Russian Lens Production Starts Up Again

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by RnR, Sep 17, 2012.

1. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Just saw this over at mflenses.com

Briefly, factories have started up again in making brand new manual focus lenses. Prices seems very nice. Factory shop will only ship to Russian addresses.
    • Helios 40-2 85mm f1.5 for 8041 Руб
    • TeleZenitar 135mm f2.8 for 10999 Py6
    • TeleZenitar 300mm f4.5 for 15500 Py6
    • Zenitar 50mm f2 for 1375 Py6
    • Mir 20 M 20mm f3.5 for 7612 Py6

Much more at source link - Production resumed Helios 40-2, Zenitar, TeleZenitar

• Like Like x 7
  2. Loksi

Loksi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2010
    Sydney
    Ross
    That's interesting news! The only Russian lens I currently own is a 3M-6A 500mm f/6.3 Maksutov mirror .... and what an incredible beauty it is! Perhaps the new production lenses will be sold via eBay? I had the feeling that there were smallish quantities of the mirrors and maybe a few other lenses still being made, but nice to see something concrete :smile:

Ross

3. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Personally I miss the Jupiter-12 (35/2.8), but course that won't even fit into my E-P3 with the adapter (too large a rear element).

But I do have a Industar-10 (50/3.5), Jupiter-11 (135/4), and an Industar-61LD (55/2.8).

It would be cool if they started making something similar to the Jupiter-8 again. :D

4. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    I still need a nice Jupiter 3 50/1.5 & Jupiter 9 85/2 in LTM. If they'd start new production of _those_ I'd be ecstatic.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I imagine these will pop up on EBay, there's a definite market in MILC if the price is right.

6. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Hey hey, To me, that's the best news in some time. I'll get at least 3 of them. Thanks for posting it.

7. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I noticed least for the last year or so, many of those types of lens (industar-61, Jupiters, etc, particularly the more common ones), you'll see auctions that sell 3 at a time, as opposed to a single one. I guess in a manner of speaking, the odds of getting a nearly perfect lens of those types are about 1 out of 3 lol. :rofl: (but hey sometimes the soft ones are great too.)

8. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    WHOA. That's awesome!

I used to have a Fed rangefinder, and still have a Kiev 60 which is probably my most sentimental camera I own- the Factory Arsenal where they were made shut down in the Ukraine a couple of years ago sadly.

9. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    But I do have a Industar-10 (50/3.5), Jupiter-11 (135/4), and an Industar-61LD (55/2.8).

Just received the Industar-61LD and cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. This is what the lens looks like on my OMD with the adapter. For some reason it "on the side"

[​IMG]

Is it the lens or the adapter?

Thank you

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It's the adapter. Not all screw mount adapters have threads that line up like the original mount, but many do have little set screws that you can loosen, turn the mount, then re-tighten. So look for those tiny set screws first, as they may be the answer to your problem.

11. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Thank you. It worked!

12. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Just got the Industar-61LD (55/2.8) set up on E-M5 and having a hard time getting a sharp image with it as you can see in the images posted. Is the lens known to be that soft or did I get a bad copy?

P9170032a.

P9170031b.

13. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing

it *could* be a bad copy, but I know some are soft. I can take some sample shots today like I did with the J-11 later if you'd like.

I have this early shot here : Cameras and Technical by KBeezie on deviantART

(digital on left, film on right) but nothing of 100% crop detail which I Can get later today in the same fashion I did this for the J-11 https://www.mu-43.com/f40/jupiter-11-135-4-my-e-p3-33181/

14. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Thank you. Only if it's not too much trouble. I will compare to mine. As much as I would love to blame the lens, I also have a feeling it's a combination of me used to digital lens sharpness and not having enough practice with manual focus. Do you use S mode by the way?

15. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Just finished doing a shot test of the birdhouse going thru all the aperture range for the following lens
    - Pentax-M 50/1.4
    - Industar-61LD 55/2.8
    - Tamron SP 90/2.8 1:1
    - Super-Lentar 28/2.8 (T-mount -> PK -> micro43)

And no, I never use Shutter Priority when using an adapted lens. The camera doesn't know what the aperture is (it assumes f/1.0 on the E-P3), with the adapted lens I use either M (Manual) or A (aperture priority), and I go by the exposure rating at the current shutter and lens setting (i.e.: -3.0 +3.0, with 0.0 being exposed based on the cameras current metering method, I usually use center-weighted).

For the focus tests I just did, I set the camera on a tripod, open up at the widest, and shoot a frame for each full stop aperture (1.4 -> 2 -> 2.8 -> 4 -> 5.6 and so on), I adjust the shutter each shot for it to say 0.0 on the exposure so that each shot is relatively the same exposure just different aperture on the lens.

But yea, Shutter-priority doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of sense to me unless I absolutely must have a certain shutter speed for a shot (like rapid movements etc). Otherwise I'm in Aperture Priority (dof control) or Manual (which I'm in most of the time even with my autofocus 17/2.8 lens).

PS: I'm not sure if you're aware of this (not sure how new you are to it) but when using the manual focus lens, I use the zoom icon, and I focus on a particular part via Manual focus assist. normally with a digital lens with MF assist turned on it'll automatically zoom in when you move the focus ring yourself, but it can't detect this with an adapted lens so of course you gota double tap that zoom icon yourself (I usually set at around 5x - 7x on my E-P3)

16. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    PS: Someone just posted a picture of a van shot with the 61LD in the general adapted lens image thread, looked pretty sharp on the web view (where as his Pentax-M 50/1.4 looked much softer than the resolves I've gotten off mine).

17. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    thank you. Will practice more :smile:

18. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    I did not realize there was an image thread for this lens.
    Lot's to learn:smile:

19. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Well there's a bunch for specific lens, but I was speaking of the general one that covers all of them: https://www.mu-43.com/f40/adapted-lens-image-thread-302/index65.html#post327728

That one.

By the way just posted that thread, seems my copy may be about as soft as yours Industar-61LD Aperture Test Shots - Micro Four Thirds User Forum, on the web-size there are ways I could make them look much sharper, but for the sake of the test I didn't do so, click the images for the full res ones.

20. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    You are right. They look about the same. I was looking at SOOC Jpegs. With RAW there is room for improvement if needed.
    Thank you for running the test series