Rumoured GX8 & CP+ Camera & Photo Imaging Show 2015 -- false rumour?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by MadMan, Feb 16, 2015.

1. MadMan

MadMan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2013
    Since August of last year a number of sites were repeating rumours that there would be a GX7 successor announced at this show. Well, the show came and went last weekend, and I don't see anything about the GX8 in my google searches. So, does this mean that the whole idea of an imminent replacement for the GX7 was wrong? Anyone know/find anything on this subject, and more generally if Panasonic announced anything at this show?

2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Not that I think the GX7 is in desperate need of a replacement, but it is a little bit surprising that Panasonic didn't announce anything at all new for CP+ aside from the GF7, which was announced nearly a month in advance of the show.

I'm not sure what their strategy is, but they may be trying to reduce the churn of camera bodies that they've had such an issue with in the past. That, or they may simply be waiting for a time when they won't have to share their announcement with the 500 lb gorillas like Canon refreshing most of their DSLR line-up, or Olympus refreshing its most popular model.

It would be nice if Panasonic had a clear lens roadmap for the future, the way that Fuji, Sony FE and even Olympus do. They've been quite quiet on that front for almost a year now, and I don't think anyone knows what they have planned after the release of the 30mm Macro, which is probably not on too many Must Have lists.

3. MadMan

MadMan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2013
    Yeah, the GX7 looks like a good camera, but I have been hoping for something with a lot of little tweaks, like a better VF for us eyeglass wearers.

4. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I agree the GX7 still has plenty of life in it, but most merchants have listed it as discontinued, and have exhausted their inventory. One wonders whether the GM5 was the replacement.

5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    They may also see it as a premium model with a longer product cycle. Not surprising to me at all. In the absence of major sensor advance any upgrade would be only cosmetic .

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I actually think it may have been. It came out after the GX7 was listed as discontinued. Perhaps they think the GH4 is the premium upgrade?

Panasonic also has a weird habit of mixing around their product lines and not making clear cut or obvious decisions on successor products.

7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yes. I have two. I just got back from a trip to Ethiopia however and found that the lack of a fully-articulated LCD is a major problem for me. I missed many low-angle, vertical-format shots because to get them would have involved lying in the rocks and gravel. Given that the EM5-MKII has now come out with a fully articulated LCD I am hoping that Panny will see the light. Prior to the GX7s I had a pair of G1s, which did have the full articulation. I knew I was giving that up in order to get focus peaking and much better low light performance but I did not realize how much I would miss it. I may have to switch to MkIIs and accept their relative bulkiness if Panny does not get this right in the GX8.

I'd also like to see a bigger battery. It is a PITA to change batteries in the middle of shooting, something that I had to do many times on this trip and almost never had to do with my G1s. That would require a bigger grip, however, and I'm sure that the artsy-crafty stylists would never let that happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. monorail

monorail New to Mu-43

Jan 20, 2015
    I think it's only the "body-only" option that's been discontinued; at least, that's how it's listed at B&H. The kit (w/ lens) is still available, in both black and silver, with no indication that it's disappearing anytime soon.

9. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    if there will be a successor to the gx7, i would like it to have the similar body styling of the lx100, with a less bulky grip, flat top plate but retain the built-in flash and hot shoe. i would not mind if the evf will be fixed (not tilting) like the lx100. and i sure hope the 4k and dfd features trickle in. :)

10. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Nah, I think there's essentially zero chance of the GM5 having replaced the GX7. Far fewer features, far fewer manual controls, worse ergonomics, no built-in flash, much worse EVF...they clearly target different buyers.

More likely they're simply letting it stick around for a while, as it hardly merits replacing unless they are introducing a new sensor. And given that the sensor only debuted in the GX7, I think it'll be around for a little while longer. DFD and 4K would be nice, but that's about all they could really give us as an upgrade, unless it's a different LX100-style form factor with interchangeable lenses.

11. tkbslc

I don't know if I'm an "artsy-crafty stylist", but if I wanted a bigger camera, I would have got a G6 or GH4 instead of the GX7. Add enough of those "just a little bit more" things and you end up with an SLR sized body.

12. tkbslc

I'm not saying it makes sense! But remember the GF series?

If they were letting it stick around for a while, why would they discontinue it and slash prices?

I hope you are right, though.

13. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I'm not convinced it is discontinued, as it only seems to be some retailers that are saying that (not Panasonic). There were retailers claiming the GX7 was discontinued over 6 months ago, yet it still seems to be available. It's all a bit odd!

14. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    But then again Panasoniic still list their G5 as a current model on their website.

The G6 is also now being heavily discounted as well (Well under £400 at PC World) perhaps that has also been unofficially discontinued as well.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  15. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I guess the only way we know when something is discontinued by Panasonic is when you can't buy it any more!

16. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Still available

Body only is still available. For reasons I've never been able to figure out, B&H lists many items as "discontinued" when they are out of stock.

17. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Adding a bigger grip and battery space really won't make the camera any bigger because almost any lens will protrude farther than the grip. Your slippery slope argument is usually fallacious, as it is in this case.

18. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    That assumes that any bag you hold it in is a cube. Most of my bags end up having L- or T-shaped interiors to accommodate the body and lens, but wouldn't necessarily work with a deeper grip.

I can fit my GX1 in pouches my GX7 can't fit, and my GX7 in ones that would not fit a G6 or GH4. Or even an E-M5 for that matter, thanks to its EVF up top.

I'm not saying you're wrong, it just obviously depends on how much larger you make the grip.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  19. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    I just wish we got more firmware updates.

I guess I feel spoiled by the Kaizen philosophy that Fujifilm and now Samsung have.

• Like Like x 1
  20. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Just what Val said. I love the camera, but why not give it a software refresh here and there? I'd love to have highlight warnings, or higher SS with the e shutter.