1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rumour: New Panasonic Sensor

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by vincechu, Jun 28, 2010.

1. vincechu

vincechu Mu-43 Regular

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd just share the rumor that Panasonic has developed a sensor with gapless micro-lenses.

Heres the where I read it: Olympus and Panasonic rumors Blog Archive (FT4) New Panasonic sensor with gapless design

A sensor with gapless micro-lenses, as some of you may know, should in theory improve ISO so this should be great news for micro four thirds, because as we all know the high iso performance of cameras with four thirds sensors is not as good as cameras with larger aps-c sensors.

Personally I hope this rumor is true and I hope a camera with this new sensor will be released soon (because I'm going to Shanghai and Hong Kong in Sept, 2 cities which IMO look great in lowlight situations)

oh before someone mentions it: thats the UK spelling of rumour :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Yep, I am waiting for the 'Next Big Thing' from them. They seemed very proud of their GH1 sensor advancement, and from then on I thought they were committed to development along these lines. For a time I thought that they were a bit relaxed on expanding the line up of dedicated lenses, content to allow others to provide contributory leadership as required.

I now see it slightly differently, that digital media and enterprising optical software will drive the mechanical optical development decisions. And that Pany will hold on introducing new optics for a good reason. The opticals MUST match the capabilities of the sensor.

The last time I talked to a Pany rep he entwined that they weren't interested in the legacy lens issue (a mechanical dinosaur), but were very comfortable with their business plans vis a vis dedicated lenses. We may be experiencing a lull in this department as we wait for the Next Big Thing.

I just wish they had a Pro Line of sealed units. It isn't coming according to the reps I talk to.

Photokina 21.9.–26.9.2010 cannot come too soon.

Bokeh Diem

3. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I read the same rumor, and it's exciting. Supposedly Pana is launching some sort of new camera in the coming weeks, maybe using the new sensor technology (perhaps a fixed lens m4/3 camera). Seems like the GH2 will feature not only a denser sensor with higher native dynamic range and light sensitivity, but also a new processor and now we get these gapless micro-lenses on top of that. Is it possible we can actually dream of noiseless ISO6400 m4/3 cameras, with up to ISO25600 adjusted? That would be something!

4. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    low noise at 6400 and above , oh man!

5. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    No word on electronic shutter though? that would be of even more practical use to me... continuous live view and reduced shutter lag would take a big chunk out of the DSLR market.

Cheers

Brian

6. photoSmart42

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Agreed, but perhaps that's the next generation. Look for it on the GH3 or whatever the GH2 successor will be. I think if Panasonic manages to come out with all the stuff they promised - denser sensor, better dynamic range, gapless micro-mirrors, improved processing, higher SNR, global shutter, and backlit sensor - it'll be game over for a large portion of the market players and they'd be playing catch-up for a while.

7. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Depending on which premium prices...
    • And we first have to see before we believe, right?
    • New sensor might be significantly better than current, but they are fighting same physics rules as all the others playing the same game, so I personally expect it to be 10-20% bettern and not 50% or even more
    • What is drawback of new design? And is driver performance or like m43 compactness and cost of manufactoring...

8. photoSmart42

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Obviously I'm just speculating, as is everyone else. That's part of the fun. As far as the sensor being better, consider the fact that CMOS technology hasn't had the same maturity and investment as CCD technology, so there's plenty of room for improvements. I wouldn't discount 50% improvements in SNR. I would certainly consider 5-10% improvements in CCD sensors a major accomplishment because they're simply more mature, and have had more margin squeezed out of them over time.

I fully expect the GHx to have premium pricing, and I expect there's a market for it. I'd definitely buy one if it came close to the DR and low-light performance of the 5D2/7D, and I'd be willing to spend $1200-1500 body only on something like that. Panasonic has stated publicly that the GHx series will be their premium line, so expect their best technology (and pricing) to go along with it.

9. vincechu

vincechu Mu-43 Regular

I agree with all the talk about the GH range being Panasonic's premium range, and I think introducing a premium range would be good for the system.

If the rumors of Panasonic developing a global shutter and backlit sensor were true then the future looks very bright for Panasonic indeed. I personally wouldn't be surprised if we saw new technology from Panasonic, they need to stay ahead of the APS-C mirrorless cameras which are snapping at their heels and they have a habit of coming out with "firsts" - so far first mirrorless camera, first interchangeable camera with touchscreen.

Oh I just remembered that 43 rumors a while back, mentioned Panasonic filed a patent for a new metal body resembling a G1/GH1 body, maybe this will make it into the future GHx series? would be amazing if it did. Link to that rumor is here: Olympus and Panasonic rumors Blog Archive (FT2) Panasonic GH2 patent and Panasonic 3D lenses

now just add weather proofing to everything else I've mentioned and... :hail:

-sigh- if only :wink:

10. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    If Panasonic can make better sensor to sell GH2 at premium price then why would they no do it for GF2?
    - Increased costs for better sensor (if feasible) are besides up front investments (research / manufactoring tools) typically limited, so better sensor would result in better margin (if higher prices are accepted) - or at least to maintain price level (as well as margin).

I foresee GH/Pro-line will get newer/ better sensors first, but the GF/Compact-line will for sure also get them (maintaining multiple sensors / processors / firmware is expensive). Differentiation of Pro-line versus Compact line should be on compactness (buttons / LCD-size) and non-basic features that require space / introduce costs to build camera (flash power / stereo mic / GPS? / external connections).
    - Take a look at Pentax K-7, Pro-line doesnt need to be that expensive...