Rumours of M4/3s Demise...

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
...Have been greatly exaggerated!

If there is one thing that this Photokina has shown, it's the vitality that's still pumping through this system. At many price points and quality levels, I'm actually a little bit blown away.

While a lot of the announced products aren't available yet, we've got:

G80 + 12-60mm lens, weather-sealed, 4K, 5-axis IBIS, huge EVF kit for only $999!

25mm/1.2 image quality looks to be ludicrously good.

12-100/f4 also seems to live up the PRO branding.

3 (!) new Panasonic-Leica f2.8-4 zooms which look like they will be a superb combination of size, weight, aperture, and quality (if not price....)

GH5 bringing literally unprecedented video specifications with it. The kind of quality you'd need to spend well over $5000 to get at this point.

E-M1 II looking like it will have burst speeds, focus specs, and even sensor quality to compete with the very best of the big boys. Maybe @Speedliner won't need to switch after all...

Really, Panasonic and Olympus look like they are firing on all cylinders here. If anyone thought that M4/3 had lost its way or was falling behind, this seems like as firm a rebuttal as they could have given.

And yeah, the products aren't cheap, but neither are the M4/3 and FF offerings that they're squaring up against. And the reason I mentioned the G80 first is because it appears to be the best deal in cameras right now, besides the exception of the Pentax K70 (if you can get down with DSLRs still).

Last edited:

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
The have gotten blasted several times for taking bad images. The last MFT one I remember was the 100-400, they actually took some of the shots down because of how bad they were. it ended up being an issue with the person using the lens and not the lens.

RichardB

Snapshooter
Real Name
Richard

Brian Beezley

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The flare only appears when the lens is stopped down to f/8 or smaller, and I don't mind the 18-spoke starbursts. The shots with f/4 and larger aperture show no flare even when aimed straight at the sun.

Mild purple flare for one shot at f/4 and two at f/1.2, more serious green flare and overall haze at f/1.2. More flared images at higher f-stops. The images are gorgeous when not pointed anywhere near the sun, but ...

Brian

RichardB

Snapshooter
Real Name
Richard
Mild purple flare for one shot at f/4 and two at f/1.2, more serious green flare and overall haze at f/1.2. More flared images at higher f-stops. The images are gorgeous when not pointed anywhere near the sun, but ...
At least Olympus is throwing in a hood for $1200, but I don't think the DPReview photographers used it.

I understand that lens flare is a technical flaw, but for me it adds beauty to a photograph. I need to come up with a word to describe the quality of flare, the way bokeh describes the quality of blur, and soon photographers will demand more flare and lens designers will add reflective coatings to internal surfaces.

kwalsh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
With Samsung NX and Nikon 1 both dead we are starting to see who the mirrorless survivors are. M43 has done well to make use of its long head start and is now a very impressive system. Fuji has made a very impressive late entry and through carefully thought out products targeted at prosumer I think is here to stay. Sony A7 is of course successfully attacking the FF DLSR market. I guess Sony NEX will stay through inertia and brand recognition?

Canon is extremely late and still rather half hearted. Nikon looks to have given up and gone with the fixed lens DL series instead for now. So eight years later we still wait to see if the largest players of the past will even attempt to seriously compete in this market. Nikon failed its first attempt and it is hard to claim Canon has even tried yet.

But it sure seems m43 is going to be here for a long time to come and all the recent announcements show it is still one of the most vibrant and innovative mirrorless systems.

Schwingi

Mu-43 Regular
I'm rather new to the M43 world, "demise" is a little harsh, but the future is somewhat limited because of the sensor size. 16mp since years, 20mp in the new oly and the pana gx8 - but then?!

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
But it sure seems m43 is going to be here for a long time to come
it sure looks like that, with zillions of lenses. Old 4/3 was a little ahead of it's time and I think Oly learned alot from that, knowledge they developed further when creating m4/3.

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
I'm rather new to the M43 world, "demise" is a little harsh, but the future is somewhat limited because of the sensor size. 16mp since years, 20mp in the new oly and the pana gx8 - but then?!

I can only speak for myself, but the limiting factor on my squarely amateur photography has nothing to do with the tech in the hands, and everything to do with the meatbag with the hands.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro

Their are better ways of improving a camera than just increasing the MP count. Dynamic range, noise reduction, FPS increase, shutter shock reduction, image stabilization improvements, focus stacking, video features to name but a few.

Latest threads

Top Bottom