1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Running adapted lenses on GX1

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by danska, Jun 13, 2012.

1. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Hi guys,

I have a bunch of old Minolta and a few Pentax manual lenses. I ordered up a minolta adapter for my GX1 to try them out before I do some house cleaning.

What I'm wondering is how to make the camera recognize that I want to manual focus with the adapted lens? I don't see any options in the Fn program menu that allow me to set-up the focus assist on one of those buttons for ease of use.

Does anything change in this regard when "shoot without lens" mode is on? Thanks for the help.

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm not sure about the GX1, but on the GF1 I get the magnified MF assist on the LCD by pressing in on the thumbwheel. And AFAIK the "shoot without lens" option simply lets you take photos without a lens with an electronic connection to the body, but it doesn't change any other settings of the camera.

3. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    For me on the GX1 shooting in Aperture priority mode pushing in on the wheel will allow me to switch between the aperture and exposure. It would be ideal if I could use it like this as I run a Panasonic case (so most buttons are not exposed) and shoot through the viewfinder.

Right now I have a AF+MF setting on where I can fine tune focusing but obviously this won't be communicating when I'm not using a m4/3 lens.

Thanks for the info on shoot w/o lens!

4. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Danska....the menu option you mentioned, shoot without lens ON should do the trick.

5. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    With manual lenses, there is no aperture control in-camera. You select the aperture on the lens (or with an adapter with aperture control for more modern lenses that lack a manual aperture control ring), so there's no need to switch between aperture and exposure while in A mode. Pressing the thumb wheel does turn the focus assist on.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    And if I recall correctly....turning the thumb wheel when in magnified view/focus assist, will alter the magnification.

7. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Awesome just what I was hoping would be the case! Thanks very much for the info.

Livnius: Thank you as well. I played around with the magnification when manual zooming a lot on Saturday. It was difficult when the light dropped to get enough display on the viewfinder. I like using MF in general but I can't say I find using a drive by wire type is optimal.