Rumoured Panasonic GX10

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thinking again, the RX1 came up because its the silliest income disposal camera I can think of... that’s disrespectful to the mighty PenF

While the RX1 has always been more than I care to spend for what it is, if you are a full frame shooter you can get that fixed lens camera for less than a 35/1.4 lens. The RX1 is 35/2, but that's plenty fast for most of us.

Anyway, isn't Leica the undisputed king of this category?

Real Name
Andrew L
I think its quite possible that M43 just doesn’t tickle this $1000-2000 lifestyle camera niche
You might be on to something there. Many popular photographers have M4/3 cameras but they're rarely their flagship cameras. Maybe if Panasonic were really thinking they would price their M4/3 bodies as low as possible (excepting the video powerhouse GH) with their new L-mount cameras slotted as the more pricey niche since people still seem to throw more money at FF whether they need it or not.

Then again, it kind of seems like Panasonic does that to an extent. The GX9 was certainly a model that was strategically designed to accomplish a lot without a significant markup from the GX85. Which was itself slotted below the GX8 in price.

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
Anyway, isn't Leica the undisputed king of this category?

They are, and the Pen-F was never going to make it to the same level of general cultural cachet as a Leica.

You might be on to something there. Many popular photographers have M4/3 cameras but they're rarely their flagship cameras. Maybe if Panasonic were really thinking they would price their M4/3 bodies as low as possible (excepting the video powerhouse GH) with their new L-mount cameras slotted as the more pricey niche since people still seem to throw more money at FF whether they need it or not.

There's not as much synergy between Panasonic M43 and L cameras, since the lenses are not interchangeable. The main one that would matter to me is G9/GH5 and S1/S1H having similar codecs and color profiles. In this case the M43 cameras are great B cameras due to the significantly better portability compared to the 1 kg mass of S1 bodies.

Where there is overlapping lens size, I would actually prefer a FF sensor over M43 for stills. However, since there are plenty of important lens size classes that are not available on FF at premium build quality, I still maintain an M43 kit. At some point, used Canon R and A7m3 cameras, combined with cheap-ish lens library (adapted on Canon and native non-Sony on A7), is going to squeeze margins on new M43 releases even more.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
hard to believe the speculation on this body has resulted in only half as many posts as the speculation on the new Oly lens...

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Joel
I was surprised that it didn't make it into the Northrups "predictions" for 2020.

hoodlum

Mu-43 Top Veteran
hard to believe the speculation on this body has resulted in only half as many posts as the speculation on the new Oly lens...

Maybe there is more interest in this lens than we think. Photorumors listed their most popular rumors for January and the Oly lens came in 2nd, just behind the Sony A7IV leak and ahead of the EOS 1DX, E-M1iii and D780 leaks.

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Obviously they should improve the EVF. I don't expect them to put the GX8 or G9 EVF into the GX10 but a 4:3 ratio panel that's about as good as what's in the G85 or G95 would be great. I'd also like to see full no-crop 4K recording. It probably won't get a joystick and if it doesn't then they should at least upgrade the touch interface so that you can limit which areas of the screen can be used for AF point adjustment. Weather sealing would be nice but I won't hold my breath for that. A bigger grip to allow a bigger battery would be fantastic. An easy one to do would be to add the snap-focus feature that is in the Ricoh GR cameras unless there's a patent issue. The GX form factor with tilting EVF and rear screen, compact size and deep depth-of-field (relative to larger sensors) already make it great as a street shooter and snap-focus would make it even better.

At some point they need to do a proper job of stealing Olympus's composite and live long exposure mode. 4K or 6K composite mode just isn't the same thing; they've got to write the files as raws, not jpegs.

And finally, release an updated version of the 20/1.7 pancake with faster, silent AF and weather sealing. Make that one of the available kit lenses. Or an updated 12-32 with a MF ring, that would also be a great kit lens for a GX10.

I'll bet, internally, there's pressure from some marketing people to give it a screen capable of facing forward to satisfy the selfie/vlogger crowd. I hope that doesn't happen because it will likely jeopardize the simple single-axis tilting rear screen.

Real Name
Andrew L
And finally, release an updated version of the 20/1.7 pancake with faster, silent AF and weather sealing. Make that one of the available kit lenses. Or an updated 12-32 with a MF ring, that would also be a great kit lens for a GX10.
There won't be a faster focusing 20mm pancake, at least not without significantly reducing IQ. The simple lens design that moved the whole lens assembly is the reason the transmission is so good, and the size is so compact.

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
There won't be a faster focusing 20mm pancake, at least not without significantly reducing IQ. The simple lens design that moved the whole lens assembly is the reason the transmission is so good, and the size is so compact.
That's a shame.

Real Name
Andrew L
That's a shame.
I really wish Panasonic would implement some sort of zone focus stages in the camera, like what Ricoh does with the GR. Being able to preset the 20mm to 1.5,2,2.5,3,5 meters and shoot that way would be amazing. However using the GX85 I never had a problem with AF speed with the 20mm. I set up a very specific AF pattern using the custom AF and had half-press release set to on, and the performance was more than fast enough.

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
I really wish Panasonic would implement some sort of zone focus stages in the camera, like what Ricoh does with the GR. Being able to preset the 20mm to 1.5,2,2.5,3,5 meters and shoot that way would be amazing.
I mentioned the same desire in this thread of some other GX10-related thread. Snap Focus would be great.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Thinking about getting a GX9 to be a secondary camera to my GX8. I like to work with two cameras when I'm traveling. GX8 with Leica 12-60/2.8-4 and something like the GX9 (replacing my GX7) with 7-14, or a fast and small prime, like the 12/2, 15/1.7, 17/1.8, 20/1.7, 25/1.4, 45/1.8.

Of course I feel that the GX9 is a major step down in body, handling, and EFV. For me, the GX9 grip/body is only suited to small zoom lenses or primes, not the larger/heavier ones.

What's keeping me from springing for a GX9 is the promise of the GX10, which I pray will be in a body like the much-loved GX8, but upgraded with some of the latest features.

Or, I could just buy a second GX8? (I LOVE the GX8! ?)

Waiting patiently....

Last edited:

mike3996

Mu-43 Veteran
Be it continuation of GX8 or GX9, if it has some of the niceties introduced by G9 (AF improvements; AF Near/Far) then it's going to be a really powerful camera for street work.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I really wonder how much further they can push the tech in the current form factor. Who knows, maybe we will get the camera we are looking for, because in the current form factor they might be running out of things to upgrade. I mean what big features are there in the G9 that you could put into the GX10 without requiring an upgrade in size.

- EVF requires bigger camera
- better Video (requires more space for venting heat)
- Weather Resistance (probably can't be done at that size)
- High Resolution (can probably be done at this size, but is generally considered a premium item)

I don't know how big the difference in AF is between the GX9 and the G9. I hear that many people are quite happy with the G9, whereas others seem to think that the Em1mkII is still way ahead. I think marketing wise it might be good if Panasonic gave it's AF systems names (DFD1, DFD2) like they did with Dual IS or like Olympus does with their TruePic Processors. That way people can roughly see where a camera falls and they could probably get away with just adding improved AF and High Resolution to a GX10.

If they put a G9 into a GX8 body I think there would be a good amount of people that would buy that camera.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I am finding the Gx8 and the G9 is the perfect combination. Next camera to get replace is the Gx85, pretty sure it will be a Gx10 or EM5iii. Will just have to wait and see.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
I really wonder how much further they can push the tech in the current form factor. Who knows, maybe we will get the camera we are looking for, because in the current form factor they might be running out of things to upgrade. I mean what big features are there in the G9 that you could put into the GX10 without requiring an upgrade in size.

Look at it this way:
1581998427978.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The main difference is the EVF hump:
1581998608037.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Look how many formerly flagship E-M1 II features Olympus was able to put in the E-M5 III:
  • 20.4MP four thirds sensor
  • 5-axis stabilisation (5.5Ev) with Sync IS (6.5Ev)
  • weather sealing (dust, moisture and cold temperatures down to -10ºC)
  • live time and live composite
  • High Res Shot mode at 50MP/80MP (tripod only)
  • focus bracketing and focus stacking
  • up to 1/8000s with the mechanical shutter, up to 1/32000s with the electronic shutter
  • vary-angle LCD monitor with touch sensitivity
  • Bluetooth

If Panasonic could do the same, with an improved EVF and keeping the tilt-up screen for diversity, I know a fair number of ppl would buy it in a heartbeat.

I only realised today how close in size the GX9 and E-M5 III were.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
I am finding the Gx8 and the G9 is the perfect combination. Next camera to get replace is the Gx85, pretty sure it will be a Gx10 or EM5iii. Will just have to wait and see.

Seems like that would be a good combination - larger lens on the GX8 (for me, a PL 12-60/2.8-4), and prime or small zoom on the GX9 (12/1.4 or 9-18).

BUT....must....wait....to...see...GX10! :whistling:

Is this crazy? If for some reason I decide that the GX10 is not for me (and I still don't like the size/bulk of the G9)... then, go for a EM1-III ?

The EM1-III is similar in size to my favorite GX8. And a pretty competent camera, at that. Though I prefer Pany bodies... I might be able to get along with the EM1-III. :eek:

Last edited:

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Look at it this way:
View attachment 803373

The main difference is the EVF hump:
View attachment 803375

Look how many formerly flagship E-M1 II features Olympus was able to put in the E-M5 III:
  • 20.4MP four thirds sensor
  • 5-axis stabilisation (5.5Ev) with Sync IS (6.5Ev)
  • weather sealing (dust, moisture and cold temperatures down to -10ºC)
  • live time and live composite
  • High Res Shot mode at 50MP/80MP (tripod only)
  • focus bracketing and focus stacking
  • up to 1/8000s with the mechanical shutter, up to 1/32000s with the electronic shutter
  • vary-angle LCD monitor with touch sensitivity
  • Bluetooth

If Panasonic could do the same, with an improved EVF and keeping the tilt-up screen for diversity, I know a fair number of ppl would buy it in a heartbeat.

I only realised today how close in size the GX9 and E-M5 III were.

If Panasonic was smart, for the GX10, they would return to the body size of the GX8 and I'm pretty sure they could create quite a masterpiece, loaded with goodies we would love.

Let's just hope that they don't screw themselves all up by making the GX10 in the form factor of the GX9, with another crappy EVF and the same sensor. I don't think they would - what would be the sense in that? It would be a nothing-burger, no better than the GX9.

Make it with the GX8 body, back to the better grip, back to the GX8 premium EVF and articulating LCD, upgrade to a new 24mp sensor (that would set the m4/3 world on it's ear), add in their top grade IBIS, and a few other up-to-date features. Charge us a premium for it - oh well! I'll be first in line to buy one (or two). :rolleyes: Then that body will last me another 4+ years.

Last edited:

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
If they gave the GX10 a larger grip, they would have some extra room for a larger battery plus some other stuff. Maybe shift some components into the larger grip area to make room for a larger EVF. I would not like them to lose the built-in flash, though.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
If they gave the GX10 a larger grip, they would have some extra room for a larger battery plus some other stuff. Maybe shift some components into the larger grip area to make room for a larger EVF. I would not like them to lose the built-in flash, though.

I agree, except the part about a built in flash - not something I would use.

Latest threads

Top Bottom