Rumoured Panasonic GX10

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
Wouldn't mind it being GX8 sized and specced with the G9 battery and Sensor.... If its going to be GX7IV, for gods sake, make it weather resistant and please give it a proper EVF (Keep the sviweling).

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran
If this is a successor to the GX7/85/9 then I really hope they stick to the same size. I buy the GX partly for its compact size. The Gnn and Gn bodies I buy for bigger size and better ergonomics and technical ability. I do wish the GX8 fans the best but not at the cost of the compact size of the sons-of-the-GX7 line.

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
I'll be interested to see how this shakes out, have been thinking of upgrading from my GX85 and always like the smaller bodies. What are the odds Panasonic will go to an EVF with a 4:3 aspect ratio instead of 16:9? It's bad enough that the magnification on the GX85 isn't very large, and then you lose even more by not being able to use the full display.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
In hindsight its really been:
GX7 -> GX7 II/GX80 -> GX7 III / GX9
GX8 -> G9

The same way ppl complained about the GX9 not being a sequel to the GX8 is the same way ppl complained bitterly and said that the GX8 was not a proper successor to the GX7. In reality the GX8 was an outlier and their attempt at a photo-centric flagship separate and apart from their video-centric GH series. In that case the true spiritual successor to the GX8 was the G9 with their reasoning that the SLR style G-bodies sold better.
You can see the real GX7 lineage just based off the Japanese domestic names for the GX80 and GX9.

They really shot themselves in the foot by naming the GX7 III GX9. If they had just stuck to their nomenclature of single digit is pro and double digit is consumer, and called it a GX90 it would have saved them the backlash from disappointed GX8 owners with higher expectations. We would have been disappointed it's not a GX8 II but not surprised by the lower specs considering the name. GX80 people would be happy because they'd see their upgrade path and real improvement between versions. Really bad marketing on their part.
If they had kept the GX9 a two digit name or stated that the G9 was the successor to the GX8 it would have made more sense. But if they say the GX10 is the successor to the GX8 it will confuse things even more.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
If they had kept the GX9 a two digit name or stated that the G9 was the successor to the GX8 it would have made more sense. But if they say the GX10 is the successor to the GX8 it will confuse things even more.
The only way I see they can consolidate the GX line and satisfy most people would be to make a smaller GX8 body /w refinements (including EVF) filled with at LEAST G90 internals; about the same approx size of a 'humpless' and smaller gripped G85 (there's a precedence for a size increase since the G90 is bigger than G85). That way u get the weather sealing , improved EVF, all the latest tech and software and the better IBIS of the G series. Keep the tilt up screen though to differentiate from the G-series cameras and for those who want it. If they could find a way to cram the GX8's battery in there too for improved battery life, that'd be nice; it could work because the G85's battery doesn't fit into the space of the grip.

1579753551262.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Price it cheaper than the EM5-III and you'd have quite a viable RF style camera that people have been clamoring for.

Ofcourse you could just end up alienating the GX9 ppl because its not as svelte anymore :p

Last edited:

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran
I agree with CyVan that a larger grip is necessary both for handling and for a larger battery. And I think the larger battery is necessary for improved stabilization and AF speed.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
The GX9 was not overly successful commercially. They can't simply release a slightly modified/updated version. It needs to be a substantial reworking.

On that basis, Im quite excited by the prospect.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
If it was like the size of the GX80 and with the G90/G9 20MP sensor, EVF and OLED display, it would shift. Many if us use the GX80 as a discrete 2nd camera. But its faults like the EVF must have hampered its sales.

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
The GX9 was not overly successful commercially. They can't simply release a slightly modified/updated version. It needs to be a substantial reworking.

On that basis, Im quite excited by the prospect.
Nope, something substantial is in order, but to some extent there seems to have become a trend to do only incremental upgrades. I have and somewhat still recommend people asking about help on cameras to look at the GX80. It is probably the best value for money the system has to offer in the economy dept. If looking at the advanced enthusiast level the best bet is currently the G9 in return on money spent, especially if one hooks it on one of the many, many campaigns going on.

That means that the GX10 has to have some strong features at a price not over the campaign prices on the G9, in my book or being further dumbed down at an even lower price point. The latter one would most likely kill off the GX line.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
The only way I see they can consolidate the GX line and satisfy most people would be to make a smaller GX8 body /w refinements (including EVF) filled with at LEAST G90 internals; about the same approx size of a 'humpless' and smaller gripped G85 (there's a precedence for a size increase since the G90 is bigger than G85). That way u get the weather sealing , improved EVF, all the latest tech and software and the better IBIS of the G series. Keep the tilt up screen though to differentiate from the G-series cameras and for those who want it. If they could find a way to cram the GX8's battery in there too for improved battery life, that'd be nice; it could work because the G85's battery doesn't fit into the space of the grip.

Price it cheaper than the EM5-III and you'd have quite a viable RF style camera that people have been clamoring for.

Ofcourse you could just end up alienating the GX9 ppl because its not as svelte anymore :p
This is viable, but instead of trying to make it a successor to any of the previous models, simply bill it as a "Revamping of the GX series!". Splitting the difference in size and offering the better specs would likely appease more people than alienate them.

Unfortunately, I can see this going the way of the G90/95 price-wise, which could make it fall into the same black hole.

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
Given the way most industries that make consumer products work these days, I'm surprised there will be a GX10.

If the GX9 didn't sell well, coventional thinking would have Panasonic simply dropping rangefinder-style cameras and saying "See, nobody wants them," when in fact the problem could be the camera itself.

So props to Panasonic for even creating a GX10. Especially given the company's emphasis on full frame these days. Let's just hope the new camera isn't dumbed down.

Personally, I want a GX8 replacement. But if it's a GX9 with WR and a better EVF, I'd still be happy.

newmikeman

Mu-43 Rookie
I have a G9 and a GX80 and whilst the G9 is wonderful for very many kinds of subject and situation, the GX80 has the tilt screen that is essential in the street and is small enough to slip in my pocket. It would be tempting if the GX80's main faults were to be fixed in the GX10 and these are very poor EVF and shockingly poor battery life. With these I might even lose the G9!

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
It would be tempting if the GX80's main faults were to be fixed in the GX10 and these are very poor EVF and shockingly poor battery life.
Ah yes... battery life. I failed to mention that. It's becoming a problem with more and more cameras across all brands these days. At least Sony finally realized they needed a bigger/better battery in their full-frame and APS-C products.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Given the way most industries that make consumer products work these days, I'm surprised there will be a GX10.

If the GX9 didn't sell well, coventional thinking would have Panasonic simply dropping rangefinder-style cameras and saying "See, nobody wants them," when in fact the problem could be the camera itself.
I'm guessing they just count the GX9 as a miss and are betting on the popular GX8 and GX80 for their marketing cues.

newmikeman

Mu-43 Rookie
@Brownie and @Biro I fear you might be right but to me it would be a real shame.
Panasonic - in case you're listening, please don't give up on this GX80/GX85/GX9 style of camera, just fix the major flaws of EVF and battery life!
I did buy a GX9 new last spring from Jessops (with £100 cashback) in the expectation, or rather hope, that it would have a better battery life and EVF and to take advantage of slightly more recent technology such as the sensor.
The EVF maybe I had got used to but it was just like on the GX80 (small and hard to see) plus it had that gimmickly tilt from the GX8. I've nothing against the tilt but In my 6 weeks with the camera I never found a real use for it.
The battery life was even worse than that of the GX80. Happily it did take the same model of battery so I had plenty of those to make use of and to keep charged (2x dual and 1x single chargers on my desk).
The image quality was at least as good as the GX80 using various lenses both Panny and Oly.
I enjoyed having a refreshed camera with tilting screen. There don't seem to be many out there especially for m43 and I find the swivelly flippy flappy ones awkward, inconvenient and unnatural to use, especially in the street. Apparently they are good for video blogging but I don't go in for that.
Overall I was very disappointed and decided it wasn't good value for money. I had missed the 30 days no-questions warranty so I sold it on ebay and slightly more than covered my costs.
I don't regret having tried the GX9 nor getting rid of it. If an improved version comes along I'll be ready to give it go.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I am really eager to see what this new model has and can do. The G9 was a different camera from previous models, despite having the G prefix. Maybe the GX10 will be a groundbreaker also.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've been using my Gx85 as my travel camera with the 9-18/75-300II or 35-100 4/5.6 and so far I think it is still a very good tool. It will take something that has more than just a bigger sensor to get me to upgrade it. I don't think Pany will revisit the Gx8 (that's why I'm keeping mine), but my next body when I buy will be a smallish body - the G9 and it's software upgrade will keep me happy for a few more years. What I would like to see in the Gx10 are the software stuff in the G9, the G9's sensor and 6K for the video and stills. (You can use the 6K stuff on the G9 for 10 minute segments and I've played with it and it fits well with 4K video when you know you will need to crop.

In the current market I think the EM5III is over priced, perhaps by as much as $300. The price point and features of the Gx10 will determine its price which for me to think about would have to be a body only around $750 US.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom