1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

.rw2 files and windows 7 64 bit

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Lew, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    I'm sure this has been answered ... but where? Now that I've finally got my GH3, how can I view/edit the .rw2's in Explorer, Lightroom and PS6. Nothing seems to like these files.

2. deejayvee

deejayvee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    David
    What version of Lightroom are you using?

I had to update to 4.3 to read the GH3 raw files (4.2 read my old raw files fine).

3. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    I'm using 4.3, too. It doesn't actually read them, rather it converts them to .dng's on import and then reads those. Once this is done, you're cool with Bridge and Photoshop.

4. lemmy

lemmy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    London, England
    David Thorpe
    I do wish people wouldn't make absurd statements like this. How could it convert RW2 to dng without reading and understanding them?

Lightroom 4.3 imports RW2s and works with them exactly as it does with dng. Converting to dng is an option, not a necessity.

I have just imported a dng from my GH3 and it is on screen at this moment.

5. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013

6. Chas

Chas Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 15, 2011
    I am pretty sure that is a misfiring neuron...LR imports the .RW2s, in particular 4.3 imports GH3 files in their rw2 format, unless you tell it to do otherwise. I think you must have enabled the option to convert any raw files into DNG. When you import, does your dialog say Copy, or Copy as DNG?

7. Lew

Lew Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Yes, my misfire. It says Copy as DNG, which is highlighted and just plain Copy .... The thing is that I have my monitors' brightness so turned down (so as to look somewhat like my prints), that I really had to look twice to see the other option.

Where does one set the default option?

8. lemmy

lemmy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    London, England
    David Thorpe
    Yes, that's exactly it. At the top of the Import page are Copy as DNG and Copy. If you hit Copy it imports the RW2 file and works with it perfectly. If you copy as DNG it imports it converted to DNG format, of course.

Windows Explorer won't read RW2 files and its for dumb behaviour like that that I use Directory Opus instead which reads pretty much all files without fuss.

For Photoshop, you need to download a newer Adobe Camera Raw, I believe. Google will help here.

9. Chas

Chas Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 15, 2011
    use the help menu... I think it is

File > Auto Import > Auto Import Settings.

10. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Microsoft Camera Codec Pack

This should help: Download Microsoft Camera Codec Pack from Official Microsoft Download Center

If you have ANY 64 bit processor and operating system use the 64 bit version -- don't let the AMD 64 bit file name fool you if you are Intel based.

This will allow you to see thumbnails of your raw files in folders in Explorer.

In addition, most RAW files have a secret, embedded basic JPG! You can easily get that in a pinch by using "Instant JPG From RAW" which you can find here: Instant JPEG from Raw

It works with Nikon and Olympus RAW files, but I haven't tried Panasonic yet. Both downloads are free and I use both of them.