Rumours that Panasonic is slowing/postponing Micro Four Thirds gear

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Compared to the statements made by OM-D, the ones made by Panasonic feel more lackluster in terms of MFT involvement. While both haven't really announced anything, Panasonics ongoing way of dodging answers like "maybe", "we are considering" or "looking forward to" feels less enthusiastic than what OM-D has presented. But we'll have to wait and see what both companies are going to do later this year.

Panasonic has another leg to stand on in the FF system, OMD has in reality only M43 and a possible TG7.

If M43 croaks, as a system, personally I will just keep on using what I have untill it dies and then see what is available on the market then, probably somewhere at least 8-10 years down the road. More if I stock a spare couple of houses, similar to what I have today.

I have no use for any perceived 8K video, it seems like the ones that is noisiest in that bracket are the youtubers and what they want to do with that on their platform, I have no idea about. :biggrin:

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If you use Panasonic M43 You can take this as them still being in the game. Unlike a certain other camera company that just lied about so many things over the last 5 years. I think the Gh6 is going to be a very good camera in a complete eco system. So far Panasonic has been smart with match still and video capability in both FF and M43 with unique strengths found in both systems. You always pays your money and takes your chances, in the long run my bet is on Panasonic and JIP (in a year we will know if they can produce enough revenue to stay in the game).

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
Panasonic has another leg to stand on in the FF system, OMD has in reality only M43 and a possible TG7.
That's true, but in my opinion it is one of the reasons why people are doubting Panasonic: Rumors have been going on about Panasonic leaving MFT or at least drastically reduce their efforts for the system in favor of their L-Mount Alliance with Sigma and Leica. While Panasonic denied these rumors briefly, they also haven't done much in backing up their claims.

I agree though: Without a new sensor, they won't (be able to) launch any new cameras as of now. Even if the new sensor is available and already being produced, they'll need to finalize the camera, the software and last but not least marketing most likely will wait for a timing they'll consider right. Same goes for OM-D.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
If they are proper and clever, they will do that on two lines, one to relieve the GH5, and then sometimes after that releasing something akin to a photocentric one with a smaller form factor based around photograpy, splitting the line somewhere between the G9 and the GX8,, with the goodies from the GH6. :)

Something along those lines should keep us entertained for several years.

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
Someone said this Dpreview:

"The session mentioned in the previous posts where a panel discussion in which Panasonic participated. The actual Panasonic presentation are on the Saturday and Sunday the 27th and 28th.
Perhaps there will be more mentioned at the Panasonic Lumix specific presentations."

Someone also mentioned this fire in Japan, where many manufacturers get their parts. Might affect Panasonic too.

https://www.techradar.com/news/sony...-key-parts-for-its-compacts-and-video-cameras

Last edited:

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well, that link is in the earlier page, and what got this discussion started. But maybe reading it again will alleviate concerns for some people. ?
How do you alleviate something you don't have? ???

BDR-529

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This is the reason why Panasonic can't even decide whether they should still stay in the MFT system or not.

Back in the day when GH5 and G9 were on the drawing board Panasonic was competing with MFT against FF and APS-C models their competitors were selling.

Panny had all the reason to create MFT "FF killers" which provide almost same or in some areas even better performance but in more affordable and compact package.

They really succeeded in this. GH5 and G9 were excellent hybrid cameras which provided still image quality comparable to APS-C of the day and video specs which exceeded pretty much everything else but were a lot cheaper especially when lenses were taken into equation.

Now panny has gone all in to mirrorless FF and the last thing in the world they want is an affordable hybrid "FF killer" because panny MFT camera would most likely just cannibalize panny FF sales, not win over Sony or Canon customers.

Let's be honest here: the only potential panny MFT buyers are the ones already loyal to the brand or random refugees from the Olympus camp unless they create a very lucrative product for a very specific niche like BGH-1.

There have been several interviews where Panny directors have clearly indicated that if they stay in MFT, they must find a different concept for this mount. It can't compete head to head against their hybrid FF bodies.

Even if there will be a successor to GH5, it will no longer be a hybrid camera par excellence and provide affordable alternative to FF IQ for both still and video shooters.

My bet is on >$2500€ 8k video-centric model which would be instantly crossed over in my shortlist. Semi/Pro 8k video is also the use case where these "revolutionary" (read: expensive) new zoom lenses are absolutely mandatory because their current zoom portfolio can't even handle such resolution let alone C-AF accuracy required for 8k.

Last edited:

Origami101

Mu-43 Rookie
Now panny has gone all in to mirrorless FF and the last thing in the world they want is an affordable hybrid "FF killer" because panny MFT camera would most likely just cannibalize panny FF sales, not win over Sony or Canon customers.
That’s why Panasonic’s L mount venture’s a strategic misfire. Not only is it likely to fail on its own terms (there’s no business case taking on Canon, Nikon, and Sony where they’re strongest, 135 format) but could take m4/3 down with it. Imagine, for instance, Sony has a brilliant new sensor with phase detect available. How likely is Panasonic to use it in the GH6? Not very, I think, since that’d instantly upstage the S series.

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
This is the reason why Panasonic can't even decide whether they should still stay in the MFT system or not.

Back in the day when GH5 and G9 were on the drawing board Panasonic was competing with MFT against FF and APS-C models their competitors were selling.

Panny had all the reason to create MFT "FF killers" which provide almost same or in some areas even better performance but in more affordable and compact package.

They really succeeded in this. GH5 and G9 were excellent hybrid cameras which provided still image quality comparable to APS-C of the day and video specs which exceeded pretty much everything else but were a lot cheaper especially when lenses were taken into equation.

Let's be honest here: the only potential panny MFT buyers are the ones already loyal to the brand or random refugees from the Olympus camp unless they create a very lucrative product for a very specific niche like BGH-1.

There have been several interviews where Panny directors have clearly indicated that if they stay in MFT, they must find a different concept for this mount. It can't compete head to head against their hybrid FF bodies.

Even if there will be a successor to GH5, it will no longer be a hybrid camera par excellence and provide affordable alternative to FF IQ for both still and video shooters.

My bet is on >$2500€ 8k video-centric model which would be instantly crossed over in my shortlist. Semi/Pro 8k video is also the use case where these "revolutionary" (read: expensive) new zoom lenses are absolutely mandatory because their current zoom portfolio can't even handle such resolution let alone C-AF accuracy required for 8k.

Doom & gloom part...

Anyway, this is what someone said in dpreview:

"I'm a native Japanese speaker (though I've lived in the US for over 2 decades)

I don't think the way he phrased it was a polite no. Most Japanese people would not choose to use the phrase 確実に if they aren't in fact certain about it. He also brought up the topic of GH5 successor and new m43 lenses on his own when he had the choice to not bring up specifics."

What is the reason for your doom & gloom? You still haven't answered why Panasonic would throw fully grown system with ready lenses and clear advantages over FF, down the toilet.

Are you speculating that a new sensor would cost too much? Or what? Why keep repeating this stuff over and over?

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Panasonic have in the past just released photographic products. Sometimes a full size model in a glass case, at other times a new camera body, the G100 and the BGH 1 which came out of the blue. Waiting....

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
@RS86, don't feed the troll, mate. Like his offsider, I put him on my ignore list shortly after joining this forum.

I'm not. He has some good input also. Someone has to counter-argue this doom & gloom, otherwise people might believe it. Could work like propaganda.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
True. But I can't be bothered.

I wonder if some of these people are being paid, and by whom. 'Social influencers' anybody ...

No chance. Not enough disciples.

You do hear this a lot on twitter though, usually when someone has the audacity to disagree with some moron who is trying to make 4+4 equal 146. Stock response is that you must be a 'paid troll' or 'bot' :rofl:

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
No chance. Not enough disciples.

You do hear this a lot on twitter though, usually when someone has the audacity to disagree with some moron who is trying to make 4+4 equal 146. Stock response is that you must be a 'paid troll' or 'bot' :rofl:
Richard, it was just too much of a coincidence on DPR that people who supposedly worked full time were able to write 6,000 word essays all day, every day. Well over 60,000 posts under a number of pseudonyms.

Backed up by its travelling companions, of course.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Richard, it was just too much of a coincidence on DPR that people who supposedly worked full time were able to write 6,000 word essays all day, every day. Well over 60,000 posts under a number of pseudonyms.

Backed up by its travelling companions, of course.

I will take you at your word for this one. There are some rather highly opinionated people over there. It's somewhere I avoid on account of it doesn't fit in with my personal internet forum ethos, ie, don't take yourself too seriously, life's too damned short. :dance2:

Latest threads

Top Bottom