1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

RX100 DXO Mark

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by WT21, Sep 6, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks to Art for alerting us to the DXO Posting:

https://www.mu-43.com/f42/how-sony-rx100-convinced-me-get-omd-32480/index3.html#post320283

From the DXO website review of the RX100:

The strengths of the Sony RX100 sensor
    The best color depth of all expert compacts with a zoom lens
    The largest dynamic range of all expert compacts with a zoom lens
    Significant progress relative to the 2011-generation 1-inch Nikon 1 sensors
    Sensitivity equivalent to the Nikon 1 despite 8 additional megapixels on the same sensor

The weakness of the Sony RX100 sensor
    A slight retreat in sensitivity with respect to micro 4:3 hybrid compacts and the Canon Powershot G1 X because of a smaller sensitive surface area.

DxOMark - Sensor Performance

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The noise numbers are about as the size would suggest - 2/3 stop noisier at equal ISO. But the dynamic range is drastically better than I would have thought - until ISO 800 it's even better than the GX1!

Wow. If it weren't for the dubious lens, the RX100 would be the perfect compact companion to m4/3...

DH

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    DH, in what ways have you read the lens is dubious? I've been using one for a little more than a month, and I'm not seeing issues, but I'm using it for family/fun, so I'm not evaluating critically.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Now that ACR supports the RX100, I've been looking at various RAW samples. All seem to have sharpness issues outside the center part of the frame, regardless of how far they are stopped down. To be clear - it's not a bad lens, but I'm just not seeing anything like 20MP of real detail out of it.

DH

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    That would make sense. I can't imaging the corners are very good. I don't think I'll shoot RAW with this camera. It's more of a lightweight/shoot anywhere camera.

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    A 20MP 1" sensor with 12.4 EVs of dynamic range? Wow. That said, I thought DXO wasn't doing anything for a while due to vacation? What do they find so deeply confusing on the E-M5?
    Curious to hear/see how that goes, only because Sony's JPEG engine tends to be pretty bad. Probably slightly worse than the older Pana system used in the GH2.

9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Some reports on dpreview are having horrible decentering issues that can be seen at even 25 percent resolution. Others are reporting overall corner softness, even stopped down. It seems to be batch to batch, though.

I find it interesting that while the dynamic range is good and better than the G3, the tonal range is actually worse.

10. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    The main issue with the lens is that a fair fraction of them are de-centered (i.e. one corner much less sharp than the others).

There is of course no way on earth a tiny zoom lens is going to resolve to 20MP in the corners at any aperture, just unreasonable to expect that. Giant DSLR zoom lenses at $1500 a pop don't even do that. And at 20MP mild decentering is more likely to be visible. But there are a number of folks getting cameras with very soft upper right corners at telephoto. So if you buy this camera, buy from a place with easy returns!

Ken

P.S. I own one and it is a gem of a camera. Lens is amazing for something this small.

11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I am getting one today and I'll be happy if it can resolve 6MP at high ISO