Running with a camera

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DaveyA, Jun 10, 2013.

1. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I was thinking of taking my EM5 along when I run sometimes. I am not sure if this is a good idea or not as I can hear the internals moving around when I gently shake it. I imagine it is the image stabilisation that I can hear and I wonder whether it might get damaged. Does anyone take their camera out with them for a couple of hours or so whilst running? I'm not sure how to carry it yet, whether to stick it in a small backpack or just hold it in my hand. Planning on having the 14mm on so not a big lens at all.

2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    That is an interesting question. I dunno if it is safer to have the sensor/stabilizers energized (camera on) or the sensor free standing (camera off). This may be a good question for Olympus.

I think a belly or fanny pack would minimize impact and provide some protection if you stumble or get hit by a bus. I've seen cameras harnessed to the chest for hikers and climbers, dunno if this is a good idea for runners. In the hand is probably not a good idea, again, if you stumble the first thing that'll hit the ground will probably be the camera or if you release your grip ... it will be the last thing to hit the ground.

I'd go to Oly's web site and ask them directly on how much pounding the camera can take.

Good luck,
    Gary

3. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Great timing on this thread, as I was thinking about starting one or even creating a Flickr group for camera runners (there have to some out there).

I have run in spurts at different times, and since increasing my interest in photography over the past two years, everytime I am out running I wish I had my camera. This weekend, I decided for the first time to take the camera with me (since I usually end up doing more walking to catch my breath, than straight running).

I took my OM-D with the Pany 35-100 mounted and had the same thoughts about whether the impact with each step is as bad for the camera as it is for the human knee. I decided to make sure I turn off the camera when I am running, so that the camera is not trying to maintain the image stabilization while I am moving. However, I unless someone tells me running with the camera is going to kill it within a few months, I am inclined to keep bringing it with me... I suspect (uneducated guess) that any damage from running would require a lot more running than I am likely to do and would require that it happen over a much longer number of years than I am likely to hold onto the OM-D before trading up to the next greatest camera that comes out.

4. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I used to trail run with a Pentax K20D with IS, taking pictures mid stride. I've also run with a Ricoh GX100 (IS), Pentax Q (IS), and Panasonic GF2 (no IS) with no ill effects. YMMV.

5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Try running samurai style or just snap in mid air!

6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm the type who says if you take care of your camera it will last for years...mirrorless and SLRs are precision instruments with a lot of moving parts, and aren't designed to take a lot of shock. If I was a runner I'd probably carry a camera that's designed to take shock and abuse, like the Olympus TOUGH series.

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    "I think a belly or fanny pack would minimize impact and provide some protection if you stumble or get hit by a bus."

Assuming your heirs will appreciate an intact E-M5 :rofl::rofl:

8. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
  9. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    My G5 often sits in my s-bag, that's a messenger style bag which can be mounted to a Brompton. This is a small-wheeled folding bike which sports high-pressure tires. The ride quality over cobble-stones is somewhat harsh...much worse than any kind of running.

Until now my G5 and lenses (one stabilised) functions just fine.

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I think the OP's concern isn't running with a camera armed with IBIS, but running with a camera armed with a unique 5 axle IBIS, with a sensor floating in a sea of magnetic energy, which, according to Olympus is so sensitive to touch that only Olympus is authorized to clean the sensor.

How much shock can the sensor/IBIS take before all that rattling the OP hears when he runs takes a toll? While not a runner, unless a coach makes me, (... Ayala take a lap!), I too am interested in the answer.

Gary

11. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    this

I run and ride a single-speed road bike and had thought of bringing a camera along as well, but my camera phone is sufficient most of the time, primarily because when I'm running or riding, photography isn't on my mind.

12. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I think I might ask Olympus what they recommend as someone has suggested. I took the camera with me today on a long walk over the moors and found that even just walking with the camera on the neckstrap it bangs into my chest as I take each step. I found myself having to hold the camera at times to stop the bouncing becoming too bad. I don't intend to take the camera along on every run I do as mostly they are around the same route, but if I try somewhere new it would be nice to have it. If I get an answer from Olympus I will let you know.

13. TetonTom

TetonTom Mu-43 Regular

OK, take a quick look at the physics involved, and unless you run with the camera strapped to your shoe you're not exposing it to much different forces than you would walking. I think your camera cradled in a padded hip pack is not going to know the difference between walking and running.
    Running would be one of the gentlest activities my EM-5 goes for. I just took it on a sub-zero glacier climb for 20 days in Alaska to a 20,000 foot summit (will post some photos soon!), without any problems. I take it mountain biking (not rolling hills, but the real-deal Colorado single-tracks), rock climbing, and what most folks would call extreme skiing.
    I think key point is to protect it from blunt, direct impact. A short fall off the coffee table will do more damage than anything you can do to the camera in a well-fitted padded case.
    Just my $.02 but if you're afraid of bringing your camera with you, then downgrade or get a backup. There's plenty of bodies out there you can get into used or re-furbed for a C-note (or less) that will document your adventure.

14. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    +1. Sounds like you are putting the camera through its paces! Excellent!

I'd be surprised that Olympus would go through the trouble of creating a weather-sealed camera and then expect the owners to baby it.

15. Magicmarker

Magicmarker New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2012
    Sydney
    I used to run with a DSLR and trek frequently with the OMD. I normally leave it off and put it into the bottom/ shoe compartment of my back pack wrapped up in clothes so it doesn't bounce around. So far nil issues.

When you get out to the places you can by foot, it's always nice to have a good photo of it at the end of the day.

16. auryn

auryn Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2013
    Sydney
    I run with my E-PL5 every now and then to get pics of my dog in action. With the camera on and lcd extended out, I sprint to get ahead of him then stop, get down quickly, focus and shoot. Haven't had a problem so far.

17. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Here is the reply I received from Olympus regarding carrying the camera on a run.

Thank you for your email.

If you have a camera bag with a good padding then it should not be a problem.

Seems fair enough but all the padding in the world won't stop the slight shock of every stride. I think as long as it isn't just bouncing around in an empty bag then it should be ok. Anyway I will take it as a green light and not worry too much about it.

18. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Wonder what their thoughts would be if running with the camera in the hand (I usually have a wrist strap on and am holding it).

19. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    To be honest that is how I was intending to carry it. I don't want to wear a backpack or anything. I might ask them.

20. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I made another enquiry.

I wrote.

"Thanks very much for your reply. Actually I was thinking more about just
    holding the camera in my hand, with a wrist strap for security of course"

They replied.

"It should not be any problem either"

So there you go:smile: