Rumours that Panasonic is slowing/postponing Micro Four Thirds gear

S-Osolin

Mu-43 Regular
Concerning 8K vs 4K video, if a person is that into video that they need or want that higher quality video, wouldn't they want an actual video camera anyway? It has always kind of mystified me that still-image form-factor cameras have to be video cameras too. OK, the market demands it, but even for high-high end video? Can't we draw the line and say "you want that, buy a real video camera"?
It used to be that it was a lot cheaper to buy large sensor dslr/mirrorless than a dedicated video camera. You could pair it with a decent lens, and get a competent kit that far surpassed the quality of equally priced camcorder. Then there was size factor. For American Sniper they used the old 1080p bmpc for some cramped chopper shots, there was nothing else as small on the market. Today, the price and size differences have been reduced considerably, you have Komodo 6k and Alexa Mini LF, that are barely any larger than mirrorless cameras, and R5 and A1 that are nearly as costly as Komodo, yet youtoubers and marketing departments will still highly hype hybrids as sole option on the market. So a lot of people don't even know of Z-Cam's, Lumix BGH1, C200, Ursa Mini, or Sigma's FP.

BDR-529

Mu-43 All-Pro
It used to be that it was a lot cheaper to buy large sensor dslr/mirrorless than a dedicated video camera. You could pair it with a decent lens, and get a competent kit that far surpassed the quality of equally priced camcorder.

Not so fast. Hybrid ILC:s have killed dedicated consumer/prosumer camcorders but this is pretty recent development.

When I bought my Canon HF-25 in early 2014 it was in the 1000€ price range but 1080@50i was already the standard on high-end consumer models. Similarly priced Panasonic HC-X920 was their first consumer flagship model with 1080@50p (1080@60p in US) recording but I didn't buy that because such resolution was so new that most video editing SW packages didn't even support it..

First mirrorless FF Sony aka A7 was released in late 2013 and it did support 1080@60p as well but that was a $1700 body.

Both Canon and Panasonic had electronic IS and AF that actually worked during video recording even under low light and fast 10-12x zoom lenses (30-300/360mm FF equivalent) none of which could be said about the ILC bodies or the day.

I don't believe that equivalent Sony zoom lenses even existed back in the day but any high quality zoom + A7 would have set you back by $3000€ which was already the price of a pretty good pro camcorder. $1300 Panasonic GH3 would have been a better alternative but with a good zoom lens that would have ended somewhere north of $2000 as well.

Since Panasonic HC-X-something series pro camcorders (and Canon equivalents) still exist in the $1700-$3000 price range, it seems that even latest mirrorless FF models have not been able to finish them off.

Last edited:

S-Osolin

Mu-43 Regular
Since Panasonic HC-X-something series pro camcorders (and Canon equivalents) still exist in the $1700-$3000 price range, it seems that even latest mirrorless FF models have not been able to finish them off.

Yeah, they're making a comeback actually. Cheapest segment is out, but there's a lot of interesting tech in the range that you mentioned. They're small, offer a lot of zoom with decent glass, have good evf's, and sensor tech, and offer better recording and transfer options than alternatives in the same price range.

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
A bit of a nothing rumour with no source or anything. But if there is Lumix 20th Anniversary coming, we can surely expect some releases.

"RUMOR: Major announcement later this year for the LUMIX 20th anniversary…is it the GH6?

A source told me that Panasonic will make a major MFT announcement on the Lumix 20th anniversary day. I guess the GH6 would fit perfectly for the occasion!"

https://www.43rumors.com/rumor-majo...for-the-lumix-20th-anniversary-is-it-the-gh6/
Do we know the date?

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom