rumoured PDAF on NEX 5R

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by jyc860923, Aug 17, 2012.

1. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    [​IMG]

Trusted sources told us that the NEX-5R has a new 16 Megapixel sensor with phase detection AF pixels on sensor! This is pretty much the same technology used by the new Canon EOS-M mirrorless camera (click here to see that cam) that also uses those kind of pixels. It allows a super fast autofocusing and more reliable tracking of moving objects while the contrast autofocus is more accurate. Combine that and you have an almost perfect autofocus!
    It’s not confirmed yet but the NEX-6 could use exactly the same sensor!
    P.S.: Last year we spotted a Sony patent describing that technology (Click here to read it).

2. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Ehmmm... from what I've seen thus far, I'm not convinced at all that the EOS-M has "super fast" or "perfect" AF. :smile:

In fact, I think I saw a rumor about an alternative patent from Canon (perhaps they did understand their current in-sensor PD/CD-AF is garbage for todays' standards, who knows?).

I sincerely hope the next sensor in a future Olympus OM-line camera will also be from Sony and that it'd implement this tech. I'm pretty much convinced that an "intelligent" focusing system implementing a combination of in-sensor PD and CD AF will be a gamechanger for mirrorless cameras; and perhaps the major step in bringing digital flipping-mirror era to its end.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    well neither do I, sorry but I just quote what they said. and may I guess those cameras (Nikon 1 system) that use on chip pdaf could probably be using Sony sensors afterwards?

and if Oly is to do so there will be another good reason for Panny to catch up.:rofl:

don't know if this could be the end of DSLR, but I'm never going to invest in any entry level DSLR ever since I'm spoiled by the current gear.

4. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Nikon currently uses an Aptiva sensor but who knows for the future?

• Like Like x 1
  5. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Yeah, I've seen the video, and also the initial DigitalRev review of the 650D had an interesting part in it, in which Kai "tried" to use the Live View + touch focus/shutter release. I say "tried" because the result was pretty disgusting. The 650D uses the exact same system AF system as the EOS-M (when using Live View and in video, of course).

At this rate, it won't take as long as is generally believed for Sony to surpass Canon as the #1 in camera world. As an ex-Canon user I feel a bit sad, I have to admint. Canon is struggling to come up with the same tech that Sony already had a generation and a half ago. Now, with the RX-100 totally annihilating the competition in high-end compacts, NEX being established in the mirrorless market, Sony producing highly competitive entry/medium level DSLR alternatives (Alpha line) and even coming up with a FF body at a (rumored) great price point... what Canon is to do? Not to mention Sony providing high quality sensors to almost all of Canon's competition.

At this point, Canon is living on borrowed (legacy and marketing presence) time.