RW2 image codec for Windows

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by F1L1P, Feb 12, 2010.

1. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    RW2 images won't usually be displayed in Windows Explorer nor will there be a thumbnail image or slideshow ability.
    With this freeware:
    http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

You get native support for most RAW files, including RW2. It supports autorotate function and displaying metadata.

WIC-enabled image viewers such as Windows Liveā„¢ Photo Gallery, Windows 7's Media Center and our own FastPictureViewer Professional "automagically" gain the ability to open and view new image formats, play slideshows etc

[​IMG]

+ Enables Adobe Photoshop CS3/CS4 to directly import images from RW2 (and more), bypassing ACR entirely. This plug-in is available as a small (90kb) separate free download: http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/bin/WICAcquirePlugIn-ALPHA.zip

:2thumbs:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Excellent find!! Thanks.:2thumbs:

3. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    This works great
    Thanks !!!

4. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Isn't freeware anymore :frown:

5. F1L1P

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    the link in my post still works and it is freeware. Newer version, unfortunately, is 15$.

From their site:
    What happened to the free version?
    The FastPictureViewer Codec Pack was initially released for 6 full months as "donationware" with free downloads, meaning that users electing to keep the codecs on their computer(s) were supposed to make a donation, of an amount left to their appreciation, in order to support the development of possible future versions. We had a killer product that everyone would want so web traffic would surge, everyone would love to finally see pictures instead of just blank icons, and most would give a few bucks (or more) to support the effort! At least, that was The Plan...

To make a long story short, it did not work. Web traffic did surge and people did love the codecs, but after 106,661 downloads from our server (and 117,738 hits on the post-install web page), only about 0.2% of the downloaders actually donated anything: one fifth of a percent of all users is a disappointing figure at best.

Pragmatically, we'd have been happy with 90 or even 95% free riders, but 99.8% was a bit too much (that's two donations every 1,000 installs!) so we decided to pull out the free version and to move to another model, with an extra-extra-low introductory price to ease the transition (but not before putting several more weeks of effort to introduce five entirely new codecs for version 2.0).

It was an interesting experiment and we learned a few things along the way, but it was not economically viable considering the time and effort that we put behind this product (for example we were first on the planet to support the Canon EOS 1D Mk IV, and Canon's own 32-bit only codec STILL don't support it as we write this, we also are the *only* supplier of 64-bit codecs for a number of formats: a similar codec pack is simply not available elsewhere, at any price.

A big THANK YOU to those who donated, though, it was very much appreciated! We'll gladly send the 2.0 version to those who contributed an amount equivalent or higher than the current selling price, just write and we'll take care of it.

6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

When I follow your first link it does not open to a freeware download but to the $15 version. The PS import plugin link is free.

Would like to try before I buy.

7. F1L1P

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    You're right. If it is OK with forum rules, I could post an attachement with older version of WIC codec.

8. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

Yes please!

9. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
  10. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Still Free !!

Try this
    32 or 64 bit
    FastPictureViewer Professional | Download Page

Click on the links below a d/l request will appear (just tried it now)

Download (32-bit)
    Download (32-bit)Download FastPictureViewer Pro 1.3 (Build 170) 32-bit Edition.
    Download (64-bit)Download FastPictureViewer Pro 1.3 (Build 170) 64-bit Edition for x64 computers.

11. F1L1P

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    since I can not host exe files, you will need to change an extension of the file. I've changed it to "jpeg", you'll need to change it to "msi"

LINK: http://files.myopera.com/fyllyp/files/FastPictureViewerWICCodecPack.jpg

1. right click it and select "save linked content as..." or similar option offering download
    2. once downloaded, go to Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Folder options -> "View" tab -> uncheck option "Hide extension for known file types"
    3. rename just downloaded FastPictureViewerWICCodecPack.jpg file to FastPictureViewerWICCodecPack.msi
    4. repeat step 2, this time check the "hide extension..." option
    5. install the codec

• Like Like x 4
  12. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

Thanks! Worked a treat!

Cheers
    Jeff

13. Ranger099

Ranger099 Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    The pro version, for $40, is worth every penny if anyone is curious. I use it to review my shots, assign ratings, etc. Highly useful tool when you consider it instantly shows 100% previews that are sharp/crisp - no other software can do it that well.

14. F1L1P

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe