Russian magazine interviews Olympus at Photokina

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by dhazeghi, Sep 20, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The Russian magazine OnFoto conducted an interview with Olympus's Toshiyuki Terada (interview is in English).

There are a number of interesting comments he makes, regarding the future of 4/3 lenses, directions for the OM-D, WiFi connectivity in cameras, and whatnot. A bit vague, but that's how things are usually regarding future products. He was quite definitive that there will be teleconverters for m4/3 though!

DH

• Like Like x 2
  2. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Between the lines:

Four thirds: They are considering what solution to forward for existing lenses. No new FT body, some kind of adaptor OR PD-AF on-sensor. I think this is where the dillema is at the moment. And, of course, whether there IS a market for this anyway

OM-D: Perhaps even they didn't expect the (technical if not financial) success of this line. I think they'll wait and see the GH3 reception and probably go high-end with the next OM-D.

I can't resist commenting on the, frankly, idiotic final interviewer comment: "I'm not convinced about EVF, I like optical viewfinders". Right. I like redheads and Guinness beer myself. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

PS: Epson will have a 2.5 million dot EVF available shortly. Let us see how many remain "unconvinced" about EVFs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Here's the bit about teleconverters (TT = Terada - Olympus):

He also mentions marketshare - thought in the case Europe it's unclear if he's speaking of all interchangeable lens cameras or just mirrorless ones.

DH

4. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    He is probably talking about all ILCs. If you think about it, in Europe at least the first two places are reserved (Canonikon) and the next three places are shared between Sony, Panasonic and Olympus for the most part. Pentax, Fuji, Samsung and others are not that well selling in ILCs. I know that, in Greece (small-ish market, but still...) Olympus is usually between 3th to 5th place, depending on circumstances.