cheaaap and nice 24m

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    LOL, I had the exact same situation and ended up giving the RX100 to my brother. He then went through the same 3 stages, and it is likely destined to belong to his 13 yo daughter, who seems unhappy with it because it's too big :rofl:.

16. It's not specifically because of the E-M5, but that's how I have become with fixed-lens compacts. There is very little that stops me from carrying a m4/3 or G1X or APS-C sized camera with me, so any compromise made for the sake of making a camera smaller again is one compromise too many.

17. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I don't want to start a war or anything, but recently I've been deciding between m4/3s and the Olympus XZ-2. I really don't think there's a better compact in terms of sharpness + high ISO performance. I'm leaning m4/3s, but still I'd say check this camera out before you make your choice!